Vfr 800 Oil & Filter Change

pzpz

(the bike is 2009 abs)

1. After ridging and engine is hot, when can I open the oil drain plug & oil filter ? Is 15 minus of waiting it to cool is enough?

2. is "Honda Original Oil Filter 15410-MCJ-505 compatibil with the Byke?
is Hiflo HF204 good oil filter ?

3. is Agip eni i-Ride 4T Moto 10W40 good oil ?
(temperatures here are around 10-30 Celsius degree)

what is the best oil+filter ?

edit.gif

• Member Contributer
what is the best oil+filter ?

Where's the popcorn smiley? :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Yes it is best if the bike is warm when changing the oil. I always found that cranking the bike and letting it idle for a few minutes was more than enough to bring the oil temp up enough to allow easy draining. If you prefer to ride it to warm it up just make sure the header pipes cool down enough so that you don't burn yourself if you touch them. Either filter you mentioned will be fine and you'll get way too many opinions about what is the best oil/filter combination to use so don't even ask. Any major brand oil/filter combination will be fine as long as you change the oil every 3500 to 5000 miles and change the filter on every other oil change. Before removing your oil filter take a sheet of aluminum foil and fold it a few times and then slide it over your headers and shape it so the dripping oil can collect on the foil and won't get on your pipes. When you are done just pull the foil out and dispose of it with no mess to clean off the headers. Also don't forget to put a thin layer of oil on the seal of the new filter before putting it on and inspect the engine mating surface to make sure it is clean and smooth so it will form a tight, leak-free seal. Last thing to remember is DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the new filter. Many people recommend only hand tightening the filter but I always used a filter wrench to add another 1/4 turn past hand tight. Service manual calls for a new crush washer for the drain bolt on every change but most people will tell you this is overkill and the same washer can be used serveral times.

• Member Contributer

Oil & filter combinations are a subject of extensive debate on this forum. The oil you picked appears to meet the owners manual requirement. It also looks like you have the right part numbers for the oil filter. The most important point is to change oil regularly.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

8k changes worked fine for my 130000 mile 5th Gen.

As long as the oil meets the specs in the owners manual you'll be fine.

For the sake of a few $, I'd always go for OEM oil filter.

JMHO.

• Member Contributer

I'd probably give it a bit more than 15 minutes if the engine is truly hot - maybe 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. You can get a nasty burn if the oil is too hot.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd probably give it a bit more than 15 minutes if the engine is truly hot - maybe 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. You can get a nasty burn if the oil is too hot.

Changed the oil + filter on my 07 6th gen yesterday, let the bike warm up a bit first, thought I left it cool long enough before going at the filter but still burned myself on the exhaust tubes trying to get the filter wrench onto the filter :sad2:

Used Silkolene 10w 40 and a Hiflo HF204 oil filter.

In my experience a bike specific 10w40 semi synthetic is ok for oil and I use either an OEM filter, K&N filter or Hiflo filter...

Archived