New Vfr800's Not Selling Very Well

cavman69

It would be interesting to see Honda put the 1200 v4 into the 8th gen chassis. The 1200cc v4 engine is physically smaller than the 800 VTEC as I understand it and honda would certainly have the engineering prowess to make it happen.

Now that is a bike that would love to ride! But I am betting that the 1200 engine torque would warp and twist the 6th/8th gen frame.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I sat on the New 8th Gen at the dealer in the DC area (coleman powersports) and also on the FZ-09 AND the FJ-09. The FZ has more of the feel of the VFR if you dropped the bars a little...sporty. The FJ-09 feels like you're wearing it...with a sit up and beg position. It was more like sitting on a Ducati Multi-strada...but a little lower in the saddle. My 5th Gen I sit ON the bike...but it is not nearly as aggressive as my SV650 trackday bike with low clip-ons and rearsets moved up and back...

The FJ-09 felt like a toy compared to my 5th Gen...soooo light and felt shorter in comparison. The bash guards on the hand grips make it feel very wide though...should wheelie like a houligan!

Matt

• Member Contributer

While I think the new VFR is a gorgeous bike, there are a lot of other options out there these days, and several of them are less expensive. If I were in the market for a new bike I think the FZ-09 or FJ-09 would be near the top of my list.

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind I love my 6th gen but I wouldn't go out and buy an 8th gen because the VTEC engine isn't all that impressive to me and it's heavy. I had to invest a lot of money to make it more comfortable for longer rides and if it tips over it is almost impossible for me to lift it by myself.

Still love my 6th gen though and in no hurry to replace as it does everything I want and need. But if I were looking to replace it I would seriously consider a Ninja 1000 because the ergonomics are perfect for me right out of the crate, it's lighter, more powerful, and I can put a Givi rack on it and use all my hard cases. It even has an adjustable windscreen and I could pick up a new 2013 ABS model for just under 8k. No it's not a V4 but when you are 5'7" and weight 145 lbs the VFR requires very careful handling at slow speeds.

I've owned and daily-ridden the 5th, 6th, and now 8th Gens, and I can say without shadow of a doubt that the 2014 model is an order of magnitude more maneuverable in low-speed traffic than its' predecessors. Anyone who doubts the veracity of the latest VFR clearly hasn't used it as an every-dayer yet.

Just for comparison (and because my family has a long connection with the marque), I took an Indian Scout out for a test ride on the weekend. I absolutely loved it for what it is, and whilst I'd dearly love to add one to the garage, I'd have to sell something else first to make room. My 2014 VFR can do everything a Scout would (posing for cruiser magazines and turning up to club meets withstanding), where as the Indian wouldn't make nearly as good a commuter & traffic-beater.

Well I am fairly confident with the 30k miles from daily commutes to multiday rides through NM and CO in my opinion of the lovely 6th gen parked snugly in my garage. It's a great bike but still overweight, something they did not remedy with the 8th gen and with the bikes that are on the market today (not that I am even looking at other bikes right now) Honda needs to step up if they plan to earn my future business.

What is the fascination with having your VFR be lighter? Has anyone moaning about the weight of the new VFR actually ridden it? It hides it weight extremely well. Is super easy to ride at high speeds and parking lot speeds. How much weight do you want it to lose?

I know super sports keep getting lighter and lighter, but at what cost? 675r falls over in the driveway and is a complete loss. An acquaintance of mine was riding a GSXR 750 when someone pulled out in front of him. He clipped the quarter panel with the front of the bike. The fork tubes didn't bend, but the welds at the steering head cracked.

On the track, light weight is great, but on the street in the real world, a little well hidden beefiness isn't a bad thing.

What is the fascination with having your VFR be lighter? Has anyone moaning about the weight of the new VFR actually ridden it? It hides it weight extremely well. Is super easy to ride at high speeds and parking lot speeds. How much weight do you want it to lose?

All of it? OK, the anti gravity module is not ready for prime time I guess. :happy:

Riding with any speed at all is fine, no problem.

Mine only feels a bit heavy to push around the garage,

and if it leans much more than it does on the kick stand when it's stopped, then it's really heavy.

Or if it's horizontal, then it seemingly weighs a ton.. :pissed:

• Member Contributer

Having ridden my SV650 (425 wet) on he track and on the street....comparatively the VFR is a pig at 100lbs heavier (6th gen at 520 wet)...100lbs is a LOT. Lighter is not a 320lb dirtbike, but a 425lb bike carries it weight better than a 520lb bike or 570lbs with all my shit attached...

I know super sports keep getting lighter and lighter, but at what cost? 675r falls over in the driveway and is a complete loss. An acquaintance of mine was riding a GSXR 750 when someone pulled out in front of him. He clipped the quarter panel with the front of the bike. The fork tubes didn't bend, but the welds at the steering head cracked.

On the track, light weight is great, but on the street in the real world, a little well hidden beefiness isn't a bad thing.

You're doing it wrong.

I realize the instinctive grab and yank on the bars is not the way to go.

