Golden / Silver State 2015 - 8/29 & 8/30 Kernville, Ca

BrianF

• Member Contributer

Ok, looks like I'll be in. Haven't figured out when I'll be leaving but most likely Friday afternoon. Coming home is the bigger question...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6AM sounds early, but the map says 8 hours and 51 minutes, I'm not sure if it is accurate, but I'm sure I will need to stop for food, gas, and bathroom at some point. Straight through, at thier estimate puts me there around 3PM........this is my first touring trip so I would rather be safe than sorry. Am I worrying too much?

Also, I have never ridden in that area, anyone bringing any type of rain gear, or is that a waste of space?

Better early than late. We rolled into Kernville in the dark last time. CA155 at dusk was also...interesting. Ask Crazybro about that haha.

Personally I'm going to bring rain gear - afternoon thunderstorms are possible anytime in the Sierras. TC and I found that out the hard way last time we were at Big Hill.

18588054205_f919071086_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ok, looks like I'll be in. Haven't figured out when I'll be leaving but most likely Friday afternoon. Coming home is the bigger question...

You must have found a way to make the Mrs happy so you can get away for the weekend, nice. Its shaping up to be a good size group this year.

• Member Contributer

You must have found a way to make the Mrs happy so you can get away for the weekend, nice. Its shaping up to be a good size group this year.

Oddly, I just mentioned it to her yesterday, as I knew my work schedule would open up that weekend. All I said was, "Hey I was thinking on going on another Sierra Ride with some of the VFRD members at the end of August". She said,"OK, That's too far for me, but thanks for asking if I wanted to go. Have a good ride and be careful!...So where are we going for our anniversary?" :cool: I say she's a keeper!

She said,"OK, That's too far for me, but thanks for asking if I wanted to go. Have a good ride and be careful!...So where are we going for our anniversary?"

You think she monitors the forum? :laugh:

• Member Contributer

6AM sounds early, but the map says 8 hours and 51 minutes, I'm not sure if it is accurate, but I'm sure I will need to stop for food, gas, and bathroom at some point. Straight through, at thier estimate puts me there around 3PM........this is my first touring trip so I would rather be safe than sorry. Am I worrying too much?

Also, I have never ridden in that area, anyone bringing any type of rain gear, or is that a waste of space?

Better early than late. We rolled into Kernville in the dark last time. CA155 at dusk was also...interesting. Ask Crazybro about that haha.

Personally I'm going to bring rain gear - afternoon thunderstorms are possible anytime in the Sierras. TC and I found that out the hard way last time we were at Big Hill.

Talking about weather conditions in the Sierras reminded me of our VFR outing last Sept. We found our-self riding into an early season snow storm leaving Yosemite. Froze our rear off going over Tioga Pass, then were turned around because Sonora Pass was closed due to snow.

That trip was a month later that this one and we wont be crossing any 9000' passes so seriously doubt that will be an issue this trip.

• Member Contributer

Is everybody staying in a hotel or are there any campers this ride?

Is everybody staying in a hotel or are there any campers this ride?

Yeah as far as I know it's all hotels this time. We must be getting old. Or rich.

Or both.

• Member Contributer

Hotels work for me too, less stuff to carry. Might bring my 5 Gen then...

• Member Contributer

OK, rooms are booked for Friday and Saturday. Most likely I'll be riding up on Friday afternoon and riding with the group on Saturday the whole route. As far as Sunday though, I may ride part of the ride and break off at a decent point and head back home, have not worked that out just yet...

Option 1. Ride along until Highway 41 and then take it West to 101, then head South.

Option 2. Ride along until Highway 140 and then take it West to 99, then head South.

Option 3. Ride along until Highway 395 and then take it South.

All depends on temperatures, time and my energy level!

OK, rooms are booked for Friday and Saturday. Most likely I'll be riding up on Friday afternoon and riding with the group on Saturday the whole route. As far as Sunday though, I may ride part of the ride and break off at a decent point and head back home, have not worked that out just yet...

Option 1. Ride along until Highway 41 and then take it West to 101, then head South.

Option 2. Ride along until Highway 140 and then take it West to 99, then head South.

Sounds good, I figured that would be your plan.

Booked my room at the Kernville Inn for Friday, but leaving Saturday open for now.

On the road for the next 10 days (4 work, 6 riding) but I'll post a final route no later than 8/27.

• Member Contributer

Hotels booked - did a group ride today - 1083 turns, around 100 miles, and learned pivot steering! Also tested my new tail and side bags - I think I'm good to go!

One question for the tour pro's......I have a lighter weight, non waterproof mesh style pants/jacket which is great for summer, but will require rain gear, or my lager bulkier "waterproof" pants/jacket suit which may be too hot, but I have only used it for winter riding. It also has quite a bit more protection. I'm torn between the two and have no experience with touring - yet.......any suggestions? I know I can put on the big suit and ride around in our current heat wave, to see how it is in the summer, but I want to see if you guys have more pro's and cons thay I may not even be aware of, to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Hotels booked - did a group ride today - 1083 turns, around 100 miles, and learned pivot steering! Also tested my new tail and side bags - I think I'm good to go!

One question for the tour pro's......I have a lighter weight, non waterproof mesh style pants/jacket which is great for summer, but will require rain gear, or my lager bulkier "waterproof" pants/jacket suit which may be too hot, but I have only used it for winter riding. It also has quite a bit more protection. I'm torn between the two and have no experience with touring - yet.......any suggestions? I know I can put on the big suit and ride around in our current heat wave, to see how it is in the summer, but I want to see if you guys have more pro's and cons thay I may not even be aware of, to help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!

