My 1996 Vfr750 Streetfighter

SEBSPEED

Well, it's a tiny tank, 14 litres, no idea in gallons.

In comparison, a ktm 640 motard had an 11 L tank, and a 5th gen Vfr has 21L

They may have done it to keep weight down.

I had my old gsxr 711 down to 190 wet. I didn't realise how porky the Vfr was- that motor is heavy.

Well, it's a tiny tank, 14 litres, no idea in gallons.

In comparison, a ktm 640 motard had an 11 L tank, and a 5th gen Vfr has 21L

They may have done it to keep weight down.

I had my old gsxr 711 down to 190 wet. I didn't realise how porky the Vfr was- that motor is heavy.

You're making me want to go buy scales now so I can get a more accurate number... lol

Roughly 4 liters in a gallon, the VFR's all have similar size tanks, right around 5.8 gallons.

I'm not sure where else I could save weight without making drastic changes. I already have a tiny battery.

Apparently money - and time - was no object. Very nice, though.

Thank you Marc. The whole bike was built on a pretty tight budget. Just about all the parts were in good used condition. I spent a lot of time shopping for good deals.

I did put in an enormous amount of time. This project spanned more than 5 years while I did pretty much all the work you see now. All the sanding, painting, designing, cleaning, wrenching... all me...

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure where else I could save weight without making drastic changes. I already have a tiny battery.

I've come to the same conclusion. I've weighed mine with a bathroom scale (one wheel at a time, add both numbers), and the local department of transport scale, both times I came up with close to 415 lbs dry (no fuel). Which is quite similar to your numbers Seb. Which does represent a 70lb weight savings over stock however!

Lighter wheels, different swingarm… after that it's basically shaving grams from other parts. Although custom headers would probably help me a little…

Bike still looks amazing Seb!!

I've come to the same conclusion. I've weighed mine with a bathroom scale (one wheel at a time, add both numbers), and the local department of transport scale, both times I came up with close to 415 lbs dry (no fuel). Which is quite similar to your numbers Seb. Which does represent a 70lb weight savings over stock however!

Lighter wheels, different swingarm… after that it's basically shaving grams from other parts. Although custom headers would probably help me a little…

Bike still looks amazing Seb!!

So if I subtract 34lb of fuel, I come out with a lighter bike than yours :tongue2: :wink::goofy:

I have to say, the Two Brothers header is very light. I could switch to a carbon can and save bit, drop 15-20lbs switching to a conventional swingarm and wheel... but I like my can and swingarm. It is what it is!

• Like 1

Finally heard back from BikeExif...

"Hi Sebastian

Thanks for your mail, and sorry for only responding nowit's been a little crazy here!

Nice work on the VFR, however we feel it's not quite right for Bike EXIF, so we're going to pass on featuring it.

All the best

Wes"

WTF is that supposed to mean? They can feature shit bomb CB750's and Ducati scramblers, but your bike is not quite right for them? I think Bullshit Hipster Bike Video's is spot on about that website. They like the idea of bikes as art, not bikes.

http://hipsterbikevideos.com/

Just in case you aren't familiar with that site. Lots of fun. Seb, your work is fantastic. Don't read into that email too much.

• Like 5

Seb - simply beautiful. Marvelous machine work, glass and carbon fiber work. You've managed to merge all of the stock bits along with your custom fabricated parts into a GORGEOUS machine. I tip my hat to you, Sir. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Nice work on the VFR, however we feel it's not quite right for Bike EXIF, so we're going to pass on featuring it.

All the best

Wes"

Their loss... I'm a little disappointed they're limiting their niche to the cafe and scrambler scene strictly... A well-done custom bike can transcend these borders. *shrugs*

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

My bike was featured by Worldwide Bomber, a streetfighter/custom bike magazine based in Finland.

The text is the same as the previous feature in Super Streetbike, but they did a nicer job on the pics by presenting it as a magazine layout.

Older issue so no subscription needed to view!

Just click here: http://www.worldwidebombermagazine.com/issues/issue8/#/article/26/page/1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey SEBSPEED, looks like you used CBR1000RR4/5 fork legs, what about the yokes/triple clamps? Top looks like CB1000R, yes? What about the bottom, same? Are your forks at 214mm spacing/width?

Any problems with the rad and tyre clearance with those shorter forks?

Thanks for your confirmation on the fork parts. Why make your own bottom yoke though? Surely you could have used one from a CBR1000RR (or even 929 or 954) or RVT? Not criticising, just wondering if there's any reason and that I should look out for.

Also, what preparation did you perform on the fork outers prior to spraying? Did you sand them down at all and/or use any primer?

I've long wanted to find that colour for forks. Now I have to find a way to obtain that paint in the UK.

The fork colour certainly looks great. I guess I'll find out how fragile.

Regarding the fork offset, surely if the CB1000R has the 35mm you want (as it must be if you use that top yoke), could you not have used the CB1000R bottom yoke also? Was there a reason why that would not fit?