4Th Gen Tires

slowbird

• Member Contributer

Usually I'm pretty good at selecting my own tires but lately I've ben hitting a lot of road blocks.

After a happy releationship with Bridgestone BT023's, the couple shops I have spoken to cannot get them in the stock 170 rear size any longer.

So I'm looking at their replacements (The T30) but they only come in a GT spec for the 170 rear.

Looked into the Michelin PR4's and it's the same problem. GT spec only for the 170 size rear. (even though I can't find a 170 rear on the Michelin site)

A friend I have that works at a shop is offering an amazing deal on a set of Dunlop Q3's, but no 170 size. Only the 180 rear and I don't think I should go that large on the stock 4th gen rear wheel.

Are the GT spec tires a bad idea for a 4th gen that is never burdened with a heavy rider, heavy luggage, or a passenger?

Man! I am about to get flamed over this one... :mellow:

Upgrade to the fifth/sixth gen wheel.

I personally feel the 180/55-17 feels much better under the bike.

With minor modification the wheel fits perfectly and the tire selection is almost unlimited.

Here is the video:

• Member Contributer

I am using the Michelin Pilot Road 2 rear in 170 along with the Pilot Power front. It's older tech but still way good. And bonus is that it is cheaper than the latest PR4 would be. Check pricing at CanadasMotorcycle.ca.

I personally feel the 180/55-17 feels much better under the bike.

With minor modification the wheel fits perfectly and the tire selection is almost unlimited.

I would do this if I could find a good, cheap one. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Dutchy. I know how to search online for tires.

Unfortunatley they aren't all available or able to ship to Canada. That list shows a tire that I said in my OP I can't get up here.

No affordable 3rd, 5th, or 6th gen wheels available. Ebay is too expensive and locals want too much. Conversion rate for US funds is awful atm. Looking at atleast an extra $300usd....most likely more.

auggius, thanks for the suggestion. Yeah the PR4's are almost twice the price as the Bridgestone T30's. Crazy!

I'll check that website you linked too. Thanks. :cool:

• Member Contributer

No idea what you can find, but like auggius said, if you can find the PR2's, get them... good tire.

• Member Contributer

Still a handful of good choices for the 170 if you stick with stock.

I've done the Rosso II's and the PP/PR2 combo. Can't go wrong with either.

• Member Contributer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR-800-Rear-Wheel-/281702602413?hash=item4196c896ad&vxp=mtr

Just throwing this out there. This forum has enough good guys on it who would be willing to help you out.

Have someone in NY buy this for you then run across the boarder and get it.

Yeah I've seen that wheel on Ebay.

Has small scratches and dents however it's still usable for those who want it as is or want to paint or powder coat it.

If it was just scratched I'd think about it but a wheel with dents (plurral)...no thanks.

No idea what you can find, but like auggius said, if you can find the PR2's, get them... good tire.

Cool. Thanks Burns.

I gotta find someone that knows more about the GT spec tires. I sent a message to Bridgestone and I'll see what they say.

Still a handful of good choices for the 170 if you stick with stock.

I've done the Rosso II's and the PP/PR2 combo. Can't go wrong with either.

Yeah there's lots of choices...just trying to see what are good since the usually suggestions are either not in 170 any longer or in GT spec only.

So another for the PR2's huh? Odd. Most recommend the 3's or 4's.

I have PR2's on my 1998 VFR and 1990 Hawk GT with VFR 5spoke rear wheel and F2 front. They are perfect. Could you not ride to a shop in the states and have them mounted at a shop? I use 180 on the VFR and 170 on the Hawk rear.

Art

• Member Contributer

I have Bridgestone s-20's on my 97, love them, on my third set. Dual compound front, triple rear.

When they first came out I put a set on my VF1000R and took it to Calf and back and they transformed the bike.

For some reason I cannot post a link, but if you go to CanadasMotorcycle.ca and enter S20 in the search box they will come up. They offer the S-20 Evo also but that does not come in a 170. The prices, adjusted for exchange rates are close to what I pay here in the US.

My bike with them.

post-19876-0-38919700-1435077072.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have PR4 gt's on my bike and so far they have been fantastic,I wouldn't think twice about getting them again.

How long have you had them?

You might as well try the T30 GT you might actually love them.

There is a lot of fodder on the FJR site bashing the T30 GT.

I had a set on the shelf and installed them on a buddies FJR. He absolutely loves them.

The extra miles you might get out of them could be a bonus for you.

• Member Contributer

You might as well try the T30 GT you might actually love them.

There is a lot of fodder on the FJR site bashing the T30 GT.

