suspension built for 200lb rider by daugherty motorsports

custom superbike bars (renthal medium)

sargent seat

givi top and side case racks

zero gravity touring windshield

oxford heated grips

oberon bar ends

power distributor box

square projector retrofit (morimoto xb35 bulbs)

led brake light bulbs

led signal light bulbs (all 4)

usb power outlet on front fork

blue led gauges

power commander 3

FH020AA mosfet r/r

pilot road 4 tires

8 spoke rear rim

yoshimura r77 carbon slip on

Around 78,000kms. Has some scratches here and there but has never been down. Any estimate on value?

• Member Contributer

Firstly, beautiful bike - I owned a blue 2000. Really my favourite ride thus far in my quest for the perfect bike - my '03 is really growing on me :).

Your issue as I see it will be the kms. The GTA has this phobia about bikes with more than 50k kms. Although our bikes can clock to pretty much 200k kms without incident, the market price takes a dive as interest wanes. I've also found that farkles are a rather individual addition, and other than making it a more interesting purchase, does not reflect in the selling price much. A clean stock example for someone looking at a 15 year-old bike is always appealing.

You can see what's up on Kijiji & Autotrader. With a few examples listed from $4-$5k and most have been there since the fall, I think you get the picture. Sadly, I've sold 3-5th gens in the past 3 years (no I'm not a road-sider, just kind of dropped in my lap). All in great shape, close to stock, and all with less than 50k kms. None fetched more than $4k.

My advice to anyone listing bikes is bring it back as close to stock as possible, and offer farkles to the new owner or list them separately. .50 cents on the dollar is still worth more than giving it away for free. Of course if you come across an educated buyer looking specifically for "your bike", then any opinions offered are mute.

You pretty much own the perfect bike and have taken the effort to customize it to suit your needs. Of course on your sig I see you own 2 ...

B4V4 has it pretty much nailed.

Anything that has been "modded" (car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile, etc.) immediately drops in value to me as a seller. Certain things (handlebars, for example) are "excusable as it may be an item that the seller truly did for comfort. If they still have the stock parts, I will often give what the item is truly worth and ask the seller to remove the aftermarket parts, replace with factory parts, and they can then keep and sell the add-ons separately.

Another major problem I see in the powersports market in general is people that believe their widget is immensely better than someone else's widget and thinking that's justification for some ridiculous price. At the end of the day, it's -A- motorcycle. While it has emotional value to YOU, it has little to none to the buyer until well after the transaction is closed. Research the competing products in your area. Understand where yours is different to the plus side and where it's different to the negative. If you see ten bikes for sale, all essentially the same and at the same price, don't price your higher because you have a "better" exhaust/seat/windshield/whatever. If everyone has an aftermarket exhaust, and none of them are selling, it isn't becuase the aftermarket exhaust is not a good one - it's because no one wants that.

The best way to get the ideal price for what you have is to break it back down to stock and sell the bike that way. Then sell the add-on pieces separately. You might get lucky and have an opportunity to throw in an add-on item or two to close the deal with a prospective buyer.

• Member Contributer

if you do start to defarkle your bike pm me. I'm just down the road in London with a stock y2k.

• Member Contributer

Motor Consumer News (best mc mag) publishes used bike value guide twice a year. The most recent one, this year, goes back as far as 2001 VFR800fi. They list the price as $2750.

Motor Consumer News (best mc mag) publishes used bike value guide twice a year. The most recent one, this year, goes back as far as 2001 VFR800fi. They list the price as $2750.

And NADA puts the bike at $2680. Dealer price. In US Dollars.

Powersports does NOT follow the published numbers, though... Prices are typically higher. And... USD won't work for him because he's in Canada.

Something is only worth what someone else will pay for it - no matter who publishes what for "value". You have to research the local market to determine what an item's value is in that specific area.

• 5 months later...

One thing to consider. The fifth gen is really a modern classic. Not that it is in RC30 territory at all but I would consider a clean 1998-2001 VFR to be worth more than a 2002-2003 sixth gen. Now, that is personal preference but any fifth gen under 20K Miles and clean is worth more than either KBB or NADA says. You just have to market it correctly and to VFR owners because they know who wants theirs. You can't be nutty either, your labor doesn't count, the extras you have if they make a deal great but you will likely get more selling those separately. The closer to stock the better the price will be. I'd also have your records up to date on the maintenance. It all counts to get maximum sales price.

• Member Contributer

Allstate just did a post accident appraisal on my 99, and valued the bike at $3750. And that's on a bike that has 96000 miles on the odometer! But I've got new tires, chain, sprockets, upgraded suspension, and a Corbin smuggler seat which elevated the value.

• Member Contributer

Looking at what they are selling for here in Ontario ,somewhere around $3500 if you can find a buyer . Buyers of this bike seem to be very scarce because it is considered to be a sport machine if you talk to the wrong company and insurance becomes ridiculous . I had a quote of $2000 per year for a 2005 .

Allstate just did a post accident appraisal on my 99, and valued the bike at $3750. And that's on a bike that has 96000 miles on the odometer! But I've got new tires, chain, sprockets, upgraded suspension, and a Corbin smuggler seat which elevated the value.

Wagz, you got into an accident? Hope all is alright on your end.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but the lawyers have asked me to keep a lid on things while they hash it all out. I'll create a new thread after it's all wrapped up, with pictures and everything.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/ottawa/near-mint-condition-vfr800/1092092576?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Canadians may like different colors, but if I were shopping, at $3050 I would pick up this 5th gen for the sound of it.

I agree with highsider989, the 5th gen is worth more to me, however, many people feel that "newer is better" so the love of the 5th gen is not universal.

Here is a second example:
Supposedly a perfect bike, stock, $3400.
Do not stress too much about setting a price. If you have the stock parts as some have suggested, put them back on. I think the value of yours lies somewhere between the above two, and the farkles are bonus cash. There are some pricier bikes but they sure look like outliers that would not sell.

Archived