My 1996 Vfr750 Streetfighter

SEBSPEED

All these 100's of hours fiddling with the bike while he could have................. :goofy:

But back on topic, absolute craftsmanship here!!!

While I could have been sitting around drinking whiskey? Heh

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sebastian, you never fail to amaze me... and clearly everyone else. I have said it before. You are truly The Man.

Thank you guys.

I am on vacation next week, staying home this time so I hope to get a few things fixed up and take it for a ride again. Should also have time to look into bikeexif then.

• 2 weeks later...

I will savor the experience for a long, long time. I really enjoy building them, at some point I will have to give some up to make room for new.

I started on the new oil cooler lines today.

Yeah, don't forget to ride the bloody thing :laugh:

PS - I got home too late to get some updated pics for CustomFighters, I'll see how I go during the week.

Chris will like it :fing02:

The only issue with sites like BikeEXIF - and magazines - is that they like to have the 'exclusive', meaning first showing of the bike. See how you go.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see. Getting a bike in a magazine is on my bucket list!

I did start work on the new oil cooler lines last week. Unfortunately, the 90-odd non-returnable dollars I spent on hose and fittings were a bit of a waste, as the fittings I bought are too big for the confines of the front motor area. I changed gears to hard lines and have some other fittings on the way that I hope will work.

I may be able to use the expensive fittings to adapt a larger aftermarket cooler to my CB900, if and when I get back to working on that...

Thank you Terry!

I got a little time to work on the new oil lines tonight.

Previously, I used a hard line with rubber hose at each end = 4 opportunities for leaks. New version cuts that in half and chance of leaks should be reduced to 0 when I factor in the fittings.

I must admit, I used hose at both ends last time because I was rushing a bit and it was faster to use rubber hose to make up for a small mismatch. It took a bit longer to get this tubing bent so it would fit just right and remain right after welding. I joined the (previously modified) factory cooler fitting to the new tube using my tig welder and silicon bronze wire.

Sneak peek:

20150715_202521_zpsuc88iops.jpg

20150715_202354-1_zpsfhbanykj.jpg

The connection on the motor end gets stainless barb fittings, a small section of rubber hose, and hose clamps. This should seal the system and still isolate vibration from the hose joints.

More later. Or tomorrow. Maybe.

Not a peep in return from BikeExif, yet.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The level of your fabrication skills and attention to details, never ceases to amaze Seb. Can I send you my wife's 96 for a few mods. Better yet, could I come visit for a few days (or weeks, OK, months) to learn how to perform some of this work myself.

If only you lived a bit closer, right? I have a lot here, I could dig up some apprentice work for you :biggrin:

Bottom hose is almost done. I again re-modified a factory fitting, this time to add a stainless hose barb. The barbs had a hex shape between the barbs and a section of threads. I cut the threads off and cleaned the rest of the fitting up on the lathe. Then welded it to the factory fitting. On the motor side, same deal with the barb, but welded it to the oil pan fitting.

20150715_205904_zpsiea7ldv3.jpg

20150715_213241_zpscdo7079m.jpg

20150715_213434_zps6aktnazo.jpg

• Member Contributer

A question for you Seb. Recently, my wife and I purchased a 1981 Honda CB400T (I think I may have PM'd you once already come to think of it in regards to replacement shocks) and the engine looks a little oxidized especially around the cooling fins. Any recommendations on how to clean up and restore the areas to new(er) looking. I know you mentioned soda blasting your engine prior to your build. A friend in the same complex as my shop mentioned one of his friends in Vancouver that does something called water blasting that supposedly works wonders. Any thoughts.

i just finished doing some paint work to the CB400 while the wife and kids were out of town but now I think that the upcoming winter season will be replete with some restorative work like having frame and swing arm blasted and powder coated to name but a few and having some of the chrome bits redone. The bike has taken on a bit of a walk down memory lane for me personally as I learned to ride on a similar bike and I have immensely enjoyed riding the CB. It's amazing how much fun a small cc bike, and a vintage one at that, can re-kindle an old flame if you will.

• Member Contributer

Hey Seb, will you marry me?

Umm... what?!?

Terry... did you forget your meds again?!?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Just kidding. You are such a master I'd like to be around you a lot to watch and learn. (It's a poker game regular; "You took all my money so now you have to marry me so I don't starve." or "You are so ugly, I'd marry you out of sympathy". That sort of thing.

But don't worry, you are not my type. Too ugly. :goofy:

The stainless fittings I am using for the oil cooler lines started out looking like this (×4):

20150716_175207-1_zpstfrkss4s.jpg

Here are the finished parts, ready to be installed with new oem o rings:

20150719_102502-1_zpsfautidwj.jpg

I masked & bead blasted the parts before coating them with Quicksilver Phantom Black.