So... I Really Want An Eight Spoke Wheel

digitallyhip

• Member Contributer

And then I saw the ad for this steaming pile. He's asking a weirdly specific $1680. Am I nuts to consider buying it, swapping wheels with my 6th gen, and then trying to sell it again?

01212_d65YixFJM4q_600x450.jpg

• Member Contributer

Maybe you should buy the bike and swap the wheels with your bike and then we'll startup a collection of sorts to pay for the rest, send the bike to Apexandy for him to convert to a street fighter and then we can sell the resulting creation on eBay and donate the profits to VFRD in keeping the site going. LOL

I've personally seen Apex's bike and would LOVE to see him work his magic again. LOL

Any takers

• Member Contributer

There's a 1993 on the Bainbridge Island C/L for $1400 - in much better shape than that. The plastic is all there, but needs some work. That's a lot of hassle to get a wheel - buy the bike, bring it home, part it out or re-sell. Probably easier to just buy a wheel.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Go look at the thing I rescued. That's way too much.

If it's running, clean title, and looks like it was actually maintained in any sort, $800 absolute tops.

• Member Contributer

Lots of good ideas. US bikes are out for me (too much border hassle). Lowballing that bike is a VERY good idea. I'll watch and wait.

Thanks guys!

• Member Contributer

The