Dunlop Roadsmart II: $162

Conti RoadAttack2: $208

Metzeler Roadtec Z8: $180

Michelin Pilot Road 2: $160

Michelin Pilot Road 3: $175

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT: $192

Pirelli Angel GT: $178

Avon Storm 2 Ultra: $172

You're certainly not starved for choice!

I shop at Canada's Motorcycle rather than buying out of the US lately. With the Canadian dollar so weak, the local guys are in a good spot to be competitive on pricing. Very often, you now pay the same or less for products locally. Being in BC, Pete's shipping charges are expensive and CM's shipping is free. Since you're in Ontario, Pete's might be a good option for you.

To be honest, I can't see there being any problem using a GT-spec tire on your bike. The VFR isn't a featherweight and if you feel the rear is too hard or harsh, you can always try playing with tire pressures.

You left out the Shenko 009! :P That's what came on my "new" 97. I feel every road surface imperfection in the curves but otherwise they worked for the month it took me to decide on replacements. They've gone 5000mi and the rear is flatted just about down to the wear indicators. The front still has tons of tread but has feathering. Less than $200/set if you're feeling cheap with overall good reviews.

I've ordered Pirelli Angel GT's and will post when installed and ridden. Hope they're not too harsh.

• Member Contributer

You left out the Shenko 009! :P

I've used those and they're not half bad but I really consider them more of a 'touring' tire rather than 'sport touring'. Kind of like the Metzeler ME880 Marathon.

The thing is, I got my set of T30s for $200 with a rebate, making them a far better choice on a budget. IMO. :)

• Member Contributer

The problem with the Shinko's in general is that they are presented as a bargain option to current new tech tires (and they used to be) but now they are only about $30 a set less than the current tech Bridgestone T30 which is an amazing tire.

• Member Contributer

The Shinko Raven 009 definitely deserves a mention for the 4th gen. It's a decent tire.

I've had Bridgestone BT-021s (old tire - I know), Michelin PR, Conti Road Attacks, and finally bit the bullet by putting on Shinkos which I was very skeptical of. I have about 800 miles on the Raven 009s, and I really like them for all-around riding. Yes, they are of an older tire technology, but the profile of the tire is very predictable. I have been impressed so far. Looks like the set will hold up well, and the feedback is not too shabby. The only downside, at least to me, of the Shinko Raven 009: I do not like the front tread design- the center groove. Put there to displace water I'm sure, it just seems to me that it's odd and it looks funky.

I did not have good experience w/ the Bridgestone I recall. Lasted about 4k miles, and not because of the tire wear, but the front tire did some sort of cord separation, and I replaced the set.

Archived