My 1996 Vfr750 Streetfighter

SEBSPEED

I don't remember exactly why, it was either to do with tube size, or reverse drop of the yoke, or maybe a combination.

In any case, I wanted the beefy billet lower so I had it made. One of the very few things I didn't do myself.

Understood. In truth, Honda don't make the best looking bottom yokes. I like the idea of a wide clamp with 3 bolts entering from the rear and hence largely hidden from view. So having a bottom yoke made is an option I have considered.

Can you confirm though the CB1000R uses a 35 mm offset? The VFR is 40mm and the CBR/RVT etc is 30mm IIRC, so the CB1000R is in between? I have no data on that bike (apart from using handlebars and other things on my FireFighter). I wasn't aware it is not the usual 30mm. Or maybe I was and simply forgot. Now where was I...

• 4 weeks later...

Seb, could you explain more about refinishing the engine. You said "soda blast", but was that something you did, or did you take the engine somewhere?

Was all the cleaning and painting done while the engine was complete?

All the cleaning and painting was done with the motor assembled. I did the soda blasting myself, I used a hopper-style blasting gun with grocery store baking soda. I did a thorough clean and degrease before blasting, and washed it a few times more before primer.

I did the soda blasting in my driveway, it washes away easily with water.

• Member Contributer

Man, step away from VFRD for awhile and this is going on. Late to the party but nicely done Seb! Haven't been over to CustomStreetFighters lately either where I'm sure you had a thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks nice.

Man, step away from VFRD for awhile and this is going on. Late to the party but nicely done Seb! Haven't been over to CustomStreetFighters lately either where I'm sure you had a thread.

Thanks Kel :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey Seb, a few questions, maybe others could find them useful.

When you cut the wiring tunnel at the front of the tank, did it actually intrude into the tank, or was it just a lip/stamping that you were cutting? 

And for your rear brake line routing, any thought process on drilling locations in the swingarm for pass-throughs? 

Thanks! 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Good morning. I absolutely love this build, along with the lighter blue build which is why that is my primary choice for a final color, or a gunmetal grey. Regardless, my question is what has everyone had the best luck with in regards to front end swaps, to include upside down forks and clamps? I have the possibility to get my hands on a blown motor and stripped 929 parts bike. Just curious what everyone recommends. By the way, '96 750F for reference

IMG_20170623_202938.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 11/6/2016 at 12:30 AM, CasualSwede said:

Hey Seb, a few questions, maybe others could find them useful.

When you cut the wiring tunnel at the front of the tank, did it actually intrude into the tank, or was it just a lip/stamping that you were cutting? 

And for your rear brake line routing, any thought process on drilling locations in the swingarm for pass-throughs? 

Thanks! 

Sorry for the late response folks...

The cut did penetrate the tank cavity. I actually sliced the tank and rolled the edge over into the tank, then welded it shut. 

On the swingarm - I routed the line through one of the larger forward openings toward the rear, and out the existing drain hole which I opened to a larger size to allow the banjo fitting to pass through. 

On 7/28/2017 at 11:00 AM, Millertime19d said:

Good morning. I absolutely love this build, along with the lighter blue build which is why that is my primary choice for a final color, or a gunmetal grey. Regardless, my question is what has everyone had the best luck with in regards to front end swaps, to include upside down forks and clamps? I have the possibility to get my hands on a blown motor and stripped 929 parts bike. Just curious what everyone recommends. By the way, '96 750F for reference

Hello & thanks, the 929 is a good choice, if i'm not too late to say so.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...