I Took A Skills Class

BRad704

A friend invited me to the local harley shop for a Skills Class tonight. So it was me and about 25 Hogs. :)

Had a great time.

Learned some good low speed control.

And saw make improvement in myself.

Pics below but I got lots of video, just need to compile.

fba9cde4831ee2f88c98f3b2708056dd.jpg

9b170c44d339d7f943e2a388f73415bd.jpg

895983a38c72607cbd74c6290eef8d02.jpg

bf25201dd841fb17a87cd58e24383d01.jpg

1481040ed24a288ad8763302f0824548.jpg

330a16dc8f634d773a671ac64efe284e.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a great idea. Quite a contrast between a RWB 3rd gen (great looking by the way!) and a bunch of Hogs!

Thanks. She's got many hours of labor and love to get to this point.

It was almost comical. The guy leading kept making references back to the sport bike that's here tonight. And he had an RC51 in the past, so he's not shut off to other bikes besides HD. Although he and his wife both have AMAZING AirGlides.

Well, the tail trunk helped you fit in hopefully.

You're already a minority as a rider, now you're a minority of a minority. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

During the last Experienced Rider course I took, the instructor kept berating me for only using two fingers on the front brake lever. He kept saying that might work for putzing around town but "You'll need to grab that lever with all four fingers in an emergency". He has clearly never ridden a modern sport bike. I'm quiet certain that two fingers work just fine!

Two finger stop

Was this a basic safety class or was it advanced? I only ask because I am shocked at the number of cruisers. Every person I know that rides or wants a cruiser has no care or concern about skills. They say "I'll just be cruising, I don't need any of that."

Oh, your bike looks great!

This wasn't a safety class at all. It was a "how to weave around the right little cones without putting your feet down". :)

And it was at the local harley dealer for free.

The attractive lady is wife of the shop GM and seriously knows how to throw around a bike.

]

During the last Experienced Rider course I took, the instructor kept berating me for only using two fingers on the front brake lever. He kept saying that might work for putzing around town but "You'll need to grab that lever with all four fingers in an emergency". He has clearly never ridden a modern sport bike. I'm quiet certain that two fingers work just fine!

I would like to suggest that the instructor was a moron of the highest order! I only use two fingers on the front brake lever, whether at a track day (I can show you on bike video of the thing almost locked up and chattering while I'm on the brakes with two fingers) or on my 1200 on the road. As an aside, Marc Marquez uses one finger and has a lever that is so short he can only use one finger! Does this instructor ride a bike with push rod brakes? :laugh:

I once took an advance class where the bikes used were Harley Davidson Electra Glides. The instructors in the course preached the same thing, all four fingers on the front brake at all times. On the HD I would concur, you needed four to stop the thing. Maybe your instructor came from that type of school.

I have had three sport bikes now, a CBR600, a Ninja 1000 and my new Intrceptor, and regarding today's sport bikes, I totally agree with you, two fingers in plenty.

Been in a similar situation and foolishly said; My middle finger is there for backup. I should have been more cognizant of where I was. The only sport bike ('93 Guzzi Daytona), of 63 HD's. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

I cover the front brake with two while commuting. On trackdays I use my whole hand...much more control and sensitivity. It works for Rossi. that said, Nicky uses two fingers only...to each his own.

Matt

Archived