Delkevic Exhaust Headers Complete Kit

Anyone do the Delkevic Exhaust Headers with 9" kit? If so did you use the o2 Eliminator and what fuel management did you use? Map? Trying to get the most out of system!

What are the best spark plugs to use?

Any suggestions? Pictures of installed headers? Problems getting clearance for the stand?

I have the headers only. they line up pretty well, I have a small exhaust leak at the collector which im gonna get around to fixing one day. they do however not seem to be as stainless as they claim they are. will upload pics later tonight to show you.

I put used Delkevic headers on my 02 about 4 years ago. Mated up to Staintune exhaust. I kept the center stand on the bike but had to make a rubber bumper for it since it did not have the stock bump stop tab. The Delkevic also did not have the stock bolt hanger so made alignment a little tougher. You'll definitely need new header gaskets and most likely will need the gaskets for the rear down tubes. Not as easy as installing I4 headers but with a little patience the install is not too bad. I used my car's jack to help support everything during the alignment and tightening process.

I did have to go with aftermarket clamps for the rear down tubes. OEM were so rusted that I had to cut them off. Needed new clamps anyway since headers I used are spec'ed for 98-01 so tube OD is bigger than stock 02-09. I used the O2 eliminators that I bought with the PC3 although you can simply use a resister (do a search for correct ohm #).

When I bought the used headers they were not advertised as stainless and they certainly are not. They showed as such after a couple of seasons riding in some nasty rain. Developed a leak on the #3 header gasket so had a excuse to pull it all apart. I sanded the entire header and painted with high temp exhaust paint (silver). This time I took the center stand off since headers need to be off to access the right side bolt. (tip-right hand bolt is reverse thread - don't ask how I found out the hard way). Much happier with the look sans center stand (I have a rear stand for when needed). Exhaust paint is holding up well - I'll post some pics. Also, depending on how corroded your exhaust studs are don't be surprised if one or more back out while you take the old stuff off. Fortunately, I didn't break any. I replaced those that backed out and thoroughly cleaned those that stayed in the head.

I used Coyze's map from this site.

Pics referenced above.
Kind of a tight shot but you can see one of the rear down tube clamps.

IMG 0272 2

Front headers do not cross like OEM.

IMG 0270 2

Good shot of no center stand and high temp silver paint.

IMG 0271 2

Also, should have mentioned - the last time I took it apart I sanded and repainted the heat shield as it had some rust pits. I used the same wrinkle paint used on the clutch cover after Seb's mod.

Pics referenced above.
Kind of a tight shot but you can see one of the rear down tube clamps.
Front headers do not cross like OEM.
Good shot of no center stand and high temp silver paint.
Also, should have mentioned - the last time I took it apart I sanded and repainted the heat shield as it had some rust pits. I used the same wrinkle paint used on the clutch cover after Seb's mod.

Looks Great!

I put used Delkevic headers on my 02 about 4 years ago. Mated up to Staintune exhaust. I kept the center stand on the bike but had to make a rubber bumper for it since it did not have the stock bump stop tab. The Delkevic also did not have the stock bolt hanger so made alignment a little tougher. You'll definitely need new header gaskets and most likely will need the gaskets for the rear down tubes. Not as easy as installing I4 headers but with a little patience the install is not too bad. I used my car's jack to help support everything during the alignment and tightening process.

I did have to go with aftermarket clamps for the rear down tubes. OEM were so rusted that I had to cut them off. Needed new clamps anyway since headers I used are spec'ed for 98-01 so tube OD is bigger than stock 02-09. I used the O2 eliminators that I bought with the PC3 although you can simply use a resister (do a search for correct ohm #).

When I bought the used headers they were not advertised as stainless and they certainly are not. They showed as such after a couple of seasons riding in some nasty rain. Developed a leak on the #3 header gasket so had a excuse to pull it all apart. I sanded the entire header and painted with high temp exhaust paint (silver). This time I took the center stand off since headers need to be off to access the right side bolt. (tip-right hand bolt is reverse thread - don't ask how I found out the hard way). Much happier with the look sans center stand (I have a rear stand for when needed). Exhaust paint is holding up well - I'll post some pics. Also, depending on how corroded your exhaust studs are don't be surprised if one or more back out while you take the old stuff off. Fortunately, I didn't break any. I replaced those that backed out and thoroughly cleaned those that stayed in the head.

I used Coyze's map from this site.

My dummy question is I bought the eliminator o2 kit does it matter which plug goes to which o2 sensor mine has 2 oem...Also will bike run ok without fuel management? maybe just getting it dynoed I am looking at the bazaz fuel management kit currently comes pre loaded for bike application then says you can tune or adjust as needed.

I have the headers only. they line up pretty well, I have a small exhaust leak at the collector which im gonna get around to fixing one day. they do however not seem to be as stainless as they claim they are. will upload pics later tonight to show you.

