Full Boat Touring 5Th Gen

JimGregory

• Member Contributer

8101875c8ef85e62bc3ee42ff57812a4.jpg

Let me know when your ready and I will go with you. :goofy:

Roll On ..

That looks incredibly dangerous. The exhaust could heat up the rear tire and it might catch fire...

It's not mine I found it on the net. But yeah your right it needs a fire extinguisher !

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to find a deal on a set of E21 side cases for commuting. I noticed they are now discontinued and replaced with the E22, which i guess look a bit better. :wacko: I hate having a topcase on there unless I am traveling or my wife is out back.

Full%20size%20right-XL.jpg

Here you go. As good a price as ever was

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-Monokey-E21-Cruiser-Side-Case-/321783892229?hash=item4aebd08905&vxp=mtr

I like the E21's a lot. As good or better looking as the 22's I think.

So you have same rack as me. What does your wife hold on to? The sidecase handles?

Roll On ..

Holy crap. Nice job though.

• Member Contributer

I'd like to find a deal on a set of E21 side cases for commuting. I noticed they are now discontinued and replaced with the E22, which i guess look a bit better. :wacko: I hate having a topcase on there unless I am traveling or my wife is out back.

Full%20size%20right-XL.jpg

Here you go. As good a price as ever was

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-Monokey-E21-Cruiser-Side-Case-/321783892229?hash=item4aebd08905&vxp=mtr

I like the E21's a lot. As good or better looking as the 22's I think.

So you have same rack as me. What does your wife hold on to? The sidecase handles?

Roll On ..

Holy crap. Nice job though.

Just imagine what the rubberneckers thought .

• 2 weeks later...

Well we took the bike up to Vermont over the weekend. 4 hours in the saddle one way. Then to Albany area to visit mom then home 2.5 hours to CT. The girl got saddle sore. She doesnt like the seating position or bla bla bla. Cant change that.

I had even gotten some real nice ($) sheepskin pads for the seat.

She is not interested in touring on this bike again. That SUCKS! All the work I put into building up a nice sport touring rig, right down the drain.

Crap.

We had spent 4 days on a harley ultra classic last year and she was fine on that. So was I actually. Very comfy TANK of a bike. I dont want a tank. I like my VFR.

Crap.

May be a very low milage 98 for sale soon.

• Member Contributer

Well we took the bike up to Vermont over the weekend. 4 hours in the saddle one way. Then to Albany area to visit mom then home 2.5 hours to CT. The girl got saddle sore. She doesnt like the seating position or bla bla bla. Cant change that.

She is not interested in touring on this bike again. That SUCKS! All the work I put into building up a nice sport touring rig, right down the drain.

Crap.

We had spent 4 days on a harley ultra classic last year and she was fine on that. So was I actually. Very comfy TANK of a bike. I dont want a tank. I like my VFR.

Crap.

Oh no, you did make her wear ear plugs. :goofy:

Hi guys!

Here's my VFR with Kappa side cases and a slightly modified mount for them:

honda-vfr800-back.jpg

honda-vfr800-side.jpg

Those side cases are Kappa K33N, very similar to Givi V35 cases, but slightly cheaper.

• Member Contributer

Crap.

Crap.

Oh no, you did make her wear ear plugs. :goofy:

Looks like your selling , I guess a new girlfriend is out of the question.

My wife put a stop to riding on the back of the VFR.

She is small at 5'2" about 110 pounds, but she said it is way to cramped for a day trip.

So my Y2K VFR has been parked in the lonely corner with no one but Ms. Pacman to talk to.

We bought a BMW K1200LT for touring and now she is much happier.

VFRlonely.jpg05bmw1.jpg05bmw2.jpg

My wife put a stop to riding on the back of the VFR.

She is small at 5'2" about 110 pounds, but she said it is way to cramped for a day trip.

So my Y2K VFR has been parked in the lonely corner with no one but Ms. Pacman to talk to.

We bought a BMW K1200LT for touring and now she is much happier.

VFRlonely.jpg05bmw1.jpg05bmw2.jpg

Yes I was thinking of a Connie or FJR or SOME type of BMW but I really don't relish the though of one of those big tanks in the garage. Though the connie 1400 engine sounds like fun.

Cant spring for a newer BMW. What model year is that?

Diced it up with a big BMW something on the ride home. The old VFR did fine.

Yep she's in the classifieds now. The bike not the girl. Great LOW mile bike.

I had the Concours 14A. Save your money. The VFR is better!

I bought the 2005 BMW1200LT on eBay for 5800.00 from Max BMW in Conn.

