Hey Northern Friends!

baraka

It's been years since I've had a chance to visit Canada! I'll be in the Toronto area in June for the Horizon's Unlimited Meetup, and then heading out to New Brunswick for a wedding. Very excited to see parts of Canada I've only dreamed about!

My loose plan is to take three days to head east from Toronto to Moncton, spend the weekend in and around Moncton and hopefully check out Nova Scotia, and then head back to Pennsylvania through the states. I'll be traveling light and camping, hopefully avoiding boring slabbing on highways and seeing beautiful scenic country and nice twisty roads.

I've never been in those parts before: if anyone has any recommendations on good roads to ride, places to camp, sights to see, and amazing food to eat, that would be awesome!

Dan

• Member Contributer

That sounds like a great tour--I'm envious. I'm about a 10-minute drive from the Pacific, so it's stiff ride to get to the Maritimes for me. Still, while I have been as far east as Quebec City (on four wheels :sad:), touring the Maritimes on a motorcycle is on my bucket list. Good timing too, our Canadian petrodollar is only worth about 80 cents U.S. at the moment, so it'll be like everything is 20 percent off!

I'm sure some of the Maritimers will chime in shortly with suggestions for sights, routes and camping options.

Absolutely!

Itinerary so far is:

Day One: Thousand Islands Parkway from Toronto to Montreal

Day Two: Follow the Saint Laurent as far north out of Montreal as we can in a day...hopefully deep into coastal New Brunswick. Need to find some camping up around Matine/Lac Matapedia/Saint-Anne-De-Monts

Day Three: Cut across to Dalhousie and follow the coast down into Moncton for a weekend of wedding festivities and day trips around Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia!

Regression: as far down US-1 through Maine and New England as I can get before running out of vacation time and gas money! Then back to Pennsylvania!

Toronto to Kingston is properly the Loyalist Parkway, Thousand Island Pkwy is east of Kingston. Lots of nice sections. If you aren't already planning to do so, think about crossing into Prince Edward County at Trenton and make your way over to Picton and then Glenora. From Glenora its a short (free) ferry ride across to Adolphustown and Hwy 33 (Bath Road) into Kingston. The County is a really nice, old part of Ontario. Lots of wineries, orchards, old farms etc.

Now, if you want to be ambitious, I'd get away from Lake Ontario and head north. Toronto to Orillia, short ride across Hwy 12 to County Road 44 (Rama Road), right on Monck Road (County Road 45) to Kinmount. Jog down to County Road 503 to Gooderham and Tory Hill. At Tory Hill, pick up Hwy 118 to Hwy 28, and then north to Bancroft. Continue on 28 to Denbeigh, then take County Road 41 to Dacre and 132 on to Renfrew. From there you can cross into Quebec and meander down to Montreal, or continue to Ottawa and then down to Montreal on the Ontario side. This will take you about 8.5 hrs, gas is no problem. This route takes you through the algonquin highlands, good quality roads and pretty twisty. Another history note, large parts of this route take you on a couple of the major east-west colonization roads that were laid out to get settlers into the interior in the mid-1800s.

To alter the route, get yourself to Peterborough from Toronto, then head north on County Roads 29, and then 23 to Buckhorn. Just north of Buckhorn, pick up County Road 507 to Gooderham. 507 is one a favourite motorcycling road, so it can be busy and heavily patrolled. Going mid-week is better.

Ontario

+++1 on mid-week 507!

And if you've explored that far north then head over to Griffith on 41 for 71-65-508/Centennial Lake Rd to do the "Calabogie Boogie" and then 511 south out of Calabogie to 9/Tatlock Rd. down to Hwy 7/The Trans Canada just outside Carleton Place on the way to Ottawa.

Nova Scotia

NS 7/Marine Drive north out of Halifax was very scenic and a decently winding road (have your camera ready).

NS 4 up through Cape Breton winds along the south shore of Bras d'Or Lake - winding road and very scenic as well.

• Member Contributer

Great Roads north of Toronto

From Hockley and River rd an Hour north......to 507, Elephant lake rd and many others further up.

Lots of great suggestions.

Archived