Rc30 Past And Present Owner's Discussion

Porl

Question

Righto, seeing as how this is the first and so far only entry in the RC30 section, I thought we could do something useful with it.

I know the list will likely be short, but how about adding to this thread info and stories about YOUR VFR750R experiences. Most of the other sections on VFRD have proud owners discussing their present and past VFR's with and without pictures, so let's get some RC30 posts happening.

This could turn out to be a useful resource or just a cool collection of pictures and stories, either way VFRD needs more RC30 stuff. There can never be too much RC30 stuff! (My wife might not agree...)

Edited spelling.

I first saw a picture of an RC30 in a magazine just after they were released back in 1988. I didn't even have a motorcycle license yet but this was obviously something special, and expensive. Then I saw one parked outside a popular motorcyclists cafe and knew I wanted one.

Two years later I bought my first VFR, a brand new 1990 VFR750FL (3rd gen), which in some ways I saw as a compromise between the much more expensive and much less practical RC30. Having no car there was some need to consider at least some day to day practicality.

Fast forward 23 years to 2013, quite a few bikes and another 2 VFR750F's later, I finally bought an RC30. As much as I would have preferred an Australian market bike, there hadn't been any advertised in ages so I gave up looking and bought a JDM model that someone else had already imported to Australia a couple of years before. Much to my disgust, three Australian bikes have been for sale since. Never mind.

OK, so my RC30:

Originally a JDM bike, restricted to 78HP and 180km/h from new. I bought it unseen from a guy half way across the country who'd owned it for two years and in turn bought it from a bike shop who imported a few RC30's and RC45's from Japan a while back. I got it with about 19,400km on the odometer, so it has an unknown history from 1987 to 2011. For the most part though it's in really nice condition and rides beautifully.

Here's what I do know:

VFR750RH built 1987

Frame number RC301000993

As one of the original 1000 JDM bikes it has a plaque on the frame numbered 880959

Mine has had a Euro spec CDI fitted, removing the speed limit and some of the power restriction, so with rejetting it now makes 92HP at the wheel even with the stock air filter and exhaust.

What the PO did to it:

Euro spec CDI

Rebuilt rear shock

Usual service items

What I've done with it:

Ridden it very rarely, looked at it a lot! My biggest worry is breaking or wearing out something hard to impossible to replace.

Cleaned it

Fitted a Factory Pro jet kit

Replaced the black JDM mirrors with the ROW white ones. The JDM mirrors have cracks that seem to develop in all of these, I've seen 2 new sets in original packaging with the same damage. I'm experimenting with a possible repair solution...

New chain and sprockets Not OEM but close replicas

Replaced all fluids

New OEM brake pads

Checked valve clearances found and adjusted 2 tight inlet valves - now worried about the possibility of needing to replace all the inlet valves. Early RC30's often suffered a problem with them, but usually much sooner than 20,000km. Need to check them again reasonably soon to really know.

Run it on a dyno, 92RWHP and just slightly rich in the midrange. When I get motivated enough to take the carbs off again, I'll adjust the needles and give it another run.

I'd really like to fine a European or Australian spec airbox and snorkel, or even just the snorkel, but apart from really hard to find they sell for insane amounts. And ultimately I'd still really like an Aussie spec bike but that would come with it's own problem... Divorce.

I know this thread is useless without pics, here's one.

There's heaps more in my gallery.

DSCF4560 (1280x960)

• Member Contributer

Hi mate, I had the same problem.

In 88 I had a VFR750F that I was in love with (bought in 87), clocked up 52,000k's in the first year and was looking at trading.

I was in love with the RC30 the first time I laid eyes on it, and stil am.

But price versus practicality saw me buy the CBR1000F instead (I only had the bike as my only form of transport).

On a recent trip up the Oxley, went to the Australian Motorcycle museum, they have a very low kilometer one there, and was the bike that attracted the most interest from motorcyclists.

I've resigned myself to the fact I will never own one, but we can all dream.

You are a very lucky man, enjoy it, don't just look at it.

You might cark it tomorrow and your kids will sell it on Fleabay.

