Full Boat Touring 5Th Gen

JimGregory

I have givi e 41 side bags and a e55 trunk you can feel the weight but you can carry whatever you want great for 2 up riding. And I'm going to get the Givi xs308 tanklock bag. My wife likes to be prepared

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a buyer coming to look at my VFR today.

Good god what am I doing.

But I NEED a bike my girl is comfortable on for long days. Her butt is more important then my wishes I guess. I guess.

My bike is so well sorted. Crap.

Looking at connie 14's and FJR's. Havent actually ridden one. Cant imagine I would dislike mongo horsepower but they look SO BIG.

Crap. Not going to love an extra 150 pounds or so either.

• Member Contributer

But I NEED a bike my girl is comfortable on for long days. Her butt is more important then my wishes I guess. I guess.

Looking at connie 14's and FJR's. Havent actually ridden one. Cant imagine I would dislike mongo horsepower but they look SO BIG.

OMG, good luck on your divorce 8)

• Member Contributer

Ok, to tell you if you are nuts or not, we need a picture of your GF's butt............

:goofy:

The buyer knows an idiot when he see's one and paid my price. Oh god I sold my VFR. Oh well.

Her butt deserves to be happy. She is a good girl. Actually tried to talk me out of it but it's about us not just me.

So long VFRD!

IMAG0581_zpsxmutb6zg.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a shame, but no need to disappear....stay around for the banter and you never know, one day...... :wheel:

Must admit, my wife is more than happy all day on my 6th gen, luggage'd up and with the mod'd seat.

7th gen will get a new seat this winter and I've just fitted lower rear pegs for her.

I can't stress this enough... If she doesn't like the VFR- She is not going to like the Concours 14 even if you drop the 600.00 for a Sargent's seat.

The Concourse has more power but the VFR has more cornering angle.

Stay away from the Concours. You have already got VFR standards and Kawasaki can't live up to those standards.

A Concours 14 is very hard to sell once you've decided that you truly hate it.

Look at the FJR and ST1300.

If money allows check out the BMW R1200RT.

I can't stress this enough... If she doesn't like the VFR- She is not going to like the Concours 14 even if you drop the 600.00 for a Sargent's seat.

The Concourse has more power but the VFR has more cornering angle.

Stay away from the Concours. You have already got VFR standards and Kawasaki can't live up to those standards.

A Concours 14 is very hard to sell once you've decided that you truly hate it.

Look at the FJR and ST1300.

If money allows check out the BMW R1200RT.

OK check no connie. Boy I do like that motor. Figure there is SOMETHING I should like about the new mount.

Just sat on a wing. Holy crap it's a greyhound bus!

Sadly the girl was with me. That was a mistake and I knew it going in. Whatadumass.

I am not buying a wing. MAYBE an ST.

Funny the RS pictured above will be my nimble bike. HA.

• Member Contributer

There can only be one.

med_gallery_2144_2760_206613.jpg

I looked at the ST type bikes but in the end got a used 1800 after I actually rode it. Actually it is quite handy in the corners and excellent at low speed ................really!

• Member Contributer

There can only be one.

med_gallery_2144_2760_206613.jpg

I looked at the ST type bikes but in the end got a used 1800 after I actually rode it. Actually it is quite handy in the corners and excellent at low speed ................really!

Touring toilet! OMG!

IF I was to get a heavier bike, which I am not, it would be the ST or FJR. Just say'in 8)

• Member Contributer

I usually get off to do that.

I thought this was about the "other" rider as well. Having ridden both the ST1300 and the Wing the 1800 stands out as it is close to a ST on the road and is much better for the passenger.

Have you ridden a Wing?

I usually get off to do that.

I thought this was about the "other" rider as well. Having ridden both the ST1300 and the Wing the 1800 stands out as it is close to a ST on the road and is much better for the passenger.

Have you ridden a Wing?

For me it is about the girl. I sat on the big wing gazing in wide wonder at all the gagetry and sat nav, reverse gear, mongo seats etc etc. Honestly the idea is growing on me.

I rented an ultra classic harley for a few days similarly outfitted and the wing looks much better. This wing thing could happen.

• Member Contributer

I had the hots for a ST type bike when my SO tired of the VFR. In the course of several years I have been on C14, ST1300, FJR and RT. A buddy "forced" me to ride the 1800 despite my resistance....I relented and IT works! I bought a used one that was less expensive than a new ST. Frankly I like both the VFR and the Wing, just different bikes ...pick the tool for the job.