My 2 cents is wear the mesh and bring rain gear. I wear mesh for anything longer than a day ride. Heat fatigues me so badly - I figure the lesser protection is a fair trade.

Last time we did this ride there were some very hot sections - you can always put on more gear, but you can't always take more off.

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

Well the first ride we did two years ago it was hot! In the upper 90s and 100+ on my way home and I had my perforated leathers on. As long as we were moving, I was fine. Last year I brought my textile gear, sans water proof liner for the pants and of course it not only rained on us, but snowed as well! After that trip I bought a rain suit that fits over my riding gear, leather or textile and I'll be packing that just in case.

The key to touring is to wear comfortable gear and allow for layering, whether layering underneath for warmth or on top for water proofing. This year I might wear my textile suit again but with the rain gear handy just in case. I would suggest picking up a light easy to pack rain suit and wear the gear that will be most comfortable for the temperatures you'll be riding in most of the day. On one trip I actually brought two suits, my textile touring suit for the ride up and back and my perforated leather for the twisty roads.

All I can say is, be prepared for anything, that means high temps and low temps, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it IMO.

• Member Contributer

I am planning on camping but I do not have a campground picked out. suggestions welcome.

I hope to be at the Shell Station, 2619 S. E Ave, Fresno buy 2 pm. Red fifth w Givi bags and windscreen.

Max

• Member Contributer

I am planning on camping but I do not have a campground picked out. suggestions welcome.

I hope to be at the Shell Station, 2619 S. E Ave, Fresno buy 2 pm. Red fifth w Givi bags and windscreen.

Max

I went out to smoke a cig and did a time calculation. This SumSum trip showed six days of riding w/o rest is too much for this old body. It's five days ride from Denver where I am now; 99Grin kindly putting me up. That leaves one day for off-route exploration and rest. Too Much.

I'm disappointed I won't be joining you folks. Ride safe and have a great time; in that order.

Terry

• Member Contributer

Just finished a three day backpack trip near Mammoth and the smoke all along 395 is terrible from the fire in Kings Canyon. Talked it over with the Mrs and I already did a ride near Shasta in the smoke this summer so unfortunately decided to cancel our reservations for this trip.

If conditions improve I will scramble to make plans but for now may just do day ride Sunday over Sonora and try to connect with the group. Bummed....

• Member Contributer

Sounds good, I figured that would be your plan.

Booked my room at the Kernville Inn for Friday, but leaving Saturday open for now.

On the road for the next 10 days (4 work, 6 riding) but I'll post a final route no later than 8/27.

Hey Brian. PM sent.

• Member Contributer

My friend Patrick and I will be leaving Fresno Saturday morning... was wondering if you guys had an estimate in regards to the time you will be leaving Kernville Saturday morning? This will help us determine what time we should leave Fresno, and more importantly, try to gauge an adequate meet up location.

Back from 1900 miles of backroad strafing on the 1200. You can actually touch the pavement with the corner of a Givi V35 - and not even lowside. Don't drag a knee in textile pants though...

Smoke/fires were out of control on my ride too - can't blame you for bailing Rich. Shoot me a text if you decide to meet up with us along the way.

My friend Patrick and I will be leaving Fresno Saturday morning... was wondering if you guys had an estimate in regards to the time you will be leaving Kernville Saturday morning? This will help us determine what time we should leave Fresno, and more importantly, try to gauge an adequate meet up location.

I'd guess KSU at 9am. Gives us time to eat breakfast, pop ibuprofen etc.

Lastly, I will post a final route in the next 24 hours.

If for whatever reason you're not going to be joining, please let me know asap.

• Member Contributer

I am planning to do a day trip to Sonora Sunday and should be rolling into town about lunch time, ~12:30. Reno to Sonora is ~3.5 hrs about the same as from Shaver Lake. Would be great to meet up and have lunch together, if not I understand not the easiest thing to do.

The conditions around Reno have improved dramatically, smoke is completely gone. From what I've seen on web cams around Shaver Lake the smoke has significantly decreased so that is promising.

Have a safe trip!

Alrighty children, here are our final routes. The Rough Fire has CA180 closed going into Kings Canyon, but it's still open as a through road. Saturday shouldn't be too long of a day - I've added the Huntington Lake loop to the end of Saturday for a little extra fun. Also, if people are willing to get into some shenanigans, Mineral King Road (north of Three Rivers) is an out-and-back option. Haven't ridden it for years, but I remember it being fun.

Sunday is a go as previously planned.

I'll have this all in my GPS and I'm happy to lead the group. It's gonna be hot though - bring your cooling vests, mesh gear, water etc.

Saturday: https://goo.gl/maps/NRbje

Sunday: https://goo.gl/maps/y6KoZ

Unless anything else crazy comes up, see y'all in Kernville. Last one to arrive buys the first round!

• Member Contributer

I'll most likely be heading up to Kernville this route. My wife want's me to wait until she gets home from work before I leave, so worst case scenario, I'll be leaving at 2PM, best case 1PM. Route says 3:52 but depending on traffic in and through LA, + :45 ~ 1:00 I'd say. If I really hit the gas hard maybe less...

https://goo.gl/maps/w0lDf

I'll most likely be heading up to Kernville this route. My wife want's me to wait until she gets home from work before I leave, so worst case scenario, I'll be leaving at 2PM, best case 1PM. Route says 3:52 but depending on traffic in and through LA, + :45 ~ 1:00 I'd say. If I really hit the gas hard maybe less...

https://goo.gl/maps/w0lDf

Haha "if."

Ride safe, we'll see ya when you get there.

Archived