• Member Contributer

Join the Yahoo RC30 Group. Members all over the world and can help you track down the parts you need.

Ciao,

Join the Yahoo RC30 Group. Members all over the world and can help you track down the parts you need.

Ciao,

Yeah mate, already a member on Yahoo, joined even before I got my RC30. Have had fantastic help from other members on there.

Cheers for the tip all the same.

• Member Contributer

I did not get into motorcycles until the early 90's, first bike was a Hawk GT, saw my first RC30 at the North Atlanta Trade Center motorcycle show in probably '96 or '97, it had 18 miles on it and the guy wanted $18k for it, if I had the money, I would have bought it. My buddy filled me in on the history of it, but I was in love even before I knew how special it was. When I went to buy the 3rd bike, it was a toss up between an '86 VFR and a new (in '99) '97 YZF600r (Red and White), went with the VFR since it had the RC30 colors. After a cross country motorcycle ride in 2000 on my VFR, I found myself making good money and wanting my next bike. I knew I loved Sport Touring and looking forward to the next big ride, so I was looking at an Aprilia Futura, but somehow the RC30 crept back into my mind, and I reasoned I could Sport Tour on the VFR and ride the RC30 for fun, and save a little bit of money to boot (how many people can say buying an RC30 saved them money?). I found an '89 German K model, and had it for less than $10k in 2001 as a 30th birthday present to myself. Still have the '86 VFR, still have the '89 RC30, had a '91 VFR come and go and rebuilt a '95 VFR. Every time I ride the RC30, I am reminded how special it is and how different it is from my other VFR's.

I have a good RC30 story.

When I was a kid I had a radio controlled RC30 which gave me the bug for one,, 20 something years later in 2014,, I find one on Craigslist in Huston, fully HRC kitted with all the stock bodywork and a new OEM tank. Came with 2 sets of race fairings, a really cool endurance tank and a big box of spares for $10k. It wasn't in the best of shape. Fork tubes were corroded as were many of the bolts, the rear Ohlins was roached and it need a lot of clean up. It was also missing headlights, OEM fairing brackets, the wiring harness and the stock gauges. It lived it's whole life as a race bike and was originally built for Collin Edwards to race AMA endurance races. It was his way to learn the tracks right before he turned pro and switched to a TZ250.

I call up the owner and some the info. I actually tried to get it for 9k but being that it just hit CL, he got another call offering 9600. He called me back and told me "sorry this other guy offered me more" My heart rate increased and I told him I'd pay the asking price,, I have dibs on that bike!

Well he agreed to sell it to me. The other guy was in tears.. I felt bad for him but in the long run, it was best that the bike went to me since I had the resources and people to restore the bike properly.

The seller agreed to hold it for me. He was surprised I was going to drive all the way out there for it. He assured me it wasn't in the best condition but I reassured him I could get new fork tubes and I definitely wanted it. I jumped in my car with my trailer the next day and left Los Angeles and headed out to Katy TX just outside Huston. Two days later I arrived and met the owner at a bike shop where the RC30 was located. I gave him $10 in cash and loaded up all the bodywork, rear stand, spares, tanks, 2 sets of 3 spoke Marchesinis and the stock wheels with the original tires. My car was packed. I got out of there and went straight home.

A year later, I'm still working on it but the engine is completely refreshed with new inconel oversized valves and a new crank bearing that was slightly out of spec. I had a new set of pistons and rings but the ones in the engine looked brand new. The barrels on the other hand needed a hone. We sent it off to the only guy around that is tooled up to do a perfect hone. Since the RC30 has one piston ring, it needs to be perfectly round. It took months for the guy to get around to it but in the end the bores were done to perfection and still in spec. We're expecting 133rwhp with what parts are in it. The water pump looked mint inside but needed the outside repainted. I'm just waiting on a street wiring harness so I can get it all together and plated. It'll still be easy to swap it back to race trim.

Hi Porl

I think I may have bought one of the Aussie RC30s you have seen advertised... I also have an RC36 and NC30 to complete the VFR collection. None of them minters, but the 30's are both in pretty good condition.

