Cylinder Head Oiling Modification

mr2racer

Allyance,

This problem gets more depressing with each passing hour. Is the problem between the match of the cam hold downs and the head? Or between those parts and the cams?

If the components are unmatched then the original positions of the cam holders would be irrelevant. It might make sense to plastiguage the cams to look for a too tight fit. I was a Honda bike tech in the mid 80's and worked on a number of these engines. We would cup the feeler gauges and adjust the clearance so you had to really push the feeler gauge to get it to move between the adjuster and the valve stem. The manual lists the oil clearence so I think plastigauge would be a good place to start

I found the oiling diagram in my Honda factory shop manual. I also found the procedure for testing oil pressure. As usual oil pressure is tested at the port for the oil pressure switch. Spec is 77 PSI +/- 10 PSI at the port at 5000 RPM. When I spoke to David Dodge on Saturday he told me the port was 'metered'. I can only assume that it is because this point is after the main bearings. Still, even on the low side at 67 PSI that should be more than enough pressure to supply the heads. (Has anyone ever measured the oil pressure at the transmission port Honda used?) Also, the 5 - 7 PSI switch point on this switch seems very low to me? Since it is just a 12 volt switch I think it would be a better option to use one in the 12 - 15 PSI range. I still think this oil port is a better place to suply the heads from.

I'm going to plastigauge the bearing surface for the cams tonight.

• Like 1