Must Have Mods

50 minutes ago, Skids said:

helli....where did you mount the horn and pump? They're not small and there's not much room under the front fairings.

I put the compressor just under the front of the tank, ahead of the airbox and on top of it. Snorkle was already out, and there's just enough room for it to sit there.

The horn is directly left, under the left side fairing. If i remember right, it's bolted with or near a solenoid or similar there-abouts.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks.

I use my horn a fair bit on my daily 100-mile commute, mainly to warn drivers I'm there but I get the feeling that sometimes they haven't heard it so a louder one may be the way forward.

• Member Contributer

The PO of my bike mounted a Stebel Nautilus Compact under the left upper fairing using a short metal bracket.  I suppose it would be even louder if it were mounted the other way around, but it still works very well, so I have not moved it.

P1000918x.JPG

P1000922x.JPG

P1000930x.JPG

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys.

helli....any chance of pics of yours too? I tried to mount a Stebel on my Fi and couldn't find a suitable place to mount it where it didn't strike the front mudguard under heavy braking.

6 hours ago, Skids said:

Thanks guys.

helli....any chance of pics of yours too? I tried to mount a Stebel on my Fi and couldn't find a suitable place to mount it where it didn't strike the front mudguard under heavy braking.

Yeah, but it'll have to be next time it's on a bench at the workshop. Probably this Tuesday when i replace the low beam relay.

I'll also show you the placement of the compressor.

Wow, what a thread topic,  can't help wonder by now what Silverbullet has done. I didn't read all the posts,  was there ever a mention of the toro charger?     

• 2 weeks later...

My bike came with heated grips (which I'd never had before), and I'm now on my third pair in 12 or so years. Thought they were for pussies until I first turned them on!

First thing I fitted myself was an Evo Star Factory Pro shifter kit, as the other 7 Hondas I'd owned all had crap gearchanges, whereas this one's still good.

A surprising mod was the fitting of a Pentium cooler fan to the R/R; the bike is still on its original 15 year old R/R, after my previous two bikes (91 VFR750 and VTR1000 eating theirs. I'm sure it's down to heat.
The MotoBatt battery has been in the bike so long now (10 years??), I can't remember when I fitted it, but it's still as good (according to the voltmeter/ammeter testing) as when fitted.
The garage door opener button on the right switch block has been brilliant! I took it out recently because I'm about to sell the bike, and I miss it heaps!

The Blue Sea fuse block thing under the seat was a good way of tidying up the electrics, but I  think I could manage fine without it.
When I bought the bike, I insisted it have a Ventura packrack fitted. While it's had some use, I've found the cheap magnetic tankbag more indispensible, as it took my wet-weather gear, a few essentials and my lunch to work and back every day. Unfortunately, on a 3-day trip to the Far North of Noo Zilund, it also sucked up lots of metallic grit from the unsealed roads, so my paintwork on the tank is borkt.

Most expensive (but not regretted) mod was getting the suspension overhauled (some of it twice), which cost me over $2k.
Cheapest (and most invisible) mod was a lump of lead I melted into the left footpeg - vibes disappeared.
Best commuting mod: lower temp fan switch and manual override. Second best: twin Fiamm horns for waking up dozy drivers!
I broke the taillight, so installed a Thurn LED taillight and front indicators; love the look!

Most crap fitting: a hugger I bought from some guy on VFRD. Still on, works OK, but it's not great. I think the rubber flap it replaced was better. :(

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer
On 27/04/2015 at 3:34 AM, gig said:

* I feel are my must haves.

CBR1000 Alloy Kickstand and kill-switch -1.0

Gig, can you give more info on this? Will it withstand a bit of abuse or is it a bit fragile (I sometimes spin the bike round 180* on the side/kick stand)? Plug and play or needs modification? Which years?

I’m very interested. 

Thanks in advance, 

Stray 

• Member Contributer

i used a 2015 cbr1000 stand, you have too enlarge the vfr bracket hole to accept the cbr mounting bolt. I would not spin the bike on it  

• Member Contributer
On 06/03/2018 at 2:03 AM, gig said:

i used a 2015 cbr1000 stand, you have too enlarge the vfr bracket hole to accept the cbr mounting bolt. I would not spin the bike on it  

Big thanks! 

• Member Contributer

I fitted one of those Stiebel Nautilus integrated twin horn units at 45degrees below/in front of the starter motor. It keeps the weight low & that's just dead space down there !

I also fitted a CBR1000 side stand, but made a bracket so I could use the CBR stand mounting bracket, works a treat & having survived being strapped down on it on a Ferry for 24hrs, I don't worry about it now.

I suspect my 5th Gen has the bulk of mods mentioned here (most courtesy of AB, who was the PO from new).

I'll probably miss a few, but my '99 has all of:

SP2 front end (now with SP1 front wheel for road use, with a spare SP2 wheel/original 5th-gen rear for track)

Convertibars (I think) from a 929(?)

heated grips

C/F front guard

hugger

Ohlins in the rear

PC2

8-spoke RC36 rear wheel (road)

road wheels powder coated in gold

zero grav screen

stock seat re-profiled at rear to allow fitment of grab rails over ventura rack

OEM ('99) headers ceramic coated

Custom-built oval hi-mount slip on

separate, fused power board fitted (so as to allow easy addition of powered bits such as USB connectors etc.)

mosfet-style Reg/Rec. fitted (have two OEM-style new ones as spares). Active cooling added (just 'cos I could).

VFRNess

VTR fan blade mod.

Radiators "blacked out" (using black Security screen mesh)

Server fan added to RHS radiator

Volt meter on dash

Acumen gear indicator

Braided brake lines (front)

K&N air filter

PAIR valve removal/block off.

Y2K mirrors.

Aftermarket (Stebel?) horns x2

I think that's about it...

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On March 8, 2018 at 5:51 PM, EX-XX said:

I suspect my 5th Gen has the bulk of mods mentioned here (most courtesy of AB, who was the PO from new).

I'll probably miss a few, but my '99 has all of:

SP2 front end (now with SP1 front wheel for road use, with a spare SP2 wheel/original 5th-gen rear for track)

Convertibars (I think) from a 929(?)

heated grips

C/F front guard

hugger

Ohlins in the rear

PC2

8-spoke RC36 rear wheel (road)

road wheels powder coated in gold

zero grav screen

stock seat re-profiled at rear to allow fitment of grab rails over ventura rack

OEM ('99) headers ceramic coated

Custom-built oval hi-mount slip on

separate, fused power board fitted (so as to allow easy addition of powered bits such as USB connectors etc.)

mosfet-style Reg/Rec. fitted (have two OEM-style new ones as spares). Active cooling added (just 'cos I could).

VFRNess

VTR fan blade mod.

Radiators "blacked out" (using black Security screen mesh)

Server fan added to RHS radiator

Volt meter on dash

Acumen gear indicator

Braided brake lines (front)

K&N air filter

PAIR valve removal/block off.

Y2K mirrors.

Aftermarket (Stebel?) horns x2

I think that's about it...

It is only talk/words without Pic's...

On 6/9/2018 at 7:15 AM, gig said:

It is only talk/words without Pic's...

All too true.

Here's one pic of the 'bike. At least "some" of the stated mods should be visible to the naked eye...

(I'll post some others when I have access to my own computer later...and now a few more pics, now I'm home).

VFR800.jpg

WP_20180217_12_14_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20180217_12_15_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20180217_12_15_38_Pro.jpg

Archived