Tyre Advice

mikmcd

I've now done about 1100 miles on my 2014 VFR800f still with the OE D222s. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the front seems vague on wet or rough surfaced corners. It has never slipped, but I often feel it is about to. I suspect it might be the profile of the tyre.

Anyway I'm thinking about changing to PR4s although the OE tyres still have plenty of life left.

Anyone have any views?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Riding on tires you are uncomfortable with is a waste of time and money. I mean, you bought the bike to enjoy riding right? If the tires make you uncomfortable or nervous, then they are taking some of the fun out of the experience. Or from a different angle: If there actually is something wrong with the tires and grip is compromised, you will wish you spent the money on the tires before you spend money fixing crash damage.

My vote is for replace. You might be able to sell the take-offs to offset some of the cost.

As far as what tires - the 8th gen is, for all intents and purposes, the same as the 5th/6th gen bikes. You should take a look through these threads, they have lots of good opinions on different tires:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77191-its-time-for-new-tires/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75365-pirelli-angel-gt-kebrider-initial-report/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77450-michelin-pilot-road-4-on-a-5th-gen/

The tires that have come out in the last 2 years have been a good margin better than the last "generation" of tires. Back then I would have sworn by the Pilot Power front and Pilot Road 2 rear, but since I've had the chance to experience the Pirelli Angel GT and the Bridgestone T30 & S20 I would not say the PP/PR combo is so hot anymore. In my experience Michelin tires are well built and consistent between production runs but generally more expensive, which I can't say is justified by extra performance over some of the other S/T options out there.

Currently on PR4s and very good they are too. Used them on my previous 6th gen as well, and before that Avon 3D-XM which were also good but didn't last as long as the excellent PR3s I had before those. My brother has Metzeler Z8 Interact on his NC750 and is very impressed, and there's the real Dunlop Roadsmart II (the OE D222s are a single-compound version of those, I believe). Very much a personal choice depending on how you ride and the depth of your pockets!

Historically I've never liked Bridgestones but the T30s have a good reputation - I had some interesting moments on BT020 and 021 so I've never tried the newer ones.

Careful with the T30s. While their grip is good, they have made my NC very wobbly and the ride has gotten bumpy (low dampening). I could never take corners properly with it, and it has affected my (beginner's) riding skills that only continue to develop now that I have the new VFR (I was too cheap to exchange the T30s before they are worn down). They might fit the VFR with its better suspension, but the tendency to just "fall" into corners up to certain angle has made me nervous enough that I will not consider getting them again.

I haven't heard about such experiences with the Angel GT, so that's what I'm gonna get.

My advice FWIW is to fit a sports tyre to the front at least, and depending on whether you value mileage more or safety and good handling more, either a ST rear or a matching sports rear.

It would depend on whether your bike is used for duties such as commuting or having fun in the twisties.

For myself, I only ride for entertainment. My first tyre change from the OEM was a Q3 front and a roadsmart 2 rear (Dunlop), now I am running Q3s front and rear.

I never liked the OEM front, it was vague especially in the cooler weather.

When I had the Q3 front and RS2 combo, the front end feel was transformed, and I could push a lot harder, to the point where the rear was stepping out a little exiting corners, hence my choice now of a stickier rear to match the front.

Its early days, but it really hooks up out of corners now, and feels much safer.

Obviously, running sports tyres is going to cost you more in the long run, but I consider it worth it.

I'm running the Q3 front and R2 rear after running through a set of PR4's. Longevity is good with the PR4, but toward the last 1/3rd of their life the sipes on the PR4's started getting very pronounced feathering. Had no such issue on the OEM's and found grip and cornering to be excellent with the current setup.

post-12595-0-16044700-1429795399.jpg

post-12595-0-31390400-1429795438.jpg

post-12595-0-64755000-1429795567.jpg

Just wondering how these sportier tyres work in the rain. Last year I came down the M1 in England in heavy rain, the forecast called it heavy and persistent rain - lots of spray and standing water - trying to pass the trucks lined up along the slow lane - so doing a bit of speed.

The OE Dunlops are designed to shed this deep water, and I am just wondering if sportier Dunlops are up to the job. I actually like them (granted I am not elbow sliding !)

I cant comment on the wet performance of the Q3s, I try to avoid wet riding if possible.

It looks like the PR4s are designed more for that.

I found myself in a slightly unexpected t-storm day before yesterday on a cold canyon road. The q3 front was just fine, even on slightly dirty off camber downhill curves.

Had to hose the bike off after, it was covered in road salt. Looked like I had done a Bonneville run!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the T30s on my 5th gen. They are a very "Japanese" tire meaning they grip well, are quite, and haven't really worn at all. However, they don't really excel at anything. They are just a "good" tire.

