CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

I'm buying a hugger for my bike that does not have the fasteners with it. Does anyone happen to know if there is anything special about them? Particularly the ones that attach it to the metal support bracket.

• Member Contributer

A picture would help to show what metla support bracket you mean.

as for bolts, you must make sure they are not too long as not to interfere/touch chain/rim/tire. Just grab the nyloc nut.

I sorted out my own; modified the one that attached to the chain guard, and made an aluminium bracket for the front of the hugger. Nowhere to attach that, so I drilled and tapped a hole in the swingarm :o and put a bolt in.

Of course, because this mod was unsanctioned/unapproved by Honda or VFRD, the first time I rode it, I crasheded, dieded, and immolation of the self-incendiary variety occurred. Luckily, I'm getting used to that, so my asbestos g-string stopped my nuts from being overcooked.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

as for bolts, you must make sure they are not too long as not to interfere/touch chain/rim/tire. Just grab the nyloc nut.

Here is a pic provided by the seller.

post-14663-0-90903700-1429797474.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd hazard a guess and say that you need to drill 2 holes in the existing chain guard.

That the carbon fibre's horizontal bit (that will go on top op your chain guard (with the metal strip in between) already has 2 holes drilled.

as I said, make sure the bolts sticking trough (top down) are long enough to grip the nut+washer underneath

The curved metal strip will fit underneath the cf curved bit.

Here my home made version from a messed up cf hugger with a metal chainguard...

IMAG2709_zps285d0754.jpg

Or contact the seller!! :goofy:

Here is a pic provided by the seller.

attachicon.gifmsg-12483-0-22411400-1429759923.jpg

The flat part goes between the rubber chain guide and the swing arm underneath the swingarm the tab sits on top of the swingarm in front of the rear wheel and the curved part attaches to the hugger. You will have to pay with the curved part to get the hugger to sit right

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I think I should have included these other pics...sorry about that.

post-14663-0-69274700-1429809860.jpg

post-14663-0-81044200-1429809889.jpg

• Member Contributer

The flat part goes between the rubber chain guide and the swing arm underneath the swingarm the tab sits on top of the swingarm in front of the rear wheel and the curved part attaches to the hugger. You will have to pay with the curved part to get the hugger to sit right

Thanks for the detailed description. I can picture it in my mind.

Do you happen to know if I can expect to be able to still use the existing bolts on the bottom of the swing arm? Or might they be too short?

• Member Contributer

I am the seller. Just pm'd you with some install info.the top bolts should be only long enough to use the threads in the bracket. Not stick out at all. Pan head and washer type. I think i would use some silicone glue to seal around the base of the hugger to the swing arm. Its a pretty light weight plastic and not carbon fiber. There may be a better modification for mounting it if you do a search.

• Member Contributer

I PM'd ya back.

Was just looking to get more input here w/o buggin' with alot of questions.

The reason for the glue would be for extra support...true?

• Member Contributer

I sorted out my own; modified the one that attached to the chain guard, and made an aluminium bracket for the front of the hugger. Nowhere to attach that, so I drilled and tapped a hole in the swingarm :o and put a bolt in.

Of course, because this mod was unsanctioned/unapproved by Honda or VFRD, the first time I rode it, I crasheded, dieded, and immolation of the self-incendiary variety occurred. Luckily, I'm getting used to that, so my asbestos g-string stopped my nuts from being overcooked.

That is some seriously funny stuff right there. I remember I was not a fan of how mine fit but had thought of possibly reinstalling it by some similar method to yours. But then I bought a CBR954rr (sold) which begat an Aprilia Tuono (sold) which begat my my current RC51 stable mate to my trusty 5th gen VFR. Also adding an FZ1 to the stable soon to give my 116,000 mile V4 some extra down time to be pampered a bit more.

