Engine Died

emil

Yes sure, the dealer had just hoped Honda had already heard of this problem and could speed up the process. Which they can't, so the senior mech will have to find the time to dismantle the engine. Not an easy thing at spring / early summer season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stuff that I would want a new crate engine replacement on such a new bike even if the dealer has to pay for it everything points to them causing the damage in the first place

I mean if ittakes 15- 20 hours of mechanics time to find the problem and the associated parts costings

Time to go see a lawyer

Well, relax. I'm already paying lawyers on several issues that piss me off. This is not one of them, not yet.

I want the bike back with an repaired engine, I don't care all that much if it was replaced or not. I *am* going to test the repaired one on the Autobahn, and if it is not "full throttle proof", as we say, I will quickly find out.

I would have thought that if this is a first for Honda then they would want to investigate it for themselves, and also give you a new or equivalent bike to ensure good customer relations, rather than leave it up to a possibly inept mechanic that may have caused the issue in the first place.

Call me naive.

It would be nice if it was that way, but while the main company in Japan is known for such actions, the local subsidiaries aren't.

In the domestic NC forum, we had someone with a damaged DCT (same part as the regular gearbox) shortly after the warranty period. No goodwill.. they leave this to the dealers here, who write down less working hours than they actually worked on the bike, etc.

Hey there guys.

Saw this post and it spurred me to jump in. This is my first post on this forum and wish it was under better terms. I too have had a similar situation.

Last year at 1,127km (+/- 100km after my first 1,000km service) I apparently had a crank shaft bearing failure on my new 2014 VFR800 DLX.

I work in B.C. on Vancouver Island and unfortunately the timing couldn´t have been worse....effective I lost the rest of the riding season last year. Brought the rig at a Power Honda dealership but in a different town so I thought I´d extend my business to a local bike shop (certified to work on Honda). Brought the bike back to them because initially I thought this had something to do with the recent 1,000km service. Long story short according to Honda Customer Service in Ontario it was a crank shaft bear failure. Seems odd it took that long to fail if it was the wrong size which is what I was told. Took forever to troubleshoot and repair (+6 weeks). All Honda did to comp me was bump me up to Honda Plus and a $250 service credit.

Fast forward to now. One week before I am about to take my MST (2nd to last step to obtain BC license) and go to my first performance school/track days at the Ridge in Washington an electrical gremlin has now arisen! The motor would cut off whilst in neutral idling with the kickstand down. Then it would off if I leaned the bike as if to put it on the kickstand. No dash indicators and bike fired right back up. Buddy a mine thought it was the kickstand proximity switch....so we cleaned it and at that time could not reproduce the failure. Rip to end of the road and nothing. 2nd day out tried to replicate before hitting the road but all good. Then headed out to practiced for my MST and boom same thing...throw the kickstand whilst in neutral out and it kills the engine. Checked the fuses....all good. Check the battery connection...all good. THEN on my return trip to the house and the gear indicator would not indicate the gear I was in. It only had a blinking horizontal line. Checked the owners manual on that blinking line and nothing. Got home...threw the kickstand and all over again it killed the engine. THIS time i tried to restart and the started didn´t have enough umff to turn over the engine. Waited about 5 minutes as I reviewed the technique to try and turn the engine over after it wouldn´t...and it fired right back up and I could see my gear again. WTH!?!?!?! Got less than 6 days before the track and this crap. Seriously though it concerns me. So far the engine hasn´t died while riding, but what if it does when I´m going 200kph??

Other than taking it back to the dealer I bought it from to hook up to the computer (which I don´t have enough time for before this coming weekend for the track trip) any suggestions???

This is my 2nd VFR...1st was a 1996 VFR 750 which never had one problem...to this extreme. I am soo damn disappointed with Honda and this bike. Tempted to sell it and get a BMW 1200 RS.

Thanks!

Sounds like a problem with the gear position switch on the shifter sending incorrect info to the ecu. It's close enough to keep the position indicator working most of the time, but not enough to recognize neutral for the kickstand every time.

• photo-thumb-20863.jpg?_r=1429832674
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 136 posts
  • In My Garage::2014 VFR800FD-red

2007 VFR800ABS-Sold

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Posted Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Sounds like a problem with the gear position switch on the shifter sending incorrect info to the ecu. It's close enough to keep the position indicator working most of the time, but not enough to recognize neutral for the kickstand every time.

Thanks for the tip. I hope to get it on the computer today. I'll flag that with the tech as an option.

@emil

Could be but I doubt it. When I came out of 6th gear I could hear something odd, but before I did I was giving it and could tell something was off because I could feel I just didn´t have the top end. I downshifted and the noise was more pronounced.....down again and again...popped my visor and there was no doubt. I pulled over and while burping the throttle I could hear a horrible clanking sound coming from the engine... At first i thought the a header bolt was working loose, but it was obvious that it was getting progressively worse. I rolled down the hill about 2km to the near fuel station and I knew I had a MAJOR problem.

Took it back to the place that did the recent 1,000km service and the disaster unfolded further.......+6 week for Honda.ca and this local shop to repair.

Regarding my new electrical problem...they hooked up the computer and ran the codes. Initial indications are a bad ECU!! With only 3,300km after the BS with the crank shaft bearing.....unfreakin believable. I will most likely miss my Motorcycle Skills Test this Thursday (for a 3rd time due to my VFR break downs) and miss my already paid performance school this coming weekend at The Ridge in Washington!

