12 Years... (Vfr Calling)

sargent

It's been 12 years since I posted up here and in that time I've had a trio of Duc's, but new VFR has captured my interest. It wouldn't be the first time I've owned the same bike after a period of time; I suppose this VFR isn't exactly the same as the 2002 that I last owned though. The '13 Multistrada that I have is an excellent bike, great all around, and plenty of room to take my son on long weekend rides. Anyone done much 2 up on the new VFR?

• Member Contributer

Have done about 3000 of my bikes 5000 miles 2 up and fully loaded with panniers and 45L top box. Of that 1750 miles on holiday in France.

Longest journeys in one day were 503 miles and 489 miles both 2 up. No complaints from passenger apart from being stiff because of sitting for so long certainly no complaints from me ( apart from sore wrist after being stuck on M25 for hr n a half at a crawl, bike had been in at Honda prior to leaving and mechanics had moved lever to re glue grip and I'd forgotten to reset it once back home so that was my fault) Longest stint 170 miles before stopping.

Have to say it's more comfortable than the St 11 and 13 I have owned.

Great bike for long distance work.

• Member Contributer

It's been 12 years since I posted up here and in that time I've had a trio of Duc's, but new VFR has captured my interest. It wouldn't be the first time I've owned the same bike after a period of time; I suppose this VFR isn't exactly the same as the 2002 that I last owned though. The '13 Multistrada that I have is an excellent bike, great all around, and plenty of room to take my son on long weekend rides. Anyone done much 2 up on the new VFR?

My wife and I have done several long rides...I tend to put 12 hours+ in a day. She has sat on a Corbin with the backrest...the real issue is after 12 hours her but hurts...that and she says she would like arm-rests...like a Gold-wing...oh and a drink holder...I can't compete with that.

But for 8 hours she is very happy...we have been on a lot of W. VA, PA, and Ohio back roads. I have promised to add a sheepskin or another pad on top of the Corbin so that she can do 12 hours but have also promised to keep the rides less than 12.

Matt

In the original Bike magazine review of June 2014, they rode the new VFR800 2-up, from Spain - a trip of about 1,200 miles in about 72 hours.

The pillion passenger stuck a small cushion to the rear seat, and he noticed the power was down on larger bikes - when climbing the steep inclines found in Spain. He commented that it was only obvious because he came from a GS 1200, and a down shift of a gear was no hardship.

Overall he commented that it was "capable of carrying a passenger and gubbins, albeit not for long days in the saddle."

Hope this is of some use to you.

• 2 months later...

Have to say it's more comfortable than the St 11 and 13 I have owned.

That's an interesting comment - could you elaborate why you think it's more comfortable for you? I'm thinking of a second bike at this point and there is the desire for a long distance bike, but there are also the strong (good) memories I have for the 1993 VFR I had in the 90s. I would have never even thought about comparing the two in terms of comfort.

I personally define comfort by:

• Handlebar position - not too high, not too low, not too much forward but also not completely upright, also not too wide, wide handlebars are bad for my shoulder
  • Knee angle - for me a GS is very comfortable in that regard
  • Wind Protection - for long distance, more wind protection makes it much less tiring

What are your criteria? I believe they have to be completely different from mine as the ST series blows the VFR away on each of my criteria. I used to have the mentioned 93 VFR on which I did long days (when I was in my mid twenties), I also owned an ST1100 which I found to be VERY comfortable and great for long distance. I've done more miles on my VFR as I owned it longer, but just thinking back and considering that I'm now in my mid fourties, I just don't see how anyone could consider VFR to be more comfortable compared to an ST1100/ST1300.

• Member Contributer

As in I can get off the bike after 500 miles and be relatively pain free just stiff. Used to get sore backside and lower back after a few hrs on either of the pans.

Obviously wind protection is not as good as either of the pans but then your not having to battle as much with the side winds either.

I'm in my late 40s.

One of the problems I often see that leads to sore backside and lower back are handlebar risers. They are about the worst addition that can be done for a sustainable seating position for a person with a halfway healthy back.

I can certainly see your point, it's interesting to get that perspective.

• Member Contributer

One of the problems I often see that leads to sore backside and lower back are handlebar risers. They are about the worst addition that can be done for a sustainable seating position for a person with a halfway healthy back.

I can certainly see your point, it's interesting to get that perspective.

Why are bar risers the worst thing? I ask since I notice both your bikes are bolt upright riding position ergo bikes so you seem to prefer that (note I ride a daytona so don't mind forward lean :cool: )

None of my bikes are bolt upright actually. The GS has a very slight forward lean, although I can (unfortunately) slump down. The 2013 is my wife's bike and it has a distinct forward lean for her. I also have a 2015 R1200R which does have a fairly significant forward lean due to the high seat (I'm using a two inch higher seat).

All of them are less forward than the VFR, for sure.

The problem with risers is that a slight forward lean generally (not for everybody) prevents people from slumping down. Sitting like a sack of potatoes is the worst you can do for your (lower) back. That's why a lot of bikes that are perceived as "upright" have a forward lean of 2 to 4 degrees for average sized folks. People add risers to get rid of that lean, thinking they'd improve the ergonomics but actually doing the exact opposite. It might be easier to slouch but it certainly isn't healthier or better.

Archived