Border To Border.. V2

txsurfer

Well, what can I say? We are at it again!

After a long hiatus on here, Im finally taking a ride worth mentioning. I had to get back to my career and recover from 2 years on the road, got married, bought a home, did the whole 9 and been having fun!

My same buddy and I (and possibly a cousin) are headed out again, but this time, with much more knowledge about routes, what to expect, long distance/endurance riding and all that. This time he has a FZ1 which is about a thousand times more comfortable than the R1 he did it on last time.

In the last thread I talk about all of the reasons why we didnt make it and there were many many mistakes made on our part, the biggest being unprepared and the 2nd being weather... which kind of goes hand in hand with preparedness.

We have decided to ride a shorter route this time and not be so foolhardy. The last trip we had to ride 350 miles just to get the starting point and from there is was 1550 to canada. This time, we are trailering to El Paso which is where we will start. The route takes us to Scobey, MT, which is coming in at 1358 miles. Im thinking 200 shorter will be a huge help! The FZ1 is averaging 160-180 a tank of gas so we have greatly cut down our stops(8 stops at 15min per stop), which lowers our moving average down to 61mph, much more attainable.

We have better gear, better time of year, better comforts on the bikes (GPS, phone mounts, music, unlimited verizon mifi for streaming services) to keep us entertained and less stressed.

We should be heading out from El Paso on the bikes on friday, may 22nd, weather permitting.

Countdown has started. Currently going over electrical on bike and getting her back up to par.

Archived