We made a road trip out of getting it.

We flew up and the salesman picked us up at the airport. We paid for the bike and set off on a two day journey home.

I used Skymiles and hotel points for everything... I had food gift cards to eat on. The trip was under 200.00 out of pocket.

If you buy a K1200LT 1999-2004 are the first series and I had a 2002.

It was lacking comfort items.

2005-2009 are the years to buy. I found many out there with under 40K miles around 7000.00.

The one I bought had 39K and every option I wanted execpt passenger armrests and XM radio. Those have been ordered.

Look for a BMW with all of the farkles. Those are usually the better maintained ones.

c14_gap.jpg

Wife hasn't complained on the VFR yet and hope she doesn't because I can't find anything else with this bang for the buck. A Bimmer might get the nod next but years from now I suspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Hi guys!

honda-vfr800-back.jpg

Those side cases are Kappa K33N, very similar to Givi V35 cases, but slightly cheaper.

So what did you do to modify the mounts or cases? What are the Kappa rack part numbers?

Hi guys!

honda-vfr800-back.jpg

So what did you do to modify the mounts or cases? What are the Kappa rack part numbers?

+1, I like the V35 cases, but thought they didn't work on the 5th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kappa/Givi don't have a rack mount for our 5th gen, but you can work around it by buying a rack mount for those cases but for some other bike and then just modify it. That's what I've done. Here in Belgrade we have this amazing guy who makes crash guards, case mounts etc and he modified that rack to fit my bike perfectly.

I'm attaching more images for you to see how it looks like.

post-33517-0-50923200-1436944554.jpg

post-33517-0-67665200-1436944562.jpg

post-33517-0-14115400-1436944569.jpg

post-33517-0-95317900-1436944573.jpg

post-33517-0-21818300-1436944581.jpg

post-33517-0-59212400-1436944588.jpg

post-33517-0-67649800-1436944593.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Pablo,

I am doing something very similar to that. I had a pair of WingRacks and E360's but wasn't a real fan of the look. Really like the look of the V-35's though. Solution, buy the Kappa/Givi rack for the 6 Gen the cut, modify, fab up and weld brackets to fit. Not quite done but happy with the look and function so far.

3 bags 1

3 bags 2

• Member Contributer

SW Motech brackets with Shad 42L bags. I have also fit a flat bar between and above bags with a screwed fitting to allow for a back rest when needed.

Power commander, Corbin seat, Heated grips, Heli bars with Pirelli Angel GT tires which are awesome.

I really can not see me ever selling this bike as it is the perfect compromise for me. Fifth Gen = The best year period

post-2268-0-90882000-1436986601.jpg

post-2268-0-84889800-1436986614.jpg

Kappa/Givi don't have a rack mount for our 5th gen, but you can work around it by buying a rack mount for those cases but for some other bike and then just modify it. That's what I've done. Here in Belgrade we have this amazing guy who makes crash guards, case mounts etc and he modified that rack to fit my bike perfectly.

I must say the red bike & white wheel combination looks really, really good.. for a red bike ;)

I must say the red bike & white wheel combination looks really, really good.. for a red bike ;)

Agreed the red bike white wheels looks great. But If I were to change I think I would like clear anodized/mill finish wheels. Don't know that I have seen that yet. To continue the aluminum frame look.

Buddy coated his wheels white on his yellow 2000 and it looks a lot better than I thought it would.

I am thinking a Ducati gold would be good on the red so I am going that route on my 99 eventually.

• Member Contributer

SW Motech brackets with Shad 42L bags. I have also fit a flat bar between and above bags with a screwed fitting to allow for a back rest when needed.

Power commander, Corbin seat, Heated grips, Heli bars with Pirelli Angel GT tires which are awesome.

I really can not see me ever selling this bike as it is the perfect compromise for me. Fifth Gen = The best year period

That's an ass end a Rapper would be proud to ride!!!

Hey yycviffer, we definitely think the same. :) If you have any questions about the rack or need more pictures, feel free to let me know.

White wheels do look great on a red bike, but they need more maintenance than black or gray ones. It's the price you have to pay if you want that look. :)

• Member Contributer

That's an ass end a Rapper would be proud to ride!!!

Haha, funny..My bike does not have a name but if I did name her maybe Kim after the Kardashian.

In my younger years I would never consider putting bags on my bike but now even the 42L capacity of each bag can be limiting when both myself

and my girl head downtown with a change of clothes and a helmet in each bag.

I am not a fan of the rear trunk but who knows...maybe in the future.

Archived