New And Improved Alternative Ram Mount

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

I'm definitely interested. I have a question. Doesn't this fit right into the tank bolt holes, just needing slightly longer bolts? http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN10U

Hi lint, the mount you show in the link does mount using the tank bolts. However, some members have an issue with the arm scratching the tank. The mount I modify goes in the steering stem tube.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks HGuns. I'll see if I can pull both off. I had money set aside to use for some gear, the RAM Mount and your mount as well, however my Ford Explorer decided it wanted to break a band in the automatic transmission. I'm waiting to get a total on the repair from my transmission guy. I'm flying out from where I live in SoCal to Nashville to buy the bike that Baileyrock is selling and I have to be more frugal than originally intended due to the transmission problem. Ugh. On the plus side, I am very grateful I have the extra money to fix my truck, and still get the bike. I crashed my 05 February 6th on Mulholland Drive when someone poured oil in the middle of a turn. Multiple locations up and down the road...

I'm definitely interested. I have a question. Doesn't this fit right into the tank bolt holes, just needing slightly longer bolts? http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN10U

Hi lint, the mount you show in the link does mount using the tank bolts. However, some members have an issue with the arm scratching the tank. The mount I modify goes in the steering stem tube.

Never mind, Info I need is above.. Edit again, the price is on page one. ***tucks head and shyly sneaks into dark corner***

• Member Contributer

You are welcome lint and no rush, take care of your things first. I'll have parts when you are ready for one. Understand the oil thing also, oil field in Oklahoma is non stop and tanker trucks are always forgetting to turn their valves off after picking up crude from a pumping site. Oil everywhere so caution is needed until you get on a main road.

• Member Contributer

Just completed installation of my new RAM mount courtesy of HGuns, on my 2010. As everyone else has noted, it is rock solid, and the finish level is very high. Definitely worth it!

But...it doesn't come with installation instructions. As an aid to the forum, I spent a few hours putting together the detailed instructions below. You may want to print them for reference:

1. Remove plastic steering stem cap.

2. Insert RAM mount.

3. Tighten screw.

And, of course, photos below. Thanks HG!

post-3265-0-70481400-1457387330.jpgpost-3265-0-11373100-1457387368.jpgpost-3265-0-09490700-1457387390.jpg

• Member Contributer

You are welcome lint and no rush, take care of your things first. I'll have parts when you are ready for one. Understand the oil thing also, oil field in Oklahoma is non stop and tanker trucks are always forgetting to turn their valves off after picking up crude from a pumping site. Oil everywhere so caution is needed until you get on a main road.

There is a slight difference in Lint's case, it was reported that residents were PURPOSELY pouring oil on the roads...

http://ktla.com/2016/02/03/motorcyclists-claim-canyon-roads-in-malibu-are-being-sabotaged-to-keep-them-away/

• Member Contributer

Just completed installation of my new RAM mount courtesy of HGuns, on my 2010. As everyone else has noted, it is rock solid, and the finish level is very high. Definitely worth it!

But...it doesn't come with installation instructions. As an aid to the forum, I spent a few hours putting together the detailed instructions below. You may want to print them for reference:

2. Insert RAM mount.

3. Tighten screw.

attachicon.gifIMG_1868.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1867.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1866.JPG

Thanks for posting those pictures, it just works so well in that spot. Able to see all instruments and the gps is directly in line with them. You did forget to add enjoy your favorite beverage while installing the mount in the instructions :biggrin:

There is a slight difference in Lint's case, it was reported that residents were PURPOSELY pouring oil on the roads...

http://ktla.com/2016/02/03/motorcyclists-claim-canyon-roads-in-malibu-are-being-sabotaged-to-keep-them-away/

Thanks for the link Duc, hopefully the authorities caught the people responsible for that and took action.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My VF500F2 steering stem hole is ~19mm in diameter; will this work?

(It would require drilling a hole in the plastic cover where it reads "fuse" but that would be a small price to pay...)

post-8974-0-93621500-1458925033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Redslut has a new trinket!!!

post-8974-0-18424000-1460712835.jpg

Cheers Fred! :beer:

the diameter on the VF is too small, but no biggie, I have a rammount on the left controls cluster.

A little late to the party on this, but here is my Ram mount on my 8th gen all hooked up and ready to ride. I did about 200 miles yesterday and the setup is perfect. Very easy to see without blocking any instruments. I'm a happy camper.

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I received my mount from huntinggunns shortly after placing my order. The mount is strong, well made and looks great. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and for a few hundred miles with no issues.  Definatley worth the money. Thanks huntinggunns! image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/7/2016 at 1:53 PM, St. Stephen said:

2. Insert RAM mount.

3. Tighten screw.

post-3265-0-70481400-1457387330.jpgpost-3265-0-11373100-1457387368.jpgpost-3265-0-09490700-1457387390.jpg

Sounds like something I could do but ... PM sent to HGuns

• Member Contributer
On 3/7/2016 at 1:53 PM, St. Stephen said:

2. Insert RAM mount.

3. Tighten screw.

Last night I verified that the above instructions work...always a treat when something turns out to be easier than thought possible.  Thanks St. Stephen and HG.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

It took all of 2 or 3 days for huntinggunns to fill my order, and all of 2 or 3 minutes to install.  Very high quality, very well-thought out, and very solid once installed.

Thanks, Fred!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have an iPhone 5 in a Lifeproof case. What do I need to mount it in the steering stem socket of my 4th gen? I'm confused by all the Ram offerings so hoping someone can just tell me what bits I need. Thanks.

• Member Contributer
I have an iPhone 5 in a Lifeproof case. What do I need to mount it in the steering stem socket of my 4th gen? I'm confused by all the Ram offerings so hoping someone can just tell me what bits I need. Thanks.

Ram makes a 1"ball plate that would mount to your case. A short 1" arm and one of my mounts would have you ready to go. I have a couple of other members that want a mount and I just got parts in to fab some up. Hopefully I will have the time this week to get some ready if you can wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry guys, I've had a lot on my plate lately. For those of you who know me, you know what I have been dealing with over the last few months. I can say that my wife is now in the clear, looks like she beat that cancer word that everyone hates to hear about. So, things are just now getting back to normal. I have parts to fab up a few mounts in the garage and should be able to get to those this afternoon. I'll pm the folks that inquired about them in the next day or so. I appreciate your patience.

• Member Contributer

Hey HG,

Good to hear about your wife's situation. My wife has been cancer free for 13 years now.

I was asking about a RAM setup but I watched a bunch of YT videos and figured out what I need but I can get a complete setup with fork mount for less than your modified mount+exchange+shipping. That's the reality for Canadian buying cross border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Thank you for your patience to all the members that were wanting a mount. I am glad to say that I have parts again and have a few fabbed up and ready to go. Just pm me if you are interested. Thanks again.

Archived