6Th Gen Fork Conversion

Tarrant

So I did something silly today whilst I was bored at work. I won a bid on a set of 2008 Hayabusa forks. Plan is to do a front end swap to as much "Busa stuff as possible to keep everything happy.Triples (theyuse the same bottom bearings, top might be an issue as they're smaller) axle, wheels, spacers, brakes (might change to another type of radial, depends on what I can find)

Progress will be slow going and assisted by my mechanic, mostly because i'll be clueless about most stuff, and partially because he enjoys doing stuff like this.

post-26676-0-30324800-1430668494.jpg

Searching the internet yeilded this, I'm not sure how accurate this is but it'll be my shining light that hopefully everything goes together semi easily. I'll keep this thread updated as I gather bits and pieces, and as always advice would be welcomed!

So the forks turned up today, I kinda took a gamble on these ones as the pictures weren't very clear and the auction on eBay was due to end 5m after I ordered them. Please to say that they are in pretty fair shape. There's a couple of knicks on hte fork legs but the tubes are pretty much flawless with all the chrome intact.

Before I shuffled them out to the shed I took a quick measurement and came up at 725mm from the top of the fork to the approximate middle of the axle hole, which is a fair bit shorter than the usual conversions (RC51, R1, 954 etc) so if need be I found a mob in Australia who makes fork extenders for GSXR/Busa forks at an eye watering cost of $440/pair. That will be a last resort if I can't get the length I need

Next on the shopping list is a set of triples (which is a whole new level of annoying) and calipers/master cylinder.

• 5 weeks later...

Damn has it been a month already? Time flies when you're bargain hunting.

Recently accquired is a front wheel, lower triple and stem. Also en route to me is pretty much everything else I need (top triple, calipers and master cylinder) with an axle and stem nut coming next week, too, along with all assorted bolts, spacers and washers. Quick measurements in the lower triple show the stem length at 219mm, with 50mm of threaded area on top. Getting a bit nervous that this might not be enough so if it comes down to it I'll have to see if i can press the VFR stem in.

The lower triple has mounting points for the steering damper which i havent ordered and honestly don't think I'll need, so the tab might get taken off for clearances or such. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Top triple (both parts, very stupid design by Suzuki) calipers, lines, front master cylinder and brake discs arrived a couple of days ago.

Just took the top triple out to my fully intact bike and kind of lined it up where it needs to go. First thought is 'hmm these bars are going to be a problem'. The Hayabusa triple clamp is a 2 piece dealy, the "bottom" of the clamp is the actual triple, and rather ugly. The "top" piece is just really a cover plate into which the handlebars slide. The bars are in a fixed position, so if they foul on the fairing (which I am starting to suspect they will) I may have to order a set of risers to pull them back a bit.

My Mechanic picked up a front guard for me with all the mounting hardware for $100, but I might ask him nicely to sell it off, as a front guard from the '03 GSXR1000 will bolt straight up with no modifications. Now all I need to do is get the wheel and steering bearings, and some other odds and end and it'll be time to see if my madness will actually fit!

Due to the length of your forks you will have to mount the clipons bellow top triple like the convertibars in most cases, or do the top triple motocross type bar conversion. Just as a rule of thumb for you as have done many a conversion 6th gen, from bottom of frame were steering head bearing is too center of axle you want about 510mm of fork length.

The handlebar mount is part of the top plate of the triple clamp.

post-26676-0-88233800-1434599914.jpg

So I was hoping to get a set of Heli risers that lift them up higher and pull them back a bit aswell. Unfortunately as this bike is my daily I can't pull it down to see exactly how much clearance I'll need, or wether Helibars even offer the amount that will be needed.

Those bars will simply be to low for the vfr you can simply see that by placing that mounting plate over your existing vfr triple. Due to your new forks length you also wont have enough tube to mount clipons above triple clamp. You also wont get enough rise or adjustment with helibars when mounted under top triple, you have to use a clipon system like convertibars or the mx type bar conversion.

Roy, unsure wether this will be accurate as the forks and stuff are not yet installed but I measured fromt he centre of the axle to where the bottom bearing will sit on the stem and got just over 510mm, taking into account the dodgy old measuring tape I was using. I have a fair bit of my forks through the triple clamp at the moment *measured from the actual top of the triple to the adjuster on the fork* and measured 60mm, so I think you will be right about the bars on this triple.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if the sizing is the same, but a lot of Suzi stuff is mix and match.

I used a top bearing for a Yamaha srx 400 when I fitted my 05 gsxr front end to my 5 th gen.

Ok, bit of progress so far. The front end is pulled down, and are awaiting a bearing. Need a 47x30×16 is the size we need but can only find 47x30x12. I remember someone on here shimmed theirs up with a circlip (for the life of me I can't remember whom) so that's the path we're undertaking now. The bottom ebaring is exactly the same as the VFR's so that's all good. Will update when the bering comes in and we can get down to the nitty gritty.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, holy crap, it's almost been a month. We have the bearing! Front end is knocked together with the 'Busa triples. I bought Helibars because I thought I might need a bit more clearance, and I was right. In all honesty I need a tiny bit more clearance than the helis give (another 1/2 inch up and back to be comfortable) as currently at full left lock the throttle cables are pressing against the infill panel.

Stupid me bought a front guard for what appears to be an 07 busa, and not 08 as I needed... so it doesn'f it. However I'm chasing down a guard from an 04-05 GSXR 600/750/1k which bolts straight up to the gen 2 forks.