If you ever find yourself in Melbourne then feel free to look me up.

post-32308-0-76077100-1448713015.jpg

• Member Contributer

2013, and the Roadsmarts were better than expected.

Mind telling me what modern tyres you are running?

I thought the 'correct' tyres for the stock wheels (i.e. 170 18" rear and 3.0" front) were just about unobtainable these days.

Some more snaps of the 30's for BR... haven't had much opportunity to ride them in anger yet, so only driveway photos. I can tell you, though, that the little 400 is an amazing little piece of machinery in its own right.

post-32308-0-57794900-1448795124.jpg

post-32308-0-14188700-1448795128.jpg

post-32308-0-77849100-1448795130.jpg

post-32308-0-33989300-1448795132.jpg

post-32308-0-52367500-1448795135.jpg

post-32308-0-53397800-1448795186.jpg

• Member Contributer

2013, and the Roadsmarts were better than expected.

Mind telling me what modern tyres you are running?

I thought the 'correct' tyres for the stock wheels (i.e. 170 18" rear and 3.0" front) were just about unobtainable these days.

The tires are Roadsmarts. They have been updated/replaced by Dunlop with new models twice, neither of which have the correct sizes now :( The only correct rears I know of now are Shinko and Avon. My front is a 120 on a 3.5" rim.

Several items are not original, brake lines/front wheel/exhaust....... But it is a great rider, not a museum piece :)

Some more snaps of the 30's for BR... haven't had much opportunity to ride them in anger yet, so only driveway photos. I can tell you, though, that the little 400 is an amazing little piece of machinery in its own right.

Thanks for the nice pics!

i got to ride a VFR400 or was it an RVF400??? over Little Switzerland several years back. I liked it, but it seemed to be geared really Tall. I think you could hit 80 mph in 1st???

i was trying to find some pics of that trip, no luck yet.

BR

• Member Contributer

Yup! Thanks.

I have a suitable 3.5" front wheel and I am not such a stickler for originality that I won't use it.

Good to know that at least some tyres can still be had to fit that oddball rear wheel cause that one is a lot harder (and more expensive) to replace.

Some day, I'll actually ride the thing.

Hi BR - yes, the NC is geared quite tall in first, but not nearly as tall as the RC, which I found more of a nuisance for road riding than anything else. Maybe one more reason why I think I might actually prefer riding the 400! Not too many of the 400's in the States, I believe. The RVF400 was very similar to the VFR400, but smaller carbs, USD forks, and the foxeye headlights. I always thought the RC45 would have looked better with those fox-eyes rather than the two large round headlights.

Hi Duchy - to be honest, the only differences between the NC30 and RC30 are a few cubes, some very subtle (almost un-noticeable) styling details, a few exotic materials here and there, and (most significantly) the number of them that were built (tens of thousands v 4,000).

That means they're not just nice to look at: they have many if not all of the same characteristics that make the RC what it is: sharp steering, timeless looks, close ratio box, 360 degree big bang V4 engine, gear driven cams. They even gave the thing an18 inch rear wheel, albeit a little narrower. Apparently the whole reason for it being built was to sell to Japanese motorcyclists who were not able to get a licence to ride its bigger brother (very strict rules in Japan apparently for larger bike licences)... so they deliberately made it as similar to the RC as they could.

The thing that really surprised me was how much grunt it has for a 400: I expected it to be a little weak to be honest, but it really is surprising how much urge it gives you. As with the other V4's it also pulls from 2500rpm in top all the way through the rev range.

If you ever get the opportunity, I'd thoroughly recommend squeezing onto one for a ride... it won't take long for you to realise that it's not just nice to look at :)

I quite like this shot... makes you realise how similar they are...

post-32308-0-61896800-1448925912.jpg

• Member Contributer

Aww that must have hurt more than the injury....

But, making another person happy is something good too....

• Member Contributer

:)

Is it just me, or do you have what look like Ohlins front forks on the top picture?

Yes. The bike came with Ohlins, and stockers as well.

rc30a001se3.jpg

Archived