Full Boat Touring 5Th Gen

JimGregory

And when riding single I don't even know that stuff is there. What a great bike!

With the tank bag on she has about 135 liters of storage. Half hour (ish) later it's all off including racks.

VFR_zps4aqgm1rd.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

There was I time when I had a 750 Nighthawk with more storage capacity than the Goldwings of the era! I actually did have a GL1200 for a couple years, but I never left the state with it. I took the Nighthawk from So Fla to Northern Maine, and my similarly set up 5th Gen to CO.

Always laugh when I see full tourers, H-D BMW Goldwing, on trailers!

I got some of the SW Motech pannier carriers that mount to nearly invisible fastners and 1/4-turn hardware. They're awesome--it literally takes about 60 seconds to mount bags or take it all off. When off, you wouldn't even know the bike is set up for them. I was just on Twisted Throttle recently, tough (where I got it all, for a pretty penny) and they don't list it anymore. Highly recommended though if they're still around.

• Member Contributer

Another SW Motech fan here. I would post a picture but somehow I am unable to do that at the moment.

Always laugh when I see full tourers, H-D BMW Goldwing, on trailers!

I wasn't laughing a couple days back when returning from a tour when the temp gage hit 113 degrees. Just at the moment for some reason, I was thinking it would be nice to have my Wing sitting in back on the trailer while sipping a cool beverage.

• Member Contributer

Looks great what is the maximum weight you can put in that rear rack? It's only 20lbs on my 6 gem rear rack so I try and keep it below that if possible so as not to break the rear sub frame. Just saying.

C

I got some of the SW Motech pannier carriers that mount to nearly invisible fastners and 1/4-turn hardware. They're awesome--it literally takes about 60 seconds to mount bags or take it all off. When off, you wouldn't even know the bike is set up for them. I was just on Twisted Throttle recently, tough (where I got it all, for a pretty penny) and they don't list it anymore. Highly recommended though if they're still around.

I was looking to go that route but couldnt find the hardware. Wound up with wingrack from ebay for a song and some "new old stock" side cases and used top case. I also have the 21 liter sidecases but they don't fit a lot plainly.

Wingrack is butt ugly with no cases mounted!

• Member Contributer

Finally got the BBCode button figured out.

My SW Motech rig....with light loaded rear rack.

med_gallery_2144_7292_2707665.jpg

Now what to do with my new high tech cot I just bought. Junk expands to the room available but there ain't no more space!

@Jim, I've only got the e21 cases on mine. They are quite small, but in addition to my "boner bag" (a tail bag that grows and grows when unzipped!) I can easily take what I need for a long weekend in the NC mountains. I'd like a plain rack out back for strapping a tent and a sleeping bag. I don't think I want to do a top box. Anyone have leads on something that looks reasonably slick? I'd also like to look for some larger side cases, perhaps the e360's or maybe the e41's. I like that top opening feature--that's one great thing about the e21's. I go in them all day long, almost every time I stop. I really like the top opening feature.

post-21593-0-27036500-1435353358.jpg

I also have the E21's. They wont win a design prize, but they are cheap, you can still filter through traffic and they are top loaders :) I had the regular wider givi cases (e36?) but i sold them, since i even use the E21s when im away for 2 weeks, in addition to topbox and seatbag. Of course, i dont bring clothes for 2 weeks, i use washing tablets and wash my clothes in the sink at the hotel. Much less space needed that way ;) And if clothes arent dry when i have to checkout, i strap them under the spider net that holds my seat bag = dries pretty quickly then! ;)

I like the E21's for sure. Thing is when I travel the girlfriend goes with me. The E21's and top case will get us through a weekend barely but I wanted E35's for 2 reasons. More space and my rack dictates removal of the passenger hand rails. She was missing them and the E35 has handles she can use for this. I like the older gen E35's a bit more then the newer E36's for some reason but they are out of print most everywhere. So I did find a set of E45's on ebay with a wingrack for a guzzi that I got for I think 200 bucks. Thats a great price I think plus everything was in unused condition.

Another bonus is I can fit my gigantic Shoei Neotec helmet WITH a bluetooth sticking out the side in them. Just.

Back many years ago I had a Guzzi police bike with top opening bags much like the E21's but bigger. I loved those cases!

One of the things I do like about the givi cases are I can disassemble the lock tumblers and set them up to all use the same key. Another is the wingrack turnsignals that stick ut past the bags. The VFR signals are not visable so much with the large bags. But yeas the E45's do make a wide ass!

6185EAF1-57AC-4319-9305-5C5E11B0A6E6_zps

Love me loaded VFRs! Givi side cases jammed to the hilt, suspension boosted by Jamie Daugherty with incredible results, VA to VT on back mountain roads.

post-25437-0-68285000-1435495498.jpg

Artpongs, it is a custom rack/prototype I made myself. I plan on updating it and making them for sale in the near future. Need to do a bit of research on cross compatability ideas for other bikes. Kind of have to narrow down an intended audience I think. That particular one has been in use since 2012 and has been all over the east coast with no problems whatsoever. Moto travel is the only way to go to my races/rides/events!

Been a bicycle racer all my life and manufactured bikes as well from 91-98, then 2008-2014. Check'em out -- www.ewrbikes.com

Got my suspension done last year for being loaded down. What an incredible upgrade. Jamie Daugherty was spot on with spring rate and ideas. Bikeis so plush and planted. Just a touch stiff when unladen in the rear, but I factored that in and it is well worth the tradeoff as it is rarely ridden w/o gear on the rear. Givi side cases are awesome.

• Member Contributer

I have a full boat/butt setup. Givi E360N side bags with matching trunk. I lucked out and found fhe matching truck on Craigslist for a good price.

• Member Contributer

anyone have a pic of the Sw-motech racks looking at the bike from behind?

Not quite what you wanted but.....

med_gallery_2144_7292_463150.jpg

I use the space between the bags/bike by fitting small nylon storage sacks as well as bicycle seat bags which allow more storage for small things like repair kits/tools etc. I did reduce my beam by about two inches by attaching my H&B hard bags direct to the S&W rack instead of using an adapter plate. Sorry all my direct shots from behind include the adapter plate which adds more ass.

I'd like to find a deal on a set of E21 side cases for commuting. I noticed they are now discontinued and replaced with the E22, which i guess look a bit better. :wacko: I hate having a topcase on there unless I am traveling or my wife is out back.

Full%20size%20right-XL.jpg

Love me loaded VFRs! Givi side cases jammed to the hilt, suspension boosted by Jamie Daugherty with incredible results, VA to VT on back mountain roads.

My wife says "That's crazy". I like it though..!

Archived