New Vfr Owner In Sw England

Thumbs

• Member Contributer

I've got a new VFR800F in metallic black coming on July 10th, only my second Honda in 48 years of biking, there was always a European bike and the odd Harley to be had from ones of my mates at a bargain price

Did the whole Classic Bike scene in the 1980's, which was enjoyable at the time, but managed to move out just as the prices took off, sold it all and moved on to a Laverda Jota, which I sold in 2010

2 Years of no bikes was too much, so I bought a CCM R30 Supermoto in 2012, should have researched that a bit more closely as at my age 4 hrs of "balls out" riding on that took a couple of days to get over, but lovely bike and she has a special place in my heart

Decided to get a sports/tourer and thought a BMW F800ST would be the answer, so I bought a new one in April 2013, initially it was and my grandson and I enjoyed an idyllic summer that year as we traveled around the Country, went over for the Manx GP as well

This May the bike developed a tick over and stalling problem, the dealers had it back so often they had it more than me, the most recent occasion after 10 days they were still unable to give me a date when I might get it back

Rather than let the summer slip away I bought a CBR600F3 of a mate for a bargain price and put 1,500 miles on it in a week.....the forks were a revelation, much more planted and no dive, just what I had always wanted

After 31 days with the dealers the BMW came back in a sufficiently acceptable state to get traded in yesterday ...... I can't wait

I've only had a quick look at the site but I'm liking what I see, well done guys

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site m8.

Interesting biking history but I bet yr looking forward to yr new purchase...it's a lovely bike. Did you test ride one before you ordered it?

Pictures mandatory for you to become a real VFRD member, apparantly! :beer:

• Member Contributer

No never got a chance to test ride one, the Honda dealership is Fowlers in Bristol, they're located in one of the busiest parts of the city and dog rough roads to get to a decent test road, so it never happened

I figured if I could deal with a CBR with clip ons and rear sets, plus Harley 45's with hand change and suicide clutch, etc then the VFR was going to be a breeze

The BMW had pretty much the same forks as my old BSAs and would dive like a good un and that's with ABS, BMW are living on an established name, whereas Honda are permanently chasing their tails to keep up with their Japanese counterparts

I've got the days after I pick up sorted, bike racing at Pembrey on both days, so that's 400 miles towards the first service, which looks like it might be the Monday after picking up the bike on Friday

• Member Contributer

Excellent. I'm sure you'll love it; there are a lot of satisfied owners on here and I loved it when I test rode it last year.

• Member Contributer

The weather played along with me and I collected the bike this morning, it was about noon when I actually got on the road, straight into a 1/2hr crawl through roadworks, once out on the road, with the engine now definitely warmed up it was a joy to ride

After the first 20 miles the motor had loosened up and was a lot more responsive to a whiff of throttle, kept it below 5,000 for about 70 miles, then got out onto a decent stretch of highway and was giving it a quick burst up to 6,000 in 4th & 5th, cruising at 74 mph at 5,000 with the motor eager for more

Stopped for food and water at 96 miles, when I came back to the bike it all felt familiar now (and impressive), so took the revs up to just over 6,000 a couple of times and just once up to 7,000 at which point the VTEC cut in and bike suddenly took off with a growl rising from the motor

The Puig double bubble screen is excellent as is the Ermax hugger, parked next to a VFR at the dealership was one with the Honda one on, I'm glad I chose the Ermax now

Only pic so far is when the clock had 0 miles on it at the dealership, the sparkles in the black paint look wicked in the sunlight

post-33375-0-33105400-1436554661.jpg

• Member Contributer

Over 500 miles now so had the motor up to just over 9,000, loving the engine roar and the power boost, reminds me of "hitting the cam" for those of you old enough to remember that

The engine note has changed and is much looser, it revs like the CBR, deceptively fast, whisked up to 90 in 5th with total ease, very pleasing

The double bubble screen is doing the business, I came back from a ride on Saturday with bugs spattered over my visor but only a couple on the screen

Now has 3 coats of Auto Glym polish on and it shows

The brakes came as a pleasant surprise, I'm used to Brembo discs and these seemed as good, the ABS beats the BMW which could be a bit obtrusive at times

Overall I'm very pleased with the bike and can't really find anything wanting on a mass production sports/tourer, nice one Honda

post-33375-0-60837300-1437417591.jpgpost-33375-0-00657200-1437417620.jpgpost-33375-0-17496600-1437417652.jpgpost-33375-0-14535300-1437417682.jpg

Archived