Intermittant High Coolant Temperature Or Just Faulty Readout?

joel1952

• Member Contributer

Hi Joel, thanks for posting your findings, and I'm pleased that you've identified the issue that caused the "overheating". As an owner of a 5th gen with a fair few kms on it, I like to keep abreast of the problems that others experience, and what they found, just in case it happens to me at some point. I've had some great information from this forum and the helpful souls that keep it alive.

With that in mind, I feel I need to stick up for my fellow forum members, as you seem to have taken exception to certain responses.

When you post a question here, you will (hopefully) get lots of responses, some well-informed based on in-depth knowledge, some mere speculation, and some outright guesses. All of them are well-intentioned and more importantly, free. As the OP it is up to you to sort the wheat from the chaff, and to do so in the manner intended. I don't think it is very constructive to single out the responses that you did not find helpful, as in some instances they can trigger more useful posts. So please lighten up a bit.

To be fully absolved for your transgression, post up some pictures of your Iceland trip, I'd love to see them. Sermon over.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joel, thanks for posting your findings, and I'm pleased that you've identified the issue that caused the "overheating". As an owner of a 5th gen with a fair few kms on it, I like to keep abreast of the problems that others experience, and what they found, just in case it happens to me at some point. I've had some great information from this forum and the helpful souls that keep it alive.

With that in mind, I feel I need to stick up for my fellow forum members, as you seem to have taken exception to certain responses.

When you post a question here, you will (hopefully) get lots of responses, some well-informed based on in-depth knowledge, some mere speculation, and some outright guesses. All of them are well-intentioned and more importantly, free. As the OP it is up to you to sort the wheat from the chaff, and to do so in the manner intended. I don't think it is very constructive to single out the responses that you did not find helpful, as in some instances they can trigger more useful posts. So please lighten up a bit.

To be fully absolved for your transgression, post up some pictures of your Iceland trip, I'd love to see them. Sermon over.

Thanks for your reply. I'm Just having fun with the whole process, being fully aquantainted with the variable quality and dubious nature of the bulk of the advice offered here on the Inter-Web.

I hope that I inserted the appropriate number of smily faces and jokes, in the spirit of the forum.

I did learn things about the VFR and cooling systems in general, I am careful to post the resolution of my problem(s) and attempted to share my new-found knowledge to the benefit of all..

Maryville, TN?????????? Maybe I will see you on the Gap and the road around Robbinsville, NC on my annual trip to the Smokies on my other VFR, my TN-Based VFR800FI :wheel:

As far as "posting" Iceland pictures here..."How 1990's" :tongue::wink: Check out my Facebook (that's easier for both of us) joel coster 7 or somesuch. I think there is only one of me. FB Friends welcome, but be sure to message me with a cooling system comment so I know that we have something in common. (I've been on the road for 5 weeks, so you will have to scroll down a ways to see Iceland pics)

Joel

PS I like your "Offering ill-informed opinions since 1982". I've often thought that my mission is "correcting all the ill-informed opinions on the interweb" :computer-noworky:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your reply. I'm Just having fun with the whole process, being fully aquantainted with the variable quality and dubious nature of the bulk of the advice offered here on the Inter-Web.

I hope that I inserted the appropriate number of smily faces and jokes, in the spirit of the forum.

I did learn things about the VFR and cooling systems in general, I am careful to post the resolution of my problem(s) and attempted to share my new-found knowledge to the benefit of all..

Maryville, TN?????????? Maybe I will see you on the Gap and the road around Robbinsville, NC on my annual trip to the Smokies on my other VFR, my TN-Based VFR800FI :wheel:

As far as "posting" Iceland pictures here..."How 1990's" :tongue::wink: Check out my Facebook (that's easier for both of us) joel coster 7 or somesuch. I think there is only one of me. FB Friends welcome, but be sure to message me with a cooling system comment so I know that we have something in common. (I've been on the road for 5 weeks, so you will have to scroll down a ways to see Iceland pics)

Joel

PS I like your "Offering ill-informed opinions since 1982". I've often thought that my mission is "correcting all the ill-informed opinions on the interweb" :computer-noworky:

You see me too if you make it to the DRAGON . :wheel:

Roll On ..

FB is sooo '00s :goofy:

Look for "VFRD People" on the book of faces

"....As far as "posting" Iceland pictures here..."How 1990's" :tongue::wink: Check out my Facebook (that's easier for both of us) joel coster 7 or somesuch.................." :computer-noworky:

HOW 2012 of me. No one wants to search for anything.

https://www.facebook.com/joel.coster.7/posts/10154291489308539

I believe the link will take you to the begining of my trip. In London. Yeah I hate FB, too, but after decades of frustration, I find that it is the best way to share photos with F&F's (((( Well, damn. I See that One "Post" but i guess you still have to go to the beginning of my FB and scroll WAYYYY Down to see Iceland. Sorry)))

My VFR is stored in London, so I had the shop pick it up before I arrived so I could get the Federally mandated MOT (safety inspection) which is required before I can register, insure or operate it on the street.

It starts with bike maintenance but I quickly resort to travel photography....Scenery, Architecture, and even Bird photography. It's not a BIKE Travelog, if you can stand it :comp13:

http://joelcoster.com/display.php?img=7

Is this your work ?

Roll On ..

No

I am https://www.facebook.com/joel.coster.7

Back in the UK. A Honda dealer with a Cafe!! Breakfast here I come

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75335856@N03/18959473253/in/datetaken-public/

A low mileage 2003 VFR, just purchased by a chap who owned one when they were new and now he is getting back into riding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/75335856@N03/18958258644/in/datetaken-public/

• 2 years later...
  • Member Contributer

I did one of my favorite rides out to the desert this past November and started experiencing some odd gage readings.  At first I thought I was scoring incredible mileage but really it was the gage it just barely budged off full till the very end of the tank.  The next fault was the temp gage started to soar (up to 240+) in big chunks of degrees up and down.  I have never experienced that before.  The fan did not appear to come on at all.  Once I got out of local traffic in lovely Mecca (everybody has to go once in a lifetime...trip report coming) the temp stabilized to normal ranges but still tended to jump in big increments.  

Rather than buying and throwing parts at the problem, my usual modus operandi, I started with the treasured VFRD search instead!  This thread seemed to describe my symptoms.

So I pulled the front cowl see below......... BTW thanks ZoomZoom

Nothing looked terribly wrong but there was one zip tie that was touching the printed circuit board and the board was very dirty especially in the area where those circuits (temp and fuel) are on the left side of the board as you look at it here from the front of the bike. So I made sure all the wiring bundle brackets were in place and cut the zip to ensure it did not touch the circuit and cleaned the road oil/grime/dirt off the board. 

medium.DSCN2828.JPG.39a2a1140d36e0290f80

This was the first time I have pulled the front cowl in 19 years!  I may have to do this again someday but it was fun .......only causing slight marital stress when she braved coming into the garage.  Now everything is steady and the temp works to spec with the fan going on in normal range which prevents the temp from climbing to astronomical heights. I have done a couple of road trips and lots of driveway testing and all appears well............I hope!

Archived