New Vfr800's Not Selling Very Well

cavman69

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

Hahaha, Well that makes a big difference Big Jim! I knew that and thought that an 8th gen SUBframe might be a great mod for a 6th gen which has a 20 lb pig of a rear subframe. 

BR 

I would never try to one up you BR.  Nobody knows more about VFR's than you.  VFR's cringe when you walk by them because they know you can make them go past warp speed and never get their valves adjusted since you've proven it's unnecessary.  I do believe that.  ; )  

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Bent said:

I would never try to one up you BR.  Nobody knows more about VFR's than you.  VFR's cringe when you walk by them because they know you can make them go past warp speed and never get their valves adjusted since you've proven it's unnecessary.  I do believe that.  ; )  

I don't know shitz, but did know about the frame/subframes!  (-:

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Baileyrock said:

I don't know shitz, but did know about the frame/subframes!  (-:

There's no telling how much that knowledge will propel you to fame and fortune some day.  Heck, you're already there.   ; )  

52 minutes ago, Bent said:

There's no telling how much that knowledge will propel you to fame and fortune some day.  Heck, you're already there.   ; )  

What was the question????

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Baileyrock said:

What was the question????

You were asking about the best oil to use in a VFR.......;  )

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez, BR and Bent.  Next you guys will start comparing hand sizes.  :tongue:

I love my 6th gen.  In fact, I love it enough that I might just buy an 8th gen. when I'm ready to part with my 6th gen.  But I think that day is still a couple years away, due mostly to household finances.  Plus I'd also love to see 100k miles on my odometer before I'm done.  (82k now and counting!)

From what I can tell looking at the bike and reading rider and magazine reviews, the 8th gen. (especially the Deluxe in the US) is definitely a step up from the 6th.  Better engine performance and fueling, better suspension, lighter weight, better lights, integrated luggage mounts (I think), upgraded electrical system, traction control and better ABS, stock heated grips, and a lower center of gravity.  MSRP may be overpriced, but for what 8th gens. are selling for now at most US dealers, it's a deal.

IMHO, the reason they're not selling well is because it's too well-rounded a machine - which is why VFRs have never sold well here in the US.  Most people want either a true sportbike to rocket around on in town (and because that's what their friends have) or a cruiser to ride at a relaxed pace (and because that's what their friends have).  Most people aren't looking for all-day comfort to get you to the mountain roads and then great performance once you're there.  That, and new model VFRs have been overpriced.  Maybe now that the prices have come down we'll see more people buying 8th gens., but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm also not holding my breath for a lighter weight 1000cc VFR from Honda.  The fact that the last couple models have sold so poorly here has to be a huge influence on Big Red's future plans for the model.  :sad:  But I'm also an optimist, so I'm hopeful future generations will be even better!

• Member Contributer

They've never sold well Tim.  As far as price, anybody that pays anywhere near list has too much money or is plain stupid.  There is a dealer near me that people fly in from all over the country to buy from because of.......price.    :wink:

• Member Contributer

Some places get it and some places don't.

Here's an excellent example of one that doesn't: If you look on cycletrader right now, there's a dealership in Oregon that's got a new 2010 VFR1200 on "clearance" for $17,499. Don't believe me? Look it up.

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

Some places get it and some places don't.

Here's an excellent example of one that doesn't: If you look on cycletrader right now, there's a dealership in Oregon that's got a new 2010 VFR1200 on "clearance" for $17,499. Don't believe me? Look it up.

It's going to be on "clearance" for a long time.  

On 5/18/2016 at 3:23 PM, TimC said:

From what I can tell looking at the bike and reading rider and magazine reviews, the 8th gen. (especially the Deluxe in the US) is definitely a step up from the 6th.  Better engine performance and fueling, better suspension, lighter weight, better lights, integrated luggage mounts (I think), upgraded electrical system, traction control and better ABS, stock heated grips, and a lower center of gravity.  MSRP may be overpriced, but for what 8th gens. are selling for now at most US dealers, it's a deal.

I just traded my 6th gen in on an 8th gen and I just want to say everything you have written here (so far) seems to be 100% spot on. 

I paid just north of $8500 out the door for my new 8th gen (DLX) and for the cost I am 110% satisfied. The bike just works...better. It feels very familiar but just a little bit better at everything. The heated grip integration is great, the turn signals have been fantastic for me, the new wheels are gorgeous, the headlights are amazing, I could go on and on. I loved both of my 6th gen bikes, but the 8th feels even better. 

Would I love to see a 1000cc VFR that has a wet weight of around 435? You bet, but I am fine waiting for it with my 800cc fat ass =)

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, thebigtea said:

I just traded my 6th gen in on an 8th gen and I just want to say everything you have written here (so far) seems to be 100% spot on. 