I'll call it a quarter ton done the right way. Still not a light weight. :happy2:

• Member Contributer

Maybe bring the weight down to Ducati Multistrada level...and while you are at it 150-160 hp would feel a bit better two up when passing. :-)

Seriously though, the earlier comparison of the 8G to the weight of the 6G is not very accurate. When I rode the 8G it felt like a smaller bike than the 6G even though it has only lost 22 lbs. I know Honda does an amazing job hiding the weight of their bikes (ask anyone who pilots an ST1300) once moving but like Colin Chapman stated "Add lightness."

That helps under acceleration, braking and with centripetal forces in handling.

• Member Contributer

You're doing it wrong.
Just hit the brakes... it'll stand right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe bring the weight down to Ducati Multistrada level...and while you are at it 150-160 hp would feel a bit better two up when passing. :-)

Seriously though, the earlier comparison of the 8G to the weight of the 6G is not very accurate. When I rode the 8G it felt like a smaller bike than the 6G even though it has only lost 22 lbs. I know Honda does an amazing job hiding the weight of their bikes (ask anyone who pilots an ST1300) once moving but like Colin Chapman stated "Add lightness."

That helps under acceleration, braking and with centripetal forces in handling.

I won't argue against a few more ponies. I won't even argue that the race replicas should "add lightness" . But on the VFR, the weight would not be my first upgrade.

A bike like this should have fully adjustable suspension, including rear ride height adjustment. It gets used for far too many different things to have anything less.

Even though the Vtec transition isn't as intrusive, there really is no use for it other than for Honda to over engineer something. It adds nothing but cost of ownership.

A little more power wouldn't hurt, but it doesn't need to compete with a ZX14R. 125-150 HP would be fine.

Transmission is sloppy; and the final drive lash is way too lose.

If Honda could address the weight by reworking the engine and trans, then great.

Multistrada notwithstanding, for its purpose, the VFR's weight isn't too far off, IMO.

Kawasaki made the mistake of listening to the masses cry for a lightweight super sport when they delivered the 2004 ZX10R. If I wanted raw, I wouldn't have bought a VFR.

• Member Contributer

An aprilia dealer just opened near me. New 2015 Tuono (999 cc v4) weighs 407 lbs dry. Has abs and massive brakes and fully adjustable sachs suspension and steering damper. I think I saw a review once saying its 480lbs wet. Price is $14,500 with a $1,000 summer factory discount bringing it to the same price as a VFR 800 ($13,500) . Just FYI

• Member Contributer

FJ-09 is $10, 490...with more ponies...The Tuono is 406lbs DRY...ad at least 30lb for gas oil, coolant and blinker fluid...and now you're in the same weight territory as the FJ-09...still 50lbs less than the 8th Gen!!!

Tuono has the edge in HP over both bikes...and "cool" factor too...

An aprilia dealer just opened near me. New 2015 Tuono (999 cc v4) weighs 407 lbs dry. Has abs and massive brakes and fully adjustable sachs suspension and steering damper. I think I saw a review once saying its 480lbs wet. Price is $14,500 with a $1,000 summer factory discount bringing it to the same price as a VFR 800 ($13,500) . Just FYI

Call it $15k with tax, license, and registration. I paid $12k out the door for my 2014 deluxe. $3k buys me the suspension I want and then some. Won't ever be as fast in a straight line, but straight roads aren't why I ride.

Have fun with that Aprilla though. Mrs. 01ragtop wouldn't last long on the back of that thing.

• Member Contributer

The VFR800 is selling well in the UK, the local dealers sell them as fast as they arrive, in fact mine is going straight from the crate into the workshop and then to me as fast as they can get the PDI done

There was only 1 in the showroom and that was sold, only 1 used for sale

There were 2 CBR600RR bike's discounted to sell but no takers

My main reasons for choosing the VFR over anything else (and cost is not a problem) are it has ABS, decent forks and the alternator puts out enough juice to power my heated jacket PLUS the exhaust doesn't look like NASA built it

I have a CBR600 to play with but I need a trustworthy bike I can cover a lot of miles on in all weathers

After 2 painful years of BMW ownership, the value for money of the VFR is a breath of fresh air

If you want a light, fast bike get a CBR600, they're built for it and have more useable power than 90% of the owners can and know how to use, don't knock the VFR for being a different bike to the 6th generation, it's called evolution and sometimes it turns out different

The VFR800 is selling well in the UK, the local dealers sell them as fast as they arrive, in fact mine is going straight from the crate into the workshop and then to me as fast as they can get the PDI done

My main reasons for choosing the VFR over anything else (and cost is not a problem) are it has ABS, decent forks and the alternator puts out enough juice to power my heated jacket PLUS the exhaust doesn't look like NASA built it

I have a CBR600 to play with but I need a trustworthy bike I can cover a lot of miles on in all weathers

After 2 painful years of BMW ownership, the value for money of the VFR is a breath of fresh air

If you want a light, fast bike get a CBR600, they're built for it and have more useable power than 90% of the owners can and know how to use, don't knock the VFR for being a different bike to the 6th generation, it's called evolution and sometimes it turns out different

In my estimation, this is dead on. The 8th gen is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It improved upon the previous platform, but didn't revolutionize the SPORT touring segment.

