Picture Thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got out for a little fresh air during this very weird "shelter in place" time. Been out of commission with a broken rib shortly after installing the new headers, forgot how damn good they sound. 

IMG_0105.jpg

11 hours ago, mountainslide said:

Got out for a little fresh air during this very weird "shelter in place" time. Been out of commission with a broken rib shortly after installing the new headers, forgot how damn good they sound. 

IMG_0105.jpg

What headers are they and what difference have they made ? Obviously cat removal but performance ?

13 hours ago, BeePee said:

What headers are they and what difference have they made ? Obviously cat removal but performance ?

They are the only ones available I could find, made by member on here Duc2V4. Butt dyno and the lighter front end in 1st and 2nd tell me a bit more power. Definitely a bit throatier than stock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, lazyeye said:

Just back from my mechanic, out and about for a shakedown.

IMG_20200528_200120.jpg

I still love the look of these fabulous machines.

• Member Contributer

The other day I went exploring, trying to find the route that the Butler map shows between two points. Edit: it appears I missed an important detail on the map and went the wrong way. We rode a paved mountain trail through tons of tree debris and over fallen trees until we simply ran out of pavement and had to go back. Oh well.  At least we got to see this great view.

IMG_20200531_144002.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 6/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, lazyeye said:

The other day I went exploring, trying to find the route that the Butler map shows between two points. Edit: it appears I missed an important detail on the map and went the wrong way. We rode a paved mountain trail through tons of tree debris and over fallen trees until we simply ran out of pavement and had to go back. Oh well.  At least we got to see this great view.

IMG_20200531_144002.jpg

In those situations, I like to us the tried and true "I not lost, I just seeking alternate routes." I've never had to contend with fallen trees across my "route finding" though. 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, BeePee said:

Finally got out to play on my new VFR, love it.....

West coast of Scotland

20200530-205048.jpg

20200607-120410.jpg

20200601-204202.jpg

20200606-164105.jpg

20200606-165435.jpg

Enjoy the new bike mate, so lucky to have such great riding in Scotland. Looks like a beautiful day. Here in North Queensland we have great weather all year round but boring straight roads. Ride safe. 

• Member Contributer

I rode 1100 miles this weekend. Dodged a few thunderstorms then got caught in a whole lot of cold rain and wind. Had to reroute to avoid a late spring snow storm at high elevation. 

IMG_20200612_161824.jpg

On 6/4/2020 at 9:05 PM, MaxSwell said:

In those situations, I like to us the tried and true "I not lost, I just seeking alternate routes." I've never had to contend with fallen trees across my "route finding" though. 

In my younger days, I would brave a gravel road for a bit if I ran into one.  I'd like to say I'm much wiser now, but I did it again a few weeks ago, but only for about half a mile before turning around.  That "road" was supposed to lead to a cool old bridge, but I never saw it, so I gave up and got back to the sweet safe haven of pavement.

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2020 at 8:33 AM, TimC said:

In my younger days, I would brave a gravel road for a bit if I ran into one.  I'd like to say I'm much wiser now, but I did it again a few weeks ago, but only for about half a mile before turning around.  That "road" was supposed to lead to a cool old bridge, but I never saw it, so I gave up and got back to the sweet safe haven of pavement.

I have to say, in my getting lost travels, I've ridden lots of gravel roads and it did not take long to get over the reluctance to do it. There have been some gravel that turned to imbedded soccer-ball sized rocks. But, undeterred, I learned how to ride standing up and looking further into the distance to pick a general path, avoiding the really big ones. The tires did great, my knees got a workout, and no bad results. It was first gear for miles on end.

There was one road from Cedar City, UT to a back enterance to Zion National Park passing near Brians Head, labeled "closed in winter" that became a first-gear-for-miles road but, Holy Socks, what views I had of that other-worldly geology. 

Bottom line: gravel can be great.

edit: I realized this is a picture thread, but I got no picks. Sorry.

re-edit: I now recall where the incident in my first paragraph happened. I was riding up the west side of the Noxon Reservoir after camping in the most secluded public campground I'd ever used. Tarmac to the campground and part of the way north. Then deteriorated to a wide "goat trail".

This pic is from the campground:

NoxonResevior.JPG

On 6/15/2020 at 9:41 PM, MaxSwell said:

I have to say, in my getting lost travels, I've ridden lots of gravel roads and it did not take long to get over the reluctance to do it. There have been some gravel that turned to imbedded soccer-ball sized rocks. But, undeterred, I learned how to ride standing up and looking further into the distance to pick a general path, avoiding the really big ones. The tires did great, my knees got a workout, and no bad results. It was first gear for miles on end.

There was one road from Cedar City, UT to a back enterance to Zion National Park passing near Brians Head, labeled "closed in winter" that became a first-gear-for-miles road but, Holy Socks, what views I had of that other-worldly geology. 

Bottom line: gravel can be great.

edit: I realized this is a picture thread, but I got no picks. Sorry.

I didn't mind an occasional gravel road for a few a while, but what changed my mind was almost getting stuck on one in the middle of nowhere after dark.  No cellphone service and no houses anywhere close.  I had stopped for some reason, and the bike came to rest at the edge of the road, with the rear wheel in a rut and the bike pointed slightly up, kind of toward the middle of the road.  I tried to move a couple times but spun the rear wheel.  The side angle of the road was acute enough I couldn't get my sidestand down to dismount and just walk the bike up the slight grade.  After a few tries I was able to get moving again, but that was it for me for gravel roads for a few years.

• Member Contributer
On 6/17/2020 at 11:03 AM, TimC said:

I didn't mind an occasional gravel road for a few a while, but what changed my mind was almost getting stuck on one in the middle of nowhere after dark.  No cellphone service and no houses anywhere close.  I had stopped for some reason, and the bike came to rest at the edge of the road, with the rear wheel in a rut and the bike pointed slightly up, kind of toward the middle of the road.  I tried to move a couple times but spun the rear wheel.  The side angle of the road was acute enough I couldn't get my sidestand down to dismount and just walk the bike up the slight grade.  After a few tries I was able to get moving again, but that was it for me for gravel roads for a few years.

That would be a traumatic experience for most, including me. Perhaps I'd been lucky. But practice can bring knowledge and confidence.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:41 PM, MaxSwell said:

This campground looks amazing!  Great photo!  I'd sure like to find this place someday.  If I read your post correct, it's in MN?  I'm only one State away (Cheeseconsin).

NoxonResevior.JPG

59 minutes ago, lazyeye said:

Out on the road. Sunset in the mountains. 

IMG_20200620_200638.jpg

Great shot of the sun tucking itself to bed. I wish I could be more disciplined to stop for opportunistic photos.  Someone should start collecting the best of the best VFR landscape photos and put a calendar together... maybe sales

proceeds could go towards the VFRD website expenses. 

Archived