Golden / Silver State 2015 - 8/29 & 8/30 Kernville, Ca

BrianF

Alrighty boys and girls, time to make this baby official.

After some discussion with last year's attendees, we chose August 29th and 30th as the dates for the 2nd Annual Golden/Silver State Ride. Please check in and let me know if those dates work for you.

In order to "meet in the middle," I propose a basecamp in Three Rivers (https://goo.gl/maps/HgN2y). It's roughly equidistant from LA, SF, and Reno.

Routes for day rides aren't difficult to come by - plenty of good roads in that area.

https://goo.gl/maps/LPSYN

https://goo.gl/maps/GlR2d

Sleeping-wise, there's a Comfort Inn in Three Rivers ($139/night) or camping at Horse Creek on Lake Kaweah.

Due to my work schedule, I'll probably have to show up on Friday night, ride Saturday and Sunday, then slog home Sunday night. Depending on the response from the SoCal contingent, I have some point-to-point ride options in my back pocket as well.

If you like scenery, twisty roads, good people, beer, and shenanigans, chime in.

UPDATE: Given a light response from the SoCal contingent, we've gone point-to-point. Meeting location is Kernville, CA on the night of 8/28.

Saturday 8/29 -- https://goo.gl/maps/aoYkz

Sunday 8/30 -- https://goo.gl/maps/UnuIE

IN:

BrianF (NorCal)

St. Stephen (NorCal)

tc339 (NorCal)

Duc2V4 (SoCal)

JMS (Fresno)

JMS Friend (Fresno)

RC1237V (NorCal)

MaxSwell? (Minnesota (!)) <--------- A for effort

crazybrother (NorCal) <------ wants to stay employed

RichVee4 (Reno) <------ smoked out

RichVee4 Monica (Reno) <------ non-smoking

dadofseven (Reno) <------- Serving our country

TJ (NorCal) <------- Not cool enough

IMG_1828_zpse2ab2796.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The roads and scenery around Kings Canyon / Sequoia look great. I'm being a little selfish and trying to make this a loop from Reno. Was originally considering a CW loop down 395 and up 49 when we were discussing Point to Point that was possible. I can reverse the loop and come down 99 to Three Rivers. I would come over Sonora Pass to 99, 380 miles, which involves some 99 but at least I bypass the Sacto to Merced section which I despise even driving a car.

So my dilemma is I will want to continue south from where we meet and stay but Three Rivers puts me pretty far south so I'd miss a lot of the good roads North of there.

My preference would be Oakhurst again and then riding south on your map 1 toward Three Rivers. Looking at the map there is a paved road leaving Bass Lake "Malum Ridge" that goes south and then to Rd222 which continues south and comes out on Auberry Rd. Avoids 41 to Fresno.

The roads and scenery around Kings Canyon / Sequoia look great. I'm being a little selfish and trying to make this a loop from Reno. Was originally considering a CW loop down 395 and up 49 when we were discussing Point to Point that was possible. I can reverse the loop and come down 99 to Three Rivers. I would come over Sonora Pass to 99, 380 miles, which involves some 99 but at least I bypass the Sacto to Merced section which I despise even driving a car.

So my dilemma is I will want to continue south from where we meet and stay but Three Rivers puts me pretty far south so I'd miss a lot of the good roads North of there.

My preference would be Oakhurst again and then riding south on your map 1 toward Three Rivers. Looking at the map there is a paved road leaving Bass Lake "Malum Ridge" that goes south and then to Rd222 which continues south and comes out on Auberry Rd. Avoids 41 to Fresno.

Excellent feedback Rich, thanks. I'm totally fine with Oakhurst too - mostly I picked Three Rivers so that it would be easier for the SoCal guys to get to. Depending on what I hear (or don't) from them, everything can be subject to change. No reservations being made or anything like that.

I just drove Malum Ridge road a couple weeks ago - a little bumpy, but definitely good enough. Will keep it in mind.

• Member Contributer

I'm in! Well, as long as I can keep the wife happy! We haven't taken our vacation yet and until I plan that, she might object to me going on a 4th MC ride in one year! So, off to plan a vacation for her and I first... :wink:

• Member Contributer

Doesn't your wife travel with you, bring her. Monica is planning to come this trip again, so sure she would enjoy her company.

Quick look at the map and its possible to stay in the Mtns away from Fresno between Oakhurst to Three Rivers and do a side trip into King Canyon similar to Brians map 1, just without the loop, approx 240 miles.

Brian, you were on Malum Ridge two weeks ago, curious to hear that story. Anyway good to know its a decent road.