Here is the link to his modification. For some reason the photos are no longer linked to the thread. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/57889-making-a-powerbronze-hugger-work/?hl=%20rear%20%20hugger

Maybe the NZ fabricator can forward you a few of his pictures. I think some two sided tape between the two chain guard bodies and some heavy beads of silicone glue around the base of the hugger to the swing arm and some small aluminum angle slot cut around the base (to allow for bending to match contour of the hugger base) and tap a few bolts into the top of the swing arm might be a simple solution. I was never a fan of the designed metal bracket mounting. The aluminum angle strips can be bought cheaply at a home depot or hardware store. I liked the heating and molding and trimming idea too in order to get the most effective an appealing shape.

This is hte powerbronze CF look hugger, right? I have one of these, tomorrow i'll have a dig around and see if I can find them for you. I recall they also gave bolt sizes, so if you need to replace them it'll help :)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

This is hte powerbronze CF look hugger, right? I have one of these, tomorrow i'll have a dig around and see if I can find them for you. I recall they also gave bolt sizes, so if you need to replace them it'll help :)

That would sure make things abit easier for me.

This is the hugger it is. http://www.nicecycle.com/Honda-Sportbike-Parts-p/pb58.htm?vfsku=PB58&gpla=pla&Click=7183&gclid=CO7SzpWYi8QCFcWUfgodokMAxg

• Member Contributer

That is some seriously funny stuff right there. I remember I was not a fan of how mine fit but had thought of possibly reinstalling it by some similar method to yours. But then I bought a CBR954rr (sold) which begat an Aprilia Tuono (sold) which begat my my current RC51 stable mate to my trusty 5th gen VFR. Also adding an FZ1 to the stable soon to give my 116,000 mile V4 some extra down time to be pampered a bit more.

Here is the link to his modification. For some reason the photos are no longer linked to the thread. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/57889-making-a-powerbronze-hugger-work/?hl=%20rear%20%20hugger

Maybe the NZ fabricator can forward you a few of his pictures. I think some two sided tape between the two chain guard bodies and some heavy beads of silicone glue around the base of the hugger to the swing arm and some small aluminum angle slot cut around the base (to allow for bending to match contour of the hugger base) and tap a few bolts into the top of the swing arm might be a simple solution. I was never a fan of the designed metal bracket mounting. The aluminum angle strips can be bought cheaply at a home depot or hardware store. I liked the heating and molding and trimming idea too in order to get the most effective an appealing shape.

Holy smokes! That's anything but simple for me.

Hopefully I can just get her mounted whatever the way is that the mfg intended & not end up like enzed did. He's got me worried. That's some very scary stuff he experience.

• Member Contributer

Received my hugger yesterday. It looks good. I gave it & the bracket a bath & polish to give it that super smooth feeling. Also gave it a trial fit & it seems all nice-nice. Just have to get 2 bolts from the local hardware store & should be good to go.

Are the nuts that are made onto the bracket threaded thru all the way like nuts typically are? When I thread a bolt into them, it stops as if the threads don't match but I'm pretty sure they do.

It took my Buddy less then 5 minutes to take ownership of the box. :rolleyes:

post-14663-0-16190700-1430914038.jpg

• Member Contributer

I mounted my hugger today & noticed that it does not cover the full width of the tire on the right side except close to the swingarm. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Here's a pic.

post-14663-0-97038300-1431049356.jpg

• Member Contributer

What are the advantages of the hugger, my last 5th gen had one, this one doesn't, just wondering is it worth the expense and hassle of fitting one,I might get the fender extender.

• Member Contributer

Mainly it keeps all the stuff the tire picks up from being thrown onto the rear shock. I like the looks of them on bikes.

Basically it does the same thing as a fender extender. I'm considering getting one also. But it seems like they aren't long enough to provide complete protection.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I don't have another to compare it to but I believe it is the shape it is suppose to be. The 4 holes line up & it seems to hook onto the swingarm properly. But it does seem odd to me that it doesn't cover the full width of the tire.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

• Member Contributer

I mounted my hugger today & noticed that it does not cover the full width of the tire on the right side except close to the swingarm. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

Here's a pic.

attachicon.gifIMG_6643.JPG

Could someone please tell me if this is ok or not?