Did you have to use fuel management with the headers and being catless and did you use the eliminator plugs? Im doing complete delkevic kit and eliminator plugs(resister) looking at bazaz fuel control currently. If bike would run ok without was thinking about having a dyno done and call it good.

I put the PC3 on at the same time I installed the Staintunes, somewhere around 2007. Catless Delkevics went on later. O2 eliminators are the same so doesn't matter which goes where. Just for your info, 02 sensors are used in pairs, one on upstream and one down stream of the cat. ECU compares those readings and adjusts fueling to reduce emissions when at steady throttle - basically leans it out to almost stoichiometric . I can't say if it would run 'ok' without some sort of fuel management system as I never did that. That said, without a PC you will be stuck with stock fueling which will be sub-optimal. Doing a dyno run without a PC wouldn't do much except document what you end up with. In that case, a before and after dyne run would let you compare the differences. At least with that info you could decide to spend the money on a PC3 (or 5) or not.

PC3 was super easy install. It came loaded with a map, that I chose from a list of about 15, from the factory. Hit the Power Commander website and take a look at the maps they offer. Their website also offers multiple downloads that you can load in only a few minutes. I went that route then downloaded Coyze's map from this site. After I put the header's on I downloaded another map from this site that more closely matched my setup. The point is, this website has a bunch of PC downloads so check them out. I think you will likely find one that closely matches your intake and exhaust setup. I have no experience with the PC5 but understand it has some sort of autotune - not sure how well that works. Do a search for those details. No experience with Bazaz. I never dyne'd mine but have been very happy with the results.

Bottom line, if you are going to do a full exhaust upgrade to include catless headers I think it is worth the extra $250 for a PC3 but of course that is the route I went and your checkbook is none of my business. PM me if you want to chat more over the weekend.

I put the PC3 on at the same time I installed the Staintunes, somewhere around 2007. Catless Delkevics went on later. O2 eliminators are the same so doesn't matter which goes where. Just for your info, 02 sensors are used in pairs, one on upstream and one down stream of the cat. ECU compares those readings and adjusts fueling to reduce emissions when at steady throttle - basically leans it out to almost stoichiometric . I can't say if it would run 'ok' without some sort of fuel management system as I never did that. That said, without a PC you will be stuck with stock fueling which will be sub-optimal. Doing a dyno run without a PC wouldn't do much except document what you end up with. In that case, a before and after dyne run would let you compare the differences. At least with that info you could decide to spend the money on a PC3 (or 5) or not.

PC3 was super easy install. It came loaded with a map, that I chose from a list of about 15, from the factory. Hit the Power Commander website and take a look at the maps they offer. Their website also offers multiple downloads that you can load in only a few minutes. I went that route then downloaded Coyze's map from this site. After I put the header's on I downloaded another map from this site that more closely matched my setup. The point is, this website has a bunch of PC downloads so check them out. I think you will likely find one that closely matches your intake and exhaust setup. I have no experience with the PC5 but understand it has some sort of autotune - not sure how well that works. Do a search for those details. No experience with Bazaz. I never dyne'd mine but have been very happy with the results.

Bottom line, if you are going to do a full exhaust upgrade to include catless headers I think it is worth the extra $250 for a PC3 but of course that is the route I went and your checkbook is none of my business. PM me if you want to chat more over the weekend.

Thanks you helped me much to understand, Im new to modifying just want more but don't want to buy a vmax lol... Ill try to get a hold of you this weekend.

My bike when i purchased it came with staintune slipons, a K&N air filter and a PC3 USB, it also came installed with some map off the internet the owner chucked in, which it ran well on. When I installed the catless headers it wasn't as smooth, and was jerky and surged everywhere, so on this forum I found a guy who had run his on the dyno with almost the exact mods and used his map (credit to tinyminds for posting the map, thank you) which has smoothed it out alot, but will naturally be getting some dyno time to work out the little niggles my bike has.

I noticed that his map was alot richer everywhere compared to mine, so take that into account.

Edit: my PC3 ran O2 eliminators, so I left the bungs in that came with the delkevic headers.

post-25936-0-76401800-1433649966.jpgpost-25936-0-80903000-1433649943.jpg

Anyone do the Delkevic Exhaust Headers with 9" kit? If so did you use the o2 Eliminator and what fuel management did you use? Map? Trying to get the most out of system!

What are the best spark plugs to use?

Any suggestions? Pictures of installed headers? Problems getting clearance for the stand?

Ok Ive got them on and an Easy install but didn't correct my issue, the factory Cat did have a Hole in it. But posting pics for you all to see the Delkevic Headers downpipe kit...

Any further ideas let me know still turning over puff puff puff and every now and then starts??? Original problem started to pop and jerk then erratic throttle, then heated up and melted the cat then blew chunks out the exhaust. Fixed the CAT changed the plugs.

post-25936-0-34428300-1433649934.jpg

post-25936-0-32705200-1433649955.jpg

Archived