As for the lighter examples mentioned above, it only proves that a bike can be lighter and faster. Are they better? I don't know, I haven't ridden either of them.

I know my ZX7R is an example of a heavy bike. (500+lbs in the replica racer category) But having a lighter machine was no guarantee I'd be looking at your tail lights. Even in its racing platform the ZX7R was heavy and under-powered, but held its own.

Until I can do this, I think the VFR is fine.

• Member Contributer

I'll grant you that the aprilia's pillion seat doesn't compare at all to the VFRs --- nor its looks (at least its face) or the comfy ride of the vfr in general--its very much a nice place to be :biggrin:.

I only mentioned the Tuono as an example of a lightweight v4. Don't misunderstand, I am a definite fan of the VFR I only wish it was like 50lbs lighter because that's what I'm used to and half of my riding is in tight maneuvering which is easier on a light bike. The VFR also doesn't run as hot as the aprilia which is always something to consider in warmer climates.

I really enjoyed the albeit brief test rides I have taken on the 8th gen. I was actually waiting for a white 2015 DLX to come in to buy but it took a long time and while waiting I found and fell in love with this "flimsy" funny sounding triple 675 something and bought that instead :wink:

Still want a vfr though !!

• Member Contributer

It's good to hear they're selling well there - probably what keeps it alive for the rest of the world!

To get an idea of what model VFR is the most common over here, here is an album with pics taken of VFRs passing by a petrol station after the Assen TT. I have no idea how long the photografpher has been sitting at that petrol station so no idea if this data can reliably used in a statistical analysis :biggrin:

Love the way just about all of them going two up are more or less cleaning their buttholes with the rear tyre, the shocks on VFR's are....well....shocking

It's good to hear they're selling well there - probably what keeps it alive for the rest of the world!

+1. :warranty:

I need more space and more money to fill that space with more bikes to ride. V4 Tuono, Duc Monster. New VFR. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Keep in mind I love my 6th gen but I wouldn't go out and buy an 8th gen because the VTEC engine isn't all that impressive to me and it's heavy. I had to invest a lot of money to make it more comfortable for longer rides and if it tips over it is almost impossible for me to lift it by myself.

Still love my 6th gen though and in no hurry to replace as it does everything I want and need. But if I were looking to replace it I would seriously consider a Ninja 1000 because the ergonomics are perfect for me right out of the crate, it's lighter, more powerful, and I can put a Givi rack on it and use all my hard cases. It even has an adjustable windscreen and I could pick up a new 2013 ABS model for just under 8k. No it's not a V4 but when you are 5'7" and weight 145 lbs the VFR requires very careful handling at slow speeds.

Yes, the ABS Ninja is about 23 lbs lighter than the 800 DLX. Maybe. Kawasaki says their curb weight is with all "necessary" stuff and at least 90% of gas capacity while Honda says their curb weight is all "standard" equipment and a full tank. I'm actually gonna go with 20 lbs for now based on the gas differences alone.

The Honda also offers a 1.3" lower seat height for you short folks. ;)

The Ninja is also less expensive, you don't necessarily have to buy one in that hideous green, and the TC on the later models probably works a lot better than Honda's.

OTOH you get .6 gallons less fuel capacity, less gas mileage, and might end up having to add a center stand, which will erase about 5 lbs from the weight advantage. The pillion seat isn't quite as nice as Honda's and the Kawasaki's OEM panniers require some additional hardware.

• Member Contributer

Having ridden my SV650 (425 wet) on he track and on the street....comparatively the VFR is a pig at 100lbs heavier (6th gen at 520 wet)...100lbs is a LOT. Lighter is not a 320lb dirtbike, but a 425lb bike carries it weight better than a 520lb bike or 570lbs with all my shit attached...

SV650 is a naked twin with half the gas tank size. Just sayin'.

The '09 is 437 wet according to Wikipedia. Pre- '03 listed as 417 lbs and the newer Gladius is now 446 with ABS.

Remember when comparing wet weights to compare gas tank sizes. That's 12 lbs between the VFR-800 and the SV right there.

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

my 2 cents :cheerleader:

i had a 2nd gen sv1000s for a couple yrs and honestly do not feel the difference pushing my little vfr around the garage compared to the sv, she was lighter but as stated above had a 17 odd ltr tank and riding hard i only got 190 kms before the reserve. ( db killers out)

My last bike befoe the vfr ( ktm rc8r ) now that was another story, but something we can not actually compare my little vfr too because they are for different worlds . ( wish i still had it just for the fun ) i'm too poor . lol :wink: . prehaps later on .

As for sales here in france, the french love the vfr's all gens combined and the 8th gen is selling well from what ive seen and heard.

everyone loves it !!

its just such a do it all bike. just had the 12000kms service, only cost me 142€ .

As for the shocks, set up right by a pro, something i am not, i feel they are quite bloody good, and i ride some awful country roads every day.

high powered bike sales are down in france this year because from the 1st of jan 2016 they are finally getting rid of the 100bph governing law for all bikes that make more than 100bph, vfr not concerned ( the european union finally told france to kill it ) . not that many people respect it anyways.

keep safe all, have a groovy wknd .

:woohoo:

Archived