Tyre Advice

mikmcd

I have q3s front and rear and love them. Previously I had a Q3 front and roadsmart2 rear and that is OK but it is much better with front and rear Q3 although the trade off will be mileage, but its worth it in my opinion.

The pic is Q3 at 2000Kms

post-14995-0-17933800-1443954716.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's fine, and in a pure sportbike like my 600RR that's just what I run, but on my VFR I would personally go through a Q3 rear every 4-6 weeks during peak season- I once got just 2000 mi from a Q2 rear on my 6th gen.

The RS2 balances grip and longevity very well. The Q3 front and RS2 rear lasted the entire peak season, from June to the end of August.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just put on a set of metzeler sportec m7 rr tires and after a few hundred miles can say that they have a great feel to them. They seem to make my already very nimble bike (D675) even easier to roll from left to right when going through twisty roads. Hasn't rained here since I installed them so can't comment but they were designed for decent rain use and cooler weather. My reference for their feel is my previous tires that were pirelli supercorsa sp and I definitely like the feel of these better---ymmv

• Member Contributer

In a prior post I mentioned that the PR4s might want to stand a little more in bumpy corners than the stock rubber did. I did mention that could be a suspension setup issue though.

A new data point I'd like to add is that the PR4s also get much more "tippy" when pressures are a couple of pounds low, and make the rider need to fight to keep the bike from dropping inside in curves.

They're not doing too bad but I won't get the 10-11,000 I had from PR3s on the 6th gen. Taken today, 6732 miles since they went on. Still good in the wet, a bit slithery in the damp and greasy which is what we seem to be getting more of in Essex at the moment.

post-13632-0-17428800-1445191987.jpg

post-13632-0-01427600-1445192000.jpg

• Member Contributer

Fook ,they look almost brand new compared to my pr3s with less than 1/3 of the mileage on them. Mind you I do live in a less

populuated area

• Member Contributer

Fook ,they look almost brand new compared to my pr3s with less than 1/3 of the mileage on them. Mind you I do live in a less

populuated area

You can't really compare mileage on tires not ridden by the same rider or at the very least ridden on the same roads.

Road construction (and therefore propensity for tire wear) varies greatly even within the same region.

What you can do is look at the mileage that someone who documents their tire pressure and tire changes gets between differing tire models/brands and get a feel for one tire lasting 20% longer than another for example.

I changed my rear PR 4 at 4000 miles, It was down to the centre wear indicator. The front is beginning to feel a bit vague now, so that is getting changed (5000 miles on it)

• 2 weeks later...

Has any body tried the new version of the T30s the Bridgestone T30 "EVO" ?

Yes, had some fitted yesterday. All good so far but New Rubber Syndrome not worn off yet, so all I can confirm so far is that new T30s are way better than 7250-mile Michelin PR4s. Will post some pics when I get some (next time I'm home in daylight!).

• Member Contributer

Just replaced my rear PR4 yesterday, did 15,938k's on it. Its interesting that Michelin are still making the PR2's so went back in time and had the PR2 fitted as it was a fair bit cheaper than the PR4 and after having a good look at my records with the PR2's I am easily getting as good if not better longevity from the PR2's

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Same here. PR2's are my go-to tire - I figure on using them as long as Michelin keeps making them.

I'll agree with that. Good tire with good grip and great life. Just my opinion.

You can see what he means about the bigger grooves. I was out on them this morning once the fog cleared and the sun came out (welcome to an English autumn, lovely day it turned into out here in the east!), the roads were still damp but these didn't even twitch.

post-13632-0-87304900-1446390171.jpg

post-13632-0-25895600-1446390220.jpg

Archived