Hydrolocked By Left Rear Cylinder

• Member Contributer

+1 on the "stop letting water get into the engine"

The damage being done is irreversible.

At least you have to look at where it could be coming from without saying "he's really good at removing the sparkplug now"

Nobody is having a personal dig at you, for goodness sake is everyone that sensitive now?

We are all watching to see where this is heading, I just gave you my educated opinion from having dismantled these motors many times.

I might be right or I might be wrong, but doing nothing is not fixing it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Trust me there on top of it , I have seen them(Carvers) pull in at one of the TMac's with a half assembled VF500 that had not been start in years, work all night and by the next morning have it running with a tag on it . Ready for it's inaugural TMac ride.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the "stop letting water get into the engine"

The damage being done is irreversible.

At least you have to look at where it could be coming from without saying "he's really good at removing the sparkplug now"

Nobody is having a personal dig at you, for goodness sake is everyone that sensitive now?

We are all watching to see where this is heading, I just gave you my educated opinion from having dismantled these motors many times.

I might be right or I might be wrong, but doing nothing is not fixing it.

Trust me there on top of it , I have seen them(Carvers) pull at one of the TMac's with a half assembled VF500 that had not been start in years, work all night and by the next morning have it running with a tag on it . Ready for it's inaugural TMac ride.

I guess somewhere between doing nothing and on top of it is where we lie.

We have been doing everything we could think of and thought we had it corrected several times. That led us to ask for suggestions from the board knowing that along with thoughtful suggestions on what more we could do to troubleshoot the issue we knew we would get a dose of "what a dumbass" comments so no big deal.

Like most VFRD threads this is one is loaded with >90% good suggestions. It may be the weekend before we have time to dig in again but we will let you know when we find something.

• Member Contributer

I'm coming from an automotive point of view. So bear with me. Do you have access to a smoke machine? It is used to find Small leaks in emissions systems, .020" openings. Works by placing 'smoke' hose in to system you are checking and sealing the rest of the system [pair for example] turn it on if there is a leak you will see smoke coming out of leaking area. There is also a flow gauge to show if system is tight [no leaks] or flowing [leak]. Has save my onions plenty of times, manifold leaks, exhaust manifold, hoses you name it great diagnostic tool. Good luck in your search, makes things interesting as they say "Its the hunt not the kill". Hope you find your gremlins!! Dana

• Member Contributer

I'm coming from an automotive point of view. So bear with me. Do you have access to a smoke machine? It is used to find Small leaks in emissions systems, .020" openings. Works by placing 'smoke' hose in to system you are checking and sealing the rest of the system [pair for example] turn it on if there is a leak you will see smoke coming out of leaking area. There is also a flow gauge to show if system is tight [no leaks] or flowing [leak]. Has save my onions plenty of times, manifold leaks, exhaust manifold, hoses you name it great diagnostic tool. Good luck in your search, makes things interesting as they say "Its the hunt not the kill". Hope you find your gremlins!! Dana

Sounds like a job for the 2-stroke blender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well Mr.Carver any updates on the H2o producing VFR ?

Yeah, cause that rain yall just started gettin stretches all the way over to my side of the state and beyond and it's moving nearly due east.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, cause that rain yall just started gettin stretches all the way over to my side of the state and beyond and it's moving nearly due east.

I fill your pain .

• Member Contributer

I fill your pain .

Dave your typos are nothing if not amusingly disturbing. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I fill your pain .

Dave your typos are nothing if not amusingly disturbing. :wink:

opps "I feel your pain".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

There like big bears, they are preparing for winter by riding 18 hours by a day !

I didn't think GA had a 'winter' to speak of???

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yes... Mini purchased a cover for it, removed the rear cowl/seat cover and carries the bike cover around under a spider bungee now.

Has kept it covered for the past month at home and work while trying to get his 4th gen back to street-able condition.

He will take it down again this winter (remove the frame from the engine) and we will solve the issue over the winter while he rides the 4G for work daily.

We will update when we (finally) find the real cause.

• Member Contributer

Yes... Mini purchased a cover for it, removed the rear cowl/seat cover and carries the bike cover around under a spider bungee now.

Has kept it covered for the past month at home and work while trying to get his 4th gen back to street-able condition.

He will take it down again this winter (remove the frame from the engine) and we will solve the issue over the winter while he rides the 4G for work daily.

Thanks for the update CC.

Switchblade and I helped out a Kentucky VFR rider this past weekend who had an oil hydrolocked CBR1000RR. Apparently parking a CBR upside down will cause such things, even if it is only a minute or two.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade and I helped out a Kentucky VFR rider this past weekend who had an oil hydrolocked CBR1000RR. Apparently parking a CBR upside down will cause such things, even if it is only a minute or two.

Gotta hear the rest of that story..!

• Member Contributer

First for me. I have at least 50 times over the years help pull bikes backup to the road and CBR1000(Marks) was the first to liquid lock and not start. Lucky Kimball had his jump battery with him ,

Gotta hear the rest of that story..!

Story for me was the Pirelli Angle GT rear tire on a 2014 CBR1000. Just dont think it was the right tire for a attempt at triple digit pass on the Dragon.

Archived