VF500F2 Aka MBD Incubation Period At Least 52 Years

Dutchy

also, if it has stock sprockets, you MUST change that.  The thing is geared for like 240MPH or something.  WAY TOO TALL.  At least you have the SP2 improved injection that takes away a lot of the snatch.

http://www.rc51.org/gearing.htm

Sencond must do mod is the shock linkage.  Must be done.

http://www.rc51.org/link.htm

You already have a good back shock. I hope yer front end has been done. If not, that is number 3.

http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/RC51-Fork-Rework-Options-RC51-Fork-Rework.htm

My bike has an HRC 1/6 turn throttle on it and it hasnt bothered me enough to change it.

8 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Here the rear, mega bragging point no doubt..... :schla15:

PC181403.JPG

This is how a new Pirelli Diablo supercorsa sp looks like:

• Member Contributer

If ride height is what we want (5% more of 190), the the Ohlins can help here too :-)

IMAG6069.jpg

The yellow paint is flaking a bit, will see about that!

Yeah, the sound track is classic 1976 Neil Daimond..

The Lasers sound bitching as well.

• Member Contributer

Aye!

PC211436.JPG

Linda L.

PC211430.JPG

Dolly P. (nice surprise to find them pair....)

PC211432.JPG

electrical system tests ok

Connector clean

IMAG6073.jpg

Battery is 3 months old

Ignition off

IMAG6075.jpg

Idling along

IMAG6076.jpg

~5,000RPM

IMAG6077.jpg

Alternator resistance all 3 combination of the yellow wires ~0.5 Ohm; book says test at 20C. Hahahahahahaha it is frigging near freezing here!!!

All three give some 27-30Vac idling, ~77-80Vac @~5Krpm

I *think* the bodywork is aftermarket since there are no Honda markings or partnumbers on the inside.  No biggie, I got her at a very good price and condition is very good.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, timmythecop said:

also, if it has stock sprockets, you MUST change that.  The thing is geared for like 240MPH or something.  WAY TOO TALL.  At least you have the SP2 improved injection that takes away a lot of the snatch.

Sencond must do mod is the shock linkage.  Must be done.

You already have a good back shock. I hope yer front end has been done. If not, that is number 3.

My bike has an HRC 1/6 turn throttle on it and it hasnt bothered me enough to change it.

The PO fitted a new chain+sprocket set 3,000miles ago (also a new rear brake rotor)... Just dropped him a note asking if he changed the gearing

http://www.mlmparts.com/nl/dc-afam-kettingkit-voor-honda-vtr-1000-sp2-2003.html

Yes I have a (2002) SP2 and will take it to the suspension guru that did my VF500F2 next year.

I still have the shims and compression valves from JD; he told me that is would be good for an SP too.. 

Front fork oil 10W+seals were fitted 3,5 years/10k miles ago so they are due for a service anyway. according to the PO, they are standard, set up for his weight. He's about my size and weight...

I've yet to properly RIDE her, so let's see how I like her.

The brakes (the rotors are by Braking, come from a 4th gen/VF500, they are awesome!  (my left wrist was not very happy,but a man has to do what a man has to do...)

For all you SP1 lovers out there...

IMAG6084.jpg

IMAG6085.jpg

IMAG6086.jpg

IMAG6087.jpg

IMAG6088.jpg

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Out with the old

IMAG6116.jpg

In with the new...

IMAG6104.jpg

Old and older

IMAG6107.jpg

Both feet of the ground

IMAG6110.jpg

Wintersleep

IMAG6118.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 12/21/2016 at 3:19 AM, timmythecop said:

The only problem is the 190/55 is always the most expensive tyre in the catalog. I am pretty sure the 190/55 did not exist when this bike first came out, so the manual specs the 50.

Yeah, looking at the Metzelers, there is some $35 premium.

Dunlop is due a new sport tire and in spring to usually do a "money off" offer....

With the Abbastand, I can take both wheels of a drive to my rubber man; the dealer simply is too expensive...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Oh man.  I've ridden a couple Rc51s.  One when they came out, right out of a crate.  Then another later that was moderately set up.  They get more comfortable and handle better the harder you push them.  Could not live with one as my only bike...  Which is not your problem!  Hell yeah!

• Member Contributer

The original final gearing is, I believe, 16 tooth front/40 tooth rear which as Timmy noted allows supersonic speeds in 6th. I switched to a 15/41 sprocket combo, ~10% difference, and although it's still high the improvement is dramatic and will probably double your clutch plate life.

In addition to what has been posted here, below is advice from luvtoleanit when I got my RC51 last summer. And I have included a photo just because I can't help it.

When you can, the minimal list:

15/41 gearing

Kyle Racing Clip Ons (raises them up an inch and out an inch)

New Seat

Ohlins Rear

Kyle Racing dogbone

Kyle racing modified front forks

Slip-ons and a tune

Remove soft limiter and flapper

IMG_2249.JPG

yea, I forgot to mention the flapper and the soft limiter (both done on mine).  I am in the minority about the seat though.  I ride on the stock seat even though I have the option to put on a sargent.

• Member Contributer

The seat (and other) ergonomics I will experience soon I hope (wrist and roads ok).  ~7 years ago my gut prevented me to reach the bars properly when I sat on a SP, that is now solved. Want to check her out the "as is" first.

Will direct funds to the technical side first, oil, coolant, hydraulics (speedbleeders ordered) and suspension. The Ohlins rear has never been serviced afaik, not by the PO who owned her 4 years.  The front got new 10W 2 years ago but remains oem. I kept JD's compression valves+shimstack so they can go in.

Add new rubber so that in total will approach a grand....

Flapper noted,  I will test if this 2002 EU model has the soft limitterr or not. There are still some german autobahns left w/o speelimits!

If and when the ergos bother me, a set of adjustable clipons might be next... 

Am in Luxemburg at the moment, home of Gilles Tooling. Man, they do produce some really nice stuff..... 

Been scouring the RC51forum as well.

Good thing i still own the VF; else the VFRD PC Police would chase me of the reservation......   :-)

Life is good....

• Member Contributer

WTH is *that*?

And Did you do your RC51 over? not only flat black but also the front fairing?

• Member Contributer
On 12/19/2016 at 11:28 AM, JZH said:

You clearly did not learn your lesson!  :tongue:

Ciao,

54 today....

Old enough to know better

Young enough not to care..... 

• Like 2