Honda Is Officially Launching The Road-Legal Rc213V-S Later This Week At The Catalunya Motogp Race...

richieg

Question

Before I start I will apologize for my rant.

RC213V-S who bloody cares, Honda for the last few years have totally lost the plot when it comes to what real world riders want, we don't want what some arrogant design engineer tells us we want. This bike is pointless except to stroke the ego's of the rich who will more than likely just add it to there exotics collection that sits on show in there air conditioned garage. Those that will put road miles on them also wont be the type of person that will ride the bike with venom, it will be some poser that is more worried about the look at me aspect that the thrill of the stead he is riding.

I personally don't see myself ever buying another new model Honda if for some reason my 6th gen implodes & I need to buy another bike. Just take this forum for a very simple example of the wish list the replacement for the 6th gen should have been & what did we get the VFR1200. The VFR1200 for those that enjoy what it offers is a good bike but it simply wasn't what those with a 5/6th gen wanted as an upgrade. Then few years later we get the 8th gen, pathetic it only came out because the 6th gen is really a 10+ year old model & people VFR fans weren't buying the VFR1200 like Honda wanted. The 8th gen I'm not bagging what I'm saying is they already had the 6th gen which except for upgrades that weren't even required it's the same bike under the skin. The 8th gen should have been given a decent hp increase to warrant the added rider aids like traction control etc, hell there old design CBR1000RR still doesn't have traction control but it's an upgrade on a 100hp 220 odd kg sports tourer.

I'm not stopping my CBR1000RR 08 was a great bike as an upgrade from the 07 but it's now 2015 & it's still more or less the same, every other manufacturer show case hyper sportbike (except Suzuki but doesn't matter as the GSXR sucks anyway) has had major tech/hp upgrades. Jonathan Rea stayed loyal riding the same bike for years waiting for the upgrade that never happened, just look what he is doing on a Kawasaki that has updated the model.

Honda the bikes that have wings has a different meaning now, you have to believe in fairy wings to get a Honda you want.

• Member Contributer

The paint/graphics on the front speak "VFR1200" to me..... anyone agree?

Fully agree with what you write on the VFR1200 (I've ridden it in all its guises).

It is a great bike, but not a VFR.....

As for your 6th gen imploding............ keep the psi's down on the blower ok? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

For my $200,000 I'd rather have the canceled V5 !!! this RC2136545309 does diddley squat for me....BFD....The NR 750 excites me WAY more than this run of the mill V4.

• Member Contributer

For my $200,000 I'd rather have the canceled V5 !!! this RC2136545309 does diddley squat for me....BFD....The NR 750 excites me WAY more than this run of the mill V4.

They really had an opportunity with the V5. My God in Heaven, many of us, thousands, were salivating with our checkbook in hand ready to sign a dotted line, IMMEDIATELY. What a bike that would have been. I know of one well known mechanic/shop owner on the West Coast with big, big connections in Japan. At Honda, Moriwaki, Sato (wink wink). I remember calling to order some chit for my RC51 and got told (before the press found out) that it was circling their test track and near production ready. 6 months later it was "I haven't heard anything so I'd bet that canceled it". They built the damn thing and some bean counter said no. Might have been the bike of the decade and century so far. Word was it was like the VFR1200. It was definitely not a literbike but a GT. Imagine firing up that V5 in your garage, with full exhaust or slip-ons and heading out for a trip to your twisties or canyons.

In agrerement on this production RCV. Who cares? Would seem like much better resources being spent on a V4 1000CC production bike that people can afford. My GM says Hondas are not moving and it's a big dealership. They do not have an industry leader in the entire lineup and they need one, starting with their 600cc and 1000cc supersport bikes. Another inline 4 CBR1000RR just isn't going to cut it against that new R1, BMW S1000RR, RSV4, Panigale 1299, etc. Yet if they make a 1000cc Superbike with V4 power there would be a line around the building. Idjuts.

• Member Contributer

Beancounter says no if research show that:

Customers will only be prepared to pay less than it would cost to bring it to market

Or

Not enough customers are prepared to pay cost+ to recover investment and return a profit

Methink anyway....

• Member Contributer

Well, It's on the Honda website now! http://www.rc213v-s.com/

It's on Big Red's American website under supersports! But no price...

