Daugherty Front And Rear Suspension Install

rhoderage

• Member Contributer

I finally got it all back together and wanted to share some pics of my reservoir mount. I had Mr. Daugherty install a longer than stock braided reservoir line with the idea that I was going to mount it behind the passenger peg since I wanted it completely out of the way.

After much deliberation my plan was to swap out the passenger peg bolts with longer ones (front - 8x45mm, rear 8x60mm) and mount a bracket to the end of the bolts and hang adel clamps off the bracket. Bracket was a 1" x 4" x 1/8" aluminum...probably should have used 1/16" thickness instead in the name of sprung weight savings...

The reservoir was mounted as high as possible for max clearance and that presented a challenge because there isn't a lot of room between the plastic tray and the back of the passenger peg mount (about 15 mm) Unfortunately, the hardware store was out of the 5X12 stainless bolts (used to mount the adel clamps to the bracket) so I had to settle for the 5X10. 2mm doesn't sound like much but definitely would have been helpful when trying to mount the adel clamps to the bracket. Also, there is barely any room to get a nut on the front passenger peg bolt but I was not going to be denied. Here are some more pics for your amusement...

That looks great. Nice work!

• Member Contributer

Thank you sir!

I'm not saying how much aluminum I went through due to design changes and general screw ups. One would think it is not that difficult to drill four holes but I successfully proved otherwise.

• Member Contributer

Got to ride my 130 mile loop this morning with the DMr suspension. Cogswell stated it eloquently in another thread... to paraphrase... big improvement when leaned over but less plush. The sweeper with the suggested speed of 35 that I normally take at 60 was taken at 65 with a much more planted feel to it. To be fair I have not even set the sag on it or tweaked the knobs yet so I'm confident the plushness can improve. I can now see what everyone meant when the said the preload is a tough adjustment on the rear after the conversion...

hey Guys, on average how long did it take you to remove rear shock and replace with the DMR unit? I have one sitting next to me in it's box and need to figure out when to do it (wether I can do it on my isngle day off or wait for say, 2 days or so)

• Member Contributer

single day should be more than enough

study the workshop manual and schematic so you know the steps/sequence and make sure you have the right tools

clean you underside first if really dirty

I think a shop can do this in 2 hours...

• Member Contributer

What Dutchy said...I am not quick and was able to do it in under a day. Make sure you have a jack to help mainpulate the swing arm when removing and installing. I believe I found it easiest to get the upper bracket into position by itself first and then install the shock...

Post #11 of this link was also VERY helpful to me: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78580-shock-replacement-6th-gen/page-2

Getting my fork seals done next week (they both blew at the same time... damn deep pothole and undersprung front) and I was figuring to get hte rear shock done at the same time as the seals. if it's only an extra like 2 hours then happy days.

Archived