And then I found I could hang with my ST buddies in the tight stuff.

med_gallery_2144_2760_1404185.jpg

About the only handling issues I had at the start were making sure I came to a complete stop before I put my foot out. Actually the 1800 is less top heavy than a ST at slow speeds or at rest. The Wing is not super at high speed in the sweepers but I do not have upgraded a suspension like my VFR either. Eventually, I even got over the whole PIG thing. I get the same grief from KTM guys about my fat KLR too. Than again I did not see too many "real" dual sports in Alaska.

Rent one?

• 2 years later...

Man, that Candy Tahitian Blue is just too sweet.  Clean looking bike.  I've got a red 99, but would luv a blue one.  One day I'll find one.  Let me know if you ever want to sell it, lol.  Looks great.  Ride safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/30/2017 at 1:20 AM, DanDubya said:

Full boat revival!!fc96f8150a7b5b7af4c4d3043fd311b8.jpg309088ec94410fb12510276db0d1fa16.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nice! Where in Ontario are you located?

I have a very similar setup as you DanDub:

YiTPsaHl.jpg

Sbj0MIol.jpg

Nice! Where in Ontario are you located?

I have a very similar setup as you DanDub:

YiTPsaHl.jpg

Sbj0MIol.jpg
In the pics that's in Muskokas Ontario. I live in Mississauga :)

Nice set up:) can you show me some pics of your exhaust set up? How did you fit it under the rack?

• Member Contributer

Mississauga? Wow. I'm surprised I haven't seen you around. I'm up in Etobicoke.

Yeah getting the highmount to clear the givi rack was a bit of a pain but you can easily get the pieces I used to clear it from a Rona.

N0GkPKym.jpg

dFBDjlRm.jpg

The clearance isn't huge but it's enough. I just finished a 8,000kms road trip through America with it.

We should meet up and you can better see the washers and collars I used to get the highmount pipe to clear.

I got my GPR oval can in behind the rack without using spacers and without interfering with the rear wheel.  Slowbird and I are both using the Givi tubular racks, looks like you have Wingracks so YMMV.

33150958950_13d0990d65_k.jpg

I've since got a Micron high mount and had to stand the right side rack off with some slightly longer bolts and some nuts for spacers.

36611790014_0f03ef2308_k.jpg

Mississauga? Wow. I'm surprised I haven't seen you around. I'm up in Etobicoke.

Yeah getting the highmount to clear the givi rack was a bit of a pain but you can easily get the pieces I used to clear it from a Rona.

N0GkPKym.jpg

dFBDjlRm.jpg

The clearance isn't huge but it's enough. I just finished a 8,000kms road trip through America with it.

We should meet up and you can better see the washers and collars I used to get the highmount pipe to clear.
8000km? That's awesome!

Wow sweet your so close.

Your bike is almost a twin of mine just in red lol.

What kind of pipe is that?

Sending you a PM with my number. Let's meet up!

Unfortunately, you guys are on the wrong side of Toronto from me, I don't get down to Mississauga or Etobicoke very often.  Or very far west of Hwy 12.  My riding time has been seriously curtailed the last few months - a 2 year old at home, and taking courses to work towards becoming an Ontario Land Surveyor. 

If you ever get up into the Kawarthas let me know.  Im just 20mins from Hwy 507...

Or maybe Dubya wants a titanium high mount for his rig??????

Unfortunately, you guys are on the wrong side of Toronto from me, I don't get down to Mississauga or Etobicoke very often.  Or very far west of Hwy 12.  My riding time has been seriously curtailed the last few months - a 2 year old at home, and taking courses to work towards becoming an Ontario Land Surveyor. 

If you ever get up into the Kawarthas let me know.  Im just 20mins from Hwy 507...

Or maybe Dubya wants a titanium high mount for his rig??????

Hey hawk!

For some reason I missed your post before my last reply.

Cool to see more local viffers :) nice bike!

How much would you want for the gpr? How loud is it also? I've heard a high mount staintune in person which sounded sweet but way too loud. The gpr must be very light in titanium I imagine?

15 minutes ago, DanDubya said:

Hey hawk!

For some reason I missed your post before my last reply.

Cool to see more local viffers :) nice bike!

How much would you want for the gpr? How loud is it also? I've heard a high mount staintune in person which sounded sweet but way too loud. The gpr must be very light in titanium I imagine?

Sent you a PM about the muffler.

Sound-wise, it comes with two db killers - one lives in the outlet, and the other lives down where the link pipe meets the muffler.  I ran it with both of them in and I didn't think it was overly loud.  Its a bit quieter than the junk Danmoto that was on it when I bought the bike, and a lot quieter than the Micron.  The muffler is fairly light, but its really just titanium skinned, the core is stainless, as is the link pipe.  Way lighter than stock though.  I'n my opinion its the pipe to go to if you want a high mount now that Micron and Staintune have been discontinued.  I've seen Delkevic's and they just aren't as nice as this one is.

Archived