I had a set on the shelf and installed them on a buddies FJR. He absolutely loves them.

The extra miles you might get out of them could be a bonus for you.

It's definitley on my radar.

I loved the BT023's but they weren't GT spec. I'm just concerned the GT rear will be too hard or stiff.

• Member Contributer

Both PR2 and Rosso are available on that CanadianMotorcycle.ca site, but I hope you have somewhere cheaper to buy them. Those prices, it might be cheaper to buy in US and ship to Canada.

• Member Contributer

Yeah we have higher prices for alot of things up here in Canada. (except Health Care :wink: )

...and alot of US based companies won't ship tires up here.

I don't mind paying to get decent rubber. It's important. I'm just hoping to make an informed descision.

If I can get a set of BT023's I'd be happy. (as long as they weren't GT spec) I have good expierences with plain old BT023's in stock sizes.

I'd go with the T30's but they only make the 170's in GT spec.

Same deal with the PR4's. They have my size in GT or Trail.

**Actually! I just read on the Michelin site that they do NOT recommend GT tires for not GT bikes. So that's that solved. I wonder what the Trail spec tires are for? They are advertised as: "The Trail tire that’s designed entirely for road use." :unsure:

I'm definitely in the market for more of a Sport Touring tire

I have installed quite a few T30. I am pretty sure the rubber compound on the two, regular and GT is the same.

What I noticed is the side wall is extremely stiff during install over the regular.

The carcass flexed the same on both tires.

I was going to run a set on my 800Fi but all the sets I had sold quickly.

Pretty sure you are not going to be canyon carving so you will probably be OK with GT tires.

The VFR is not a lightweight sport bike.

I have PR4 gt's on my bike and so far they have been fantastic,I wouldn't think twice about getting them again.

I've had them for a few weeks now.I don't ride really aggressive but I can't see there being any problem,you might feel any bumps or imperfections of the road a bit more but that's nit-picking.

I also do my fair share of twisties,probably the same ones as you even.

• Member Contributer

I am doing the same thing right now...best set I have found for the 4th gen stock wheel size is a T30 GT and S20 Evo front on Jake Wilson for $202 USD delivered.

I know the 4th gen is not a heavy VFR but as Gr8VFR mentioned the VFR is not a light supersport bike either.

After reading the description from Bridgestone on the GT carcass I think we will go with these but I really want a set of Q3's in 170 rear.

• Member Contributer

I am doing the same thing right now...best set I have found for the 4th gen stock wheel size is a T30 GT and S20 Evo front on Jake Wilson for $202 USD delivered.

I know the 4th gen is not a heavy VFR but as Gr8VFR mentioned the VFR is not a light supersport bike either.

After reading the description from Bridgestone on the GT carcass I think we will go with these but I really want a set of Q3's in 170 rear.

yeah I heard about the S20 combo with the T30's. I dunnoh.....I think I might go straight T30's....even with a GT rear.

The Q3's in our size would be nice though.

I've had them for a few weeks now.I don't ride really aggressive but I can't see there being any problem,you might feel any bumps or imperfections of the road a bit more but that's nit-picking.

I also do my fair share of twisties,probably the same ones as you even.

Yeah, we probably do ride the same roads. lol!

I hear good things about the PR3/4's but they are much much more expensive than the T30's. Funny enough I recieved an e-mail response from Michelin and they recommended the Pilot Powers. :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Why the :wacko: for pilot powers? They work. Think the faster guys would wear 2 rears to a front. Hence running a PR2 rear with the PP front.

• Member Contributer

Why the :wacko: for pilot powers? They work. Think the faster guys would wear 2 rears to a front. Hence running a PR2 rear with the PP front.

Yoshi I think the :wacko: was because he stated how much he liked the BT023 in a previous post so he is looking for a good value ST tire like the T30 instead of just putting on a cheaper Michelin like the PP instead of the PR4.

That is my take on it anyway. I actually like the T30's as much or more than the PR4 and they are much less expensive.

• Member Contributer

Yoshi I think the :wacko: was because he stated how much he liked the BT023 in a previous post so he is looking for a good value ST tire like the T30 instead of just putting on a cheaper Michelin like the PP instead of the PR4.

That is my take on it anyway. I actually like the T30's as much or more than the PR4 and they are much less expensive.

Yup! That's why I made the face. It was a confused reaction, like "For real?!".

Because most companies are suggesting Sport Touring Tires as well as more sporty sticky tires. The Michelin rep just ignored all my questions about the GT spec tires and the Pilot Road brands and just said "we recommend the Michelin Pilot Power tires for your Honda motorcycle."

I have nothing against the PP tires at all.

Archived