Update! It says $184,000 on the spec sheet you can pull up. That like $18k/horsepower (it says 101 HP and 66lb-ft of torque - which my 750 made at 77k miles...for 6900 bucks...

• Member Contributer

Beancounter says no if research show that:

Customers will only be prepared to pay less than it would cost to bring it to market

Or

Not enough customers are prepared to pay cost+ to recover investment and return a profit

Methink anyway....

No. Honda was too paranoid about releasing it for production, competitors figuring out the tech, and using it to sell their own bikes. Honda is an extremely paranoid company.

• Member Contributer

Bless HRC in the name of the Father...  ($15,000)
18753559201_cb062f15fd_b.jpg

in the name of the Son... ($27,500)
NakedRC45JPG.jpg

and the Holy Smokes...  $184,000
7217d3b1-fa06-4a91-b176-6d2e0735d2b3-720

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2015 at 9:03 AM, zedXmick said:

I've listen to the V5 clamor for years but Honda won't invest in a
design that ain't got a change in hell with the MotoGp or WSBK

competition rules...

Honda's brilliant V5 was a win at all cost option only for MotoGp...
economically speaking the V5 was a dead end engine architect because
the current WSB and now the current MGP rules ban anything other than 4
cylinders... so without a race venue to compete in Honda has no way to
justify cost of tooling up...

• Member Contributer
On 6/10/2015 at 1:57 AM, zRoYz said:

This bike is pointless except to stroke the ego's of the rich who will more than likely just add it to there exotics collection that sits on show in there air conditioned garage.

Honda's race bred V4s four strokes were never designed to be affordable for
the masses... because if you want an affordable four stroke Honda will
sell you a CBR pedestrian street bike... Honda's race bred V4s are design to be a
affordable race platform in 3 different venues WSBK IOM and World
Endurance... the limited number to homologate for racing WSBK is 500 World
Wide... MotoGp and IOM have no current homologation rule...

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I've listen to the V5 clamor for years but Honda won't invest in a
design that ain't got a change in hell with the MotoGp or WSBK

competition rules...

Honda's brilliant V5 was a win at all cost option only for MotoGp...
economically speaking the V5 was a dead end engine architect because
the current WSB and now the current MGP rules ban anything other than 4
cylinders... so without a race venue to compete in Honda has no way to
justify cost of tooling up...

They may have recycled everything by now, but they certainly used to be in positon to produce V5s... :blush:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On 7/1/2016 at 4:07 AM, JZH said:

They may have recycled everything by now, but they certainly used to be in positon to produce V5s... :blush:

Ciao,

Granted Honda could produce because they got bank but without a race venue as a design goal  a V5 would suffer the same fate as the NR750... a rolling show case of technology that is over weight and under powered...

• Member Contributer

I'm not so sure about that.  Honda invested quite a lot into the VFR1200 V4 engine and there are no significant race series in which that engine can be used...

Ciao,

But that's not a racing bike. rlRacing rules are irrelevant to the VFR1200, but the engine is still important enough to that type of bike to warrant the investment, or so they thought.

• Member Contributer

Lets get real... instead of a no hoper 1000cc V5 that Honda can't race
we should clamor for a RVF600R that they can race... I think a race
bred V4 would not only fit into Honda's Moto 2 support plans like a
glove but also decimate World Super Sport competition... I always
thought a 600 version of the NC35 is a logic choice for the big
pockets at Honda...

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

Could they do it for $15k? I'd love to see a shift to V4 600 street bikes.

I got to preach the V4 gospel to a couple of Honda R&D guys on Cannery Row...
Namely Paul Venture and Matt Cardenas who are employed at Honda R&D
research analyst motorcycle research product planning... they didn't
really get what I was saying about V4s but they did agree to visit the
BLS someday and take a spin on Mr.RC45 to better understand my
passion... however we did discuss cost figures... according to Paul
and Matt, Honda can make 600 I4s for 11K whereas an 600 V4 would cost
17K... I challenged them to get it down to 14K and then my voice gave
out...

Paul Ventura...
3710884738_354da4b40f_b.jpg

Matt Cardenas...
3710884734_3b980226c5_b.jpg