Engine Died

emil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad for you emil for getting a new bike after all i would never have trusted my own bike if this had happened to me so it looks like a good ending even if you were without bike for a while...

• Member Contributer

Well, at least some good news and maybe a happy ending after all. Did they give you any insight in to what failed inside the engine? Possibly any photos?

Just picked up the new one. I don't have exact info about the nature of the engine damage, but as expected, there was a piston seizure, and according to the mech, Honda Ontario's info about the camshaft bearings does fit into the picture.

The new one's motor / gearbox sound is slightly different, especially noticeable when coasting at about 50 km/h in 4th gear. There is a slight humming the other didn't have.

Also, the idle speed wasn't raised as high (1500 instead 1800), and it's easier to start off with it. Does seem to run better from the beginning. Fuel consumption is also lower, 5.0 instead of over 6 in town.

vfrnew.jpg

Had a second ride today. Motor also seems to have more torque than the other copy. And I think one could spot the manufacturing defect through the fuel consumption display function alone, if directly compared.

I'm always astounded how the bike rides corners practically by itself. In spite of my average (at best) riding skills, the chicken strips on the back tire are already almost gone (1-2mm left), after 2 rides now, something I didn't manage to do with the NC in 3 years because it never gave me the same confidence.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived