How Facebook Is Replacing Forums!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Sounds like a browser problem. I think I've logged in once this year, and I'm here every day. Facebook is much more of a PIA than any forum I belong to. At least most of those don't try to force feed me crap I'm not interested in, and don't want to see.

What he said...... I only have to sign in if I do a system clean....... There's also a "remember me" box that needs to be checked at the time you sign in......

• Member Contributer

Wait 'till your electrical system craps out. Then you'll be back asking questions and telling us what a great forum this is . . .

Scenario: I get an email notice that someone just posted a reply to a topic that I have subscribed to. I click the link, but must log in to see it. Maybe I haven't been on the forum for a while. "Remember me" is always checked. This doesn't happen with twitface with users using real names and locations--even after months.

It's annoying because, what's the big deal? What's being protected?

Moto forums peaked in 2011, most are down to a third of what they were, even Sport Touring Net. Must be a reason.

• Member Contributer

"Remember me" will not work if your browser is set to delete cookies when it's closed.

• Member Contributer

Yes, because facebook is a great place to start searching for posts about how to do a 5/6th gen brake bleed. Other than all the ads now, and that nothing is in order, and that half the stuff isn't stuff you choose to see anyways.

I'm using Opera 12.16 (very old now). If I'm not logged in, I go to the login page, hit two buttons, and it autofills my login info and I'm in in two secs. Take some time to pick up some more tech savvyness

• Member Contributer

I recommend the LastPass browser add on. It's a more secure way to track passwords to your various forums, and websites.

• Member Contributer

I think the point of the log in is to reduce the number of people spamming with unrelated crap. We get one every so often, but they get removed pretty quick.

No need to get all riled up.

Yes, this is a great forum. But member and user numbers are fading. Don't shoot the messenger.

The point: If I go on this and other forums daily, no problem. But, if a month goes by, why make it difficult for anyone to get back in? That's all.

• Member Contributer

No need to get all riled up.

Yes, this is a great forum. But member and user numbers are fading. Don't shoot the messenger.

The point: If I go on this and other forums daily, no problem. But, if a month goes by, why make it difficult for anyone to get back in? That's all.

I like the fact that I have to log in if I have been gone for a while.

The very platform that FB uses to ensure you are always connected is what makes their intrusion into ones private life so nefarious and thorough...If you ever try to leave FB it's like breaking up with a psycho GF... FB will keep all of your pics and leave your personal data out there. FB will probably scratch all of your old albums as well.

I will stay here with the other Luddites. :-)

• Member Contributer

Moto forums peaked in 2011, most are down to a third of what they were, even Sport Touring Net. Must be a reason.

I really hope that's not the case, as Facebook's design does not facilitate discussion--and is optimized mainly to generate revenue for FB (at the expense of good discussion features).

• Member Contributer

Fakebook

Twatter, where Twats congregate

Instacrap

You can have it all as I want none.

Totally agree. I call it Faceless. When my son and i go for a beer its like there's three of us. Hes permanently on it. Drives me mad. Personally i have two friends on Faceless, my son and daughter purely for emergencies. I refuse all "friend" requests so dont even try it! :mad:

Totally agree. I call it Faceless. When my son and i go for a beer its like there's three of us. Hes permanently on it. Drives me mad. Personally i have two friends on Faceless, my son and daughter purely for emergencies. I refuse all "friend" requests so dont even try it! :mad:

...friend request sent.

• Member Contributer

How ironic for me, I have an FB account and I maybe go there maybe once or twice a week to catch up but I come here DAILY! It has to be your settings vguy as I don't have to log in, whether it's on my computer or my iPad. I also have a few friends that have FB accounts and they don't always post or visit FB very often either. The way FB gets their revenue is by all the little applets and adds they host, something that is not found here and something I prefer not to have to filter through when online. To be honest, the only reason I even have an FB account is to stay in contact with family that does not live close to me. Although I have a few childhood friends, most of my list consist of family and "extended" family.

How ironic for me, I have an FB account and I maybe go there maybe once or twice a week to catch up but I come here DAILY! It has to be your settings vguy as I don't have to log in, whether it's on my computer or my iPad. I also have a few friends that have FB accounts and they don't always post or visit FB very often either. The way FB gets their revenue is by all the little applets and adds they host, something that is not found here and something I prefer not to have to filter through when online. To be honest, the only reason I even have an FB account is to stay in contact with family that does not live close to me. Although I have a few childhood friends, most of my list consist of family and "extended" family.

Yes, as I recall we are FB friends and have ridden together.

If like you, I was on VFRD daily (as I probably should) it would be smooth sailing with no log-in.

I manage several FB pages for some of our website clients so I'm on it most week days for an hour or so. It does help their business and mine and it's free, so I can't "hate it" even though it's pretty shallow in most cases (except for yours and mine).

BTW: I just noticed that VFR World has a FB page!

Archived