Tyre Advice

mikmcd

my tyre guy said Evos are stiff and don't like white lines. I've just ordered a set of metzeler Z8s which I had on my last bike (versys 1000) and were good allrounders and also good for 8000miles. Not being fit until middle of next month though when I get 1yr service

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dunlop q3s are amazing in the rain. the front will last forever. Ive got 2 track days plus an aditional 3000 miles of street riding and it still looks like new. The rear was done after about 4000 miles.

Michelin PR4s at 4050 miles.

Sorry off topic. You seem to have an Abba stand, how come not using the center stand?

The Abba doesn't mark my driveway! Also, I use the tool tray attachment so I have somewhere to put my coffee. :tongue2:

Seriously, I also have the front-lift arm and I'd had the front wheel up earlier.

• Member Contributer

My front Q3 was done at 5500 Kms

That is pretty good life for a sport tire on these roads in the Southeast US.

What is good tire life on the roads where you ride?

That is about what I expected.

The Q3 front must have a fairly hard center because it was the sides that went first, and that included 2 800Km road trips on straightish roads.

The tire still looks OK but doesn't feel so great especially in the colder weather ATM.

Anyway its gone now and replaced with a new one the same.

• 2 months later...

Michilen PR4's. Worked a treat for a week in cold, rainy Scotland in July.

(Anyone from Scotland able to confirm if there's been a summer this year?!?)

Miffed at Honda making all front tyres more expensive with the non-reusable caliper bolts, though.

• Member Contributer

Depending on where you went. When we were away for a 5 days we had a torrential morning and one rainy afternoon. The rest was glorious sunshine. Wasn't too cold either. On the whole it was generally damp the rest of the month

post-31868-0-74303500-1442145578.jpg

post-31868-0-68884000-1442145696.jpg

I notice a few less than positive mentions of Bridgestone T30s in this thread. I can't comment on their suitability for the VFR as I'm still on the OEMs at the moment, but I did fit them to my CB1000R in replacement for Bridgestone S20s when I started doing more mileage.

When I first fitted them they felt heavy and hard after the S20s and required a lot more effort to get them to turn in. I thought I'd made a mistake but decided to fiddle with the suspension to see if I could fix the problem. I backed off the front preload and compression damping, increased the rebound a little and increased the rear preload. The effect was amazing. The bike turned in at least as well as with the S20s fitted and was much more consistent as you applied more counter steer. Accelerating hard out of tight corners resulted in a lovely predictable smearing action and the tyres lasted really well too. I traded the CB in for the VFR when the T30s had 3500 miles on them and the rear looked like it'd be good for 6000 miles (a rear S20 lasted about 2500 miles).

So, if you switch tyres for something substantially different to your current tyres, it's a good idea to adjust the suspension to suit the tyres rather than simply assuming that the new tyres are at fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Its always better to have the suspension sorted to suit your body weight first. Also the big difference between sport and touring tyres when it comes to putting them on a bike. Sidewalls on a sports tyre are a lot softer for starters.

• 2 weeks later...

Now on my second set of Roadsmart 2 rear and Q3 front. This seems to be the go-to setup for a good balance of grip and longevity for aggressive canyon rides on abrasive pavement. Wet behavior is acceptable and warmup times are minimal.

The front and rear wear at about the same rate, so you don't feel like you retired the front before its time, but grip stayed linear and predictable through the entire life of the tires, which was around 6000 miles on my first set. Reasonable price as well.

Much better late life behavior than any Michelin I have tried.

I'm surprised you got 6k out of your RS2 rear. I only got 3500 out the rear on my first set of RS2's. I went ahead and replaced the rear since the front still had about 1/3 of its life left. That sounds like a good setup you're running, but I'm thinking of trying the Angel GT's for my next set.

I agree completely about the late life suckness of the Michelins. I was really dissapointed in the PR4's. They were great for the first half of their life, but went to shit near the end, even though they still had tread left. Also, I only got about 4500 miles out of them.

I am currently on PR4s. I would say I am halfway through the rear and they have been rolling about 8-9000km (about 5000 miles). Plenty of thread left but with a nice touring plate due to lack of anything that is to consider be called a "turn" or "curve" up here. Sad that is.

Anyhow. I think they have behaved nice, but lately I feel the rear wheel to be somewhat diffuse. Like it is having trouble going straight. No skidding or such, but a strange feeling.

I guess it is only some weeks left of "Bike Season -15" so soon time to do service and such. Due to the strange feeling I also consider a new set of rubbers for next year. I am leaning on giving the Angel GT a try.

I'm surprised you got 6k out of your RS2 rear. I only got 3500 out the rear on my first set of RS2's. I went ahead and replaced the rear since the front still had about 1/3 of its life left. That sounds like a good setup you're running, but I'm thinking of trying the Angel GT's for my next set.

I agree completely about the late life suckness of the Michelins. I was really dissapointed in the PR4's. They were great for the first half of their life, but went to shit near the end, even though they still had tread left. Also, I only got about 4500 miles out of them.

It was in fact 6700 mi, and I was quite surprised as well. Mind you, lots of time in the canyons and proportionately much less on the super slabs.

Identical experience as you on the PR4's, had to change them out with at least 2-3 k remaining. Just horrible feel after a great first half experience.

I should have mentioned that all my riding is fast, aggressive canyon carving. No slab or commuting at all. All my tires have worn out on the sides before the middle.

I'm running the pilot power 3s and the grip was fine all the way to the end. I wore out the edges before the center was gone, and got about 3k miles on the rear. The front was still okay when I replaced the rear.

I am going to try the Dunlop Q3 though because I noticed I have no chicken strips on the front with PP3, and I've heard the Q3s have more margin at the edge.

On my cbr600rr, I've been running Bridgestone S20. Zero chicken strip left on the rear, in fact some rubber feathered past the edge.

Have had a set of Q3 and the rear feels much more planted, while almost a full centimeter of untouched rubber remains at 9.9/10ths

Archived