Gotta love it.

Good luck

I just talked to the senior mechanic, guess what. Bearing failure. What's the info you got on this - they inserted incorrectly sized bearings?

Im glad they found the problem but i am also sad that there seems to be less quality in the vfr and honda in general ... :( i hope they do a good job and that you get your bike back asap

Hey guys.

Okay here´s an update:

Regarding my gremlin electrical issue. The local shop hooked it up and scanned some codes and tried to clear them. Ultimately it pointed to a failed ECM. Here´s the beauty Honda.ca (Canada) states no ECM´s are in stock. In fact they are back ordered and won´t arrive until the end of July! Unreal. One quick phone call to a shop in Los Angeles and bam....they have 45 in stock and can have me an ECM in 3 days up to BC. Gets even better....Honda.ca wants to keep my bike to ¨run more tests¨. BS I told them. I needed my bike back to take my MST exam for today (which I can thankfully say I passed with no faults. Woohoo!) and that I needed it to go to The Ridge in Washington this weekend (prepaid school..no refunds). So they put it back together then took it out for a rip for about 30km. Ran perfectly fine. No issues with gear indicator or killing the engine with the kickstand in neutral. I kept my fingers crossed...took er out...practiced one last time for the MST with no event. Went out today, passed the MST, and took a celebratory rip so far with no problem. Early indications are that there must have been a loose connection somewhere in the wiring harness after they reassembled the bike for the crank shaft bearing fiasco. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If I make it back from the track with zero issues then I will assume it has been resolved. Wish me luck.

Privateer>What kind of information are you after regarding the crank shaft bearing failure? I can scan and email you the what I have from Honda.ca but I don´t recall that it contained a lot of detail. Let me know and I will try to accommodate you. I feel for you pard...been there. Sorry to hear I am not the only one. It´s a shame really as for me this has really changed my view of Honda. I hope they make it right for you.

See ya guys.

@DiscoStu

I guess you meant me (nick is "emil" ;) ).. well, I'd like to know if it was a material fault or if Honda really received incorrectly sized parts or something like that. Just curious about it. And it might help me with claims I might come up with here. I'm also worried about getting another engine or exchanged bike with the same fault.

@dogman

Castrol GPS four-stroke 10W40

• Member Contributer

. I'm also worried about getting another engine or exchanged bike with the same fault.

You are right to be careful....

Shortly after its introduction, I got a VW Tiguan 1.4tsi (company car); that car was in and out the garage on a regular basis.

spark plugs, spark plugs, ignitions coils, on and on. I t was paid for (company car) but still felt worn.

A mechanic who wanted to share some data/picture with me nearly got fired by his boss (VW Privileged Info).

Incomplete combustion was whispered but never confirmed.

"you should rev that engine more" was the dealers advise.. I thought they were trying to trick me in confessing to that so they could pass the blame.. but they were serious...

(so that put that theory out of the window because <claiming my 5th amendment rights...> :goofy:

After 80,000km and prior to a looong summer holiday trip touring Europe, I had enough and finally got them to open up the engine. well, they were glad I insisted for the engine was close to demise.

During that time they gave me a very powerful Volvo V70, so touring EU was fun...

Battle ensued between the lease company/importer and VW; it ended with the lease company fitting a used engine with 60,000km under its belt

I was told, "if that one fails we will fit another engine again"

At around 80,000, it did. But by that time the 4,5yr lease was up.

You are documenting all, that is good, but also try and get/read what the warranty document specifies under a microscope

Donot get emontinal, stay factual because that is all there is, a contractual agreement with clauses...

Sad but true..

-Metallica- :goofy:

Latest news: Honda will not exchange the motor or the bike. They expect the dealer's mechanic to troubleshoot the engine and order spare parts.

So far, so bad!

• Member Contributer

What? That thing isn't fixed and back on the road yet? Geeez! Sorry to hear. But yes you should be somewhat compensated for not being back on the road yet.

C

They would give me an NC for a weekend, lol. I already own one..

The engine has been dismantled and the damage identified. It might be ready late next week.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your bike. Hard to believe the engine failed after so few miles ... and after you waited so long to get it since you really wanted a vfr. Hope its reliable from here on out for you.

Turns out Honda couldn't deliver the parts before the winter. Note that laws here permit cancelation of the purchase if the repair takes more than a "reasonable time", which courts have decided to be about one month.

Here's what will happen, according to my dealer:
I will get a new RC79 next week. The dealer will be reimbursed for the depriciation by Honda, who will also cover the cost of unregistering the old vehicle and registering the new one (about a hundred €).

In addition, I will get the quickshifter for free, I'll only have to pay for its installation.

There might be a happy ending after all..

• Member Contributer

I will get a new RC79 next week. The dealer will be reimbursed for the depriciation by Honda, who will also cover the cost of unregistering the old vehicle and registering the new one (about a hundred €).

In addition, I will get the quickshifter for free, I'll only have to pay for its installation.

There might be a happy ending after all..

I hate the dance! Manufacturers vs. Dealerships and the buyer is stuck in the middle and in some situations loses out. I'm very happy to hear your deal may work out but the stress level drives me crazy sometimes. I hope to see a pic of your new RC79 >>>SOON!<<<

Archived