Hoping we can make this work for everyone.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't your wife travel with you, bring her. Monica is planning to come this trip again, so sure she would enjoy her company.

Quick look at the map and its possible to stay in the Mtns away from Fresno between Oakhurst to Three Rivers and do a side trip into King Canyon similar to Brians map 1, just without the loop, approx 240 miles.

Brian, you were on Malum Ridge two weeks ago, curious to hear that story. Anyway good to know its a decent road.

Hoping we can make this work for everyone.

My wife only rides pillion and long trips like these are not her cup of tea. I think if the VFR had better accommodations for a passenger, she might consider it. The last long distance ride (3 full days of riding) was 3 years ago and when we got home, she essentially said, "I can cross that off my bucket list!". As much as she enjoys riding with me, she isn't comfortable enough to be on the back of the bike for more than a few hours. :sad:

Excellent feedback Rich, thanks. I'm totally fine with Oakhurst too - mostly I picked Three Rivers so that it would be easier for the SoCal guys to get to. Depending on what I hear (or don't) from them, everything can be subject to change. No reservations being made or anything like that.

I just drove Malum Ridge road a couple weeks ago - a little bumpy, but definitely good enough. Will keep it in mind.

I am totally flexible, wherever the meeting point is, I'll just adjust my departure time accordingly. Although let's see what other So Cal riders have to say, assuming I'm not the only one again for this year.

I was in a Honda CR-V haha. My brother was out from Florida and we were out exploring/camping/backpacking/climbing around there.

Also was scouting roads for future motorbiking/dualsporting, as always. Speaking of which, CA168 with the Huntington Lake Rd loop is a must!

I'll be booking a room at the Comfort Inn... Who wants to split it with me? Two beds/Two people.

Where's TJ? He's camping-averse haha

#poisonoak

Here I is!

Count me in, and I'll gladly split a room with ya Crazybro.

I too will be coming out Friday night and heading back Sunday afternoon/night.

I've got to get up for work at 4:30am Monday so I can't stay out too late.

So looking forward to this.....and George..... No spooning.

Tj.

I'll be booking a room at the Comfort Inn... Who wants to split it with me? Two beds/Two people.

Where's TJ? He's camping-averse haha

#poisonoak

I'll have you know that I'll be moto camping next weekend up at Mount Lassen.

So ✊ ? ? hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I'll have you know that I'll be moto camping next weekend up at Mount Lassen.

So ✊ hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wow, turning over a new [poison oak] leaf.

Oh and both y'all don't book that room yet. Might change the routing depending on SoCal participation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey Brian. Sounds like you guys are going to be riding in my neck of the woods that weekend. Hopefully I can get the bike cleaned up after that rather embarassing mishap :wacko:...ughhhh... and join you guys for the day....

So no other So Cal riders chimed in yet?

Nah, nobody yet. Leaning towards a point-to-point now.

Checking the schedule. Who is tenting it?

I probably will, as usual. I'm also fine with staying in a hotel and splitting the cost with a roomie.

Hey Brian. Sounds like you guys are going to be riding in my neck of the woods that weekend. Hopefully I can get the bike cleaned up after that rather embarassing mishap :wacko:...ughhhh... and join you guys for the day....

Yes sir, we'll be right in your backyard. Definitely keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

What mishap?????? I don't know what you're talking about...

• Member Contributer

I would plan as you see fit. I doubt we'll see any more So Cal riders chiming in at this point. I still plan on attending though.

Yes sir, we'll be right in your backyard. Definitely keep an eye on this thread as it develops.

Did you guys have a "Team Building" exercise like we did two years ago?

I would plan as you see fit. I doubt we'll see any more So Cal riders chiming in at this point. I still plan on attending though.

Did you guys have a "Team Building" exercise like we did two years ago?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Okay cool kids, unless we get a late arrival from the SoCal side, we're going point-to-point.

Meet Friday night in Kernville (like last time), hopefully don't get killed at that bar across the street, then do a couple days of shredding:

Saturday 8/29 -- https://goo.gl/maps/aoYkz

Sunday 8/30 -- https://goo.gl/maps/UnuIE

I managed to push my Ohio trip back a day, so I may take Monday off and continue on through the Sierras. Not sure at this point.

Any objections to the new plan?

• Member Contributer

Route looks great. I would come down 395 on Friday and meet at Kernville. Any hotel recommendations for either night?

Taco Bells... :beer:

I'm drinking a Mt Dew right this second.

Last time we stayed at the Kernville Inn (http://www.kernvilleinn.com/) as I recall. Next to a cool diner (Cheryl's) and across the street from a sketchy bar where we can play pool and possibly get stabbed.

Archived