P.e.i. / Nova Scotia Riding ?

KanadianKen

I'm doing a trip withe my wife and teenage kids this summer - and am considering trailering the VFR so that if I have an opportunity to go for a ride I can.

We'll be in HAlifax for a few days - but most of trip will be in Charlottetown at a hotel.

WOndering what the roads are like out that way - and if its worth the effort to bring the VFR.

On the return leg - we'll be going through Bangor, Maine and Pittsfield, MA. Hoping to ride with Travis on the return leg through MA.....

SO - whats the deal on PEI and NS roads?

thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

If you can make it to the Cabot Trail, do it, well worth the effort. Most of the roads I was on in Nova Scotia were great, the exception was the Light house trail near Halifax, just too much up and down, could be fixed by now, but it was more an adventurer road, not because of gravel or anything, just the road itself.

post-21910-0-25353000-1435684386.jpg

Don't think I'll have time to hit Cabot Trail - but if I recall the scenery was spectacular last time I drove it - about 20 years ago.

HOw about PEI - anyone...... ?

• Member Contributer

Lot of people like the loop around Peggy's Cove, but there's a lot of traffic on it.

Taking the loop around the other side of St. Margaret's Bay is a nice ride around the Aspotogan peninsula, but can get trafficky. Good early in the morning though. There are some nice rides around the LeHave river too.

Coming from the NB border, there's a loop through Advocate Harbour that a friend of mine swears by. Can jump off the TCH around Amherst and get back on at Truro.

Our pavement is in pretty hard shape, there are a LOT of holes and frost heaves this summer.

Don't know much about PEI, sorry.

Google PEI roadmap and you will see things are not twisty there.

When I rode in PEI, it was simply for transportation.

I boarded the fairy to get to the island, and rode the bridge five days later when I left.

The Cabot Trail, on the other hand....

Not motorcycle related, but Singing Sands Provincial Park beach is the most fun I've ever had at the beach. The river spills out into the ocean, creating a natural current. You can jump off of the bridge into the river, ride the current out from the beach, and then it pushes you back to shore.

Not the prettiest beach I've enjoyed. Not the warmest I've enjoyed. By far the most fun.

I've ridden these near Halifax a few years ago:

* Marine Dr - North out of Halifax along the coast. Scenic and winding and scenic again. Take a camera it's scenic.

* 333 (Lighthouse Dr) - South out of Halifax to Peggy's Cove.

• Member Contributer

PEI is great just to ride and get around lots of things to see ,I would definetely take the bike and go riding . Lots of potato fields etc ,my buddy is the town clerk in charlottetown if you need anything let me know .

Archived