I paid just north of $8500 out the door for my new 8th gen (DLX) and for the cost I am 110% satisfied. The bike just works...better. It feels very familiar but just a little bit better at everything. The heated grip integration is great, the turn signals have been fantastic for me, the new wheels are gorgeous, the headlights are amazing, I could go on and on. I loved both of my 6th gen bikes, but the 8th feels even better. 

Would I love to see a 1000cc VFR that has a wet weight of around 435? You bet, but I am fine waiting for it with my 800cc fat ass =)

Was that price for a new bike from a dealers?

2 minutes ago, Nelix said:

Was that price for a new bike from a dealers?

Yes sir. I asked about 35 times to make sure there where no hidden, crazy fees. It was 7989 + set up and tax. That was it. 

Needless to say I am very pleased.

• Member Contributer

FFS! Christ on a bike, etc.

Mine was $15,200 over here. You guys have no idea how lucky you are, we pay more for everything, fuel, food etc.

All we have going for us is the NHS, free healthcare.

Oh, and that we would never be dumb enough to let Donald Trump anywhere near a position of power.

15 hours ago, Nelix said:

Mine was $15,200 over here. You guys have no idea how lucky you are, we pay more for everything, fuel, food etc.

Oh, and that we would never be dumb enough to let Donald Trump anywhere near a position of power.

Can you confirm that the new Yamaha MT10 is actually cheaper than a new VFR800 in the UK?

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Nelix said:

Maybe that's why you have fewer fat people over there and if we vote in Hillary, we will be paying more for everything.  Trump threatens people that don't believe in working.  He also likes VFR's.  

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, dogman said:

Can you confirm that the new Yamaha MT10 is actually cheaper than a new VFR800 in the UK?

Tempted by the MT10? I am :)

Hope its brought to USA .

12 hours ago, fink said:

Yup £9,999  compared to Vfr £10,600  mfr rep prices.

But you could have checked that yourself.

I did, but it didnt seem right. They are talking prices of around 20K in Oz althought the actual price is not released yet whereas the 8th gen is less than 15K

On 5/20/2016 at 11:18 AM, Nelix said:

It's a shame you have to pay so much for the bike  BUT I work for the U.S. federal government and my share of cost for health insurance is nearly $1000 month to cover my wife and me!   That's for Kaiser HMO health insurance.    The thing is here in the states one trip to hospital for a few days is easily a six figure bill, in fact medical bills are a leading cause of bankruptcy for folks that work for a living here, always has been.   My wife is from Scotland and absolutely feels the same as you, Americans are absolutely nuts for allowing a complete narcissist to get anywhere near anything more meaningful than a reality television show. 

Enjoy your VFR and be happy you live in Scotland, it's not perfect but lord knows we got our problems here in the states as well.

the cost of the medical bills in the US is really crazy. I never understood why a short visit (10 min) to a doctor at the hospital would cost 500 bucks.

Do you know where all that money goes ?

Ten percent plus of a doctor's income goes to liability.

Secondly, supply and demand is a killer. A hundred years ago the thought process was to avoid the doctor at all costs. Today people visit the doctor for everything. People are consuming millions more times in healthcare than they used to. What would you do as a business person if every hour, of every day, of every week, of every year, people poured in through your door? You must raise your rate to control it. That is the biggest killer, despite the conspiracies on evil profit takers. The demand for elective healthcare is infinite today. 

Agree, but also factor in insurance. Most of the time, the only meaningful money a family doctor's office sees, IS the copay. They are contractually obligated by the plans they accept, to charge ~$150, so the $35 copay makes insurance look useful. Now that it's required, it will go the way of auto insurance. Mutual inflation. 

Imnho, requiring the purchase of anything should be a crime itself. Yes, it is idiotic not to carry some insurance, but leave that to the idiots. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, sdouble said:

the cost of the medical bills in the US is really crazy. I never understood why a short visit (10 min) to a doctor at the hospital would cost 500 bucks.

Do you know where all that money goes ?

The money goes to monopolistic insurance companies, the inefficiencies caused by Obamadon'tcare, malpractice insurance, mountains of paperwork (in a paperless society) required by Hippa and the govt., and hospitals that must treat people that use the emergency room as their primary care physician, without insurance, at your cost.  The medical system, like the federal govt., is one of the most inefficient systems in the country.  My daughter is a nurse practitioner with a required directing physician.  She is setting up her cash only for treatment clinic and expects to make exponentially more money.  Pay her now or go elsewhere.  Pretty disgusting system that has forced a medical care provider to accept cash only.  Now, back to motorcycles.  Ride them safely so you don't need medical care.  ; )     

Archived