The best street performance tires I've used are the ContiRoadAttack IIs. I'm going to get a set of those again when it's time to replace my T30s. They grip like crazy, are great in the rain, and they have good tread life. Not to mention they had no break in period and they were amazingly confidence inspiring. Really made the ride that much more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the T30s on my 5th gen. They are a very "Japanese" tire meaning they grip well, are quite, and haven't really worn at all. However, they don't really excel at anything. They are just a "good" tire.

The best street performance tires I've used are the ContiRoadAttack IIs. I'm going to get a set of those again when it's time to replace my T30s. They grip like crazy, are great in the rain, and they have good tread life. Not to mention they had no break in period and they were amazingly confidence inspiring. Really made the ride that much more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comment, never thought of these.

Looking to replace my originals, as they have not got another summer trip left in them, they have only 3mm tread, almost on the little wear indicator blocks in the tread. So they could need replacing while away somewhere.

So ordered a set of these Continentals Road Attack II - thanks.

• Member Contributer

To the OP, what is your riding style and the condition of the roads that you trravel mostly?

Are you most interested in tire longevity or grip? Or are you looking for the perpetual motion machine that gives both awe inspiring life and eye-watering grip?

It is very difficult to find a "bad" tire today. I went 25 years promptly removing anything shod with Dunlops due to squirrelly front tire wear on various VFR's. Today the Q3 is my current favorite.

Most riders cannot tell what tire is on a bike if they are properly inflated and did not know what tire was on when they threw their leg over the seat.

Here is my OEM rear tire at almost 4800 miles, the front looks better. Hoping this one holds out until the state inspection/tire installation appointment early next month. I like the way these tires handle, grip, and wet weather traction is great, so Im trying a set of Roadsmart 2's on it next.

IMG_07491_zpse6vxwdvq.jpg

Like you the OE Dunlops seemed fine to me. Certainly worth wearing them out rather than replacing them straight away, (unless maybe you get your riding style from Marco Marquez ! )

Mine have done 7,800 miles (about half of that upright highway use). They need replacing before another trip away, and just fancied something else so going with the Conti Road Attack 2, which are on order.

IMHO nothing wrong with the original Dunlops.

Dunlop%20Rear_zpsoeccahal.jpg

and the front..

Dunlop%20front_zps8c2yxj6c.jpg

Wow, you guys sure get a lot of miles out of your OEM's. Even though I was happy with their performance, I only managed 3k on my rear before it was toast...front had maybe another 1k left, but I changed them both to PR4's. I've been generally happy with the PR4's, but they are doing the same thing as the PR3's did on my 6th gen. They really start to lose their feel in the last 3rd of their life. They just don't seem to maintain the grip as they wear down. Looks like I will only get about 5k out of them, so I already have a new pair of Roadsmart 2's sitting in the garage, ready to go! (basically the same tire as the OEM, but with dual compound and longer life).

BTW, my riding is always hard and fast in the canyons with very little highway and no commuting. My OEM's actually wore out the on the sides before the middle. That's probably why my tire life is so short :491:

Yeah I only got about 4000Kms out of my originals.

My Q3 front has 5000Kms on it and at least 2000 left in it.

I removed the roadsmart 2 rear at 5000 and put it on the other bike and it wasn't even 1/2 worn.

I hated the OEM Dunlops. They were not worn out when I replaced them, but at 2200 miles, I couldn't take it anymore. I had them worn edge to edge, and even touched both pegs down with them, but they follow rain grooves, and squirm mid corner. I never felt like they were going to let go, but they just didn't inspire confidence.

I replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Power 3, a tire that I have ran several times on my ZX7R. IMO, the PP3 falls into a category of it's own. It isn't the stickiest tire out there. The Q3 and new S20 Evo, probably have better grip, but the PP3 has plenty of grip (I've dragged the pegs on my ZX7R with the PP3), good rain grip, and I get between 5-6,000 miles out of them. When I used them, I would get about 8,000 miles on a PR2, just for reference.

I went and scrubbed in the PP3s today, and they transformed the handling of my new VFR. Previous sets of PP3s scrubbed in really fast, and these were no different. First thing I noticed, is the bike no longer follows every grove in the road. In the twisties, I noticed how much more accurate the steering is. I thought the VFR just wasn't as sharp as my ZX7R, but with the PP3s, I think it might be. I can't say enough good about this tire.

That stated, they aren't for everyone. Some people just don't like Michelin, I get that. Others will not need anything more than a sport touring tire like the Pilot Road series, and others will want the Q3 or S20 Evo; especially if they do track days, or drag knees on every single corner with the back end sliding out. But for real world riding, semi aggressive with the occasional knee down, or when you get caught in that freak rain, the PP3 is an excellent tire.

Here they are with just over 100 miles on them.

20150516_170735.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got these yesterday, finally tires with tread instead of riding on wear indicators. Roadsmart 2's. I got 5000 plus miles out of the OEM D222's, these appear to have deeper treadIMG_07641_zpssulmcg83.jpgIMG_07651_zpsjs0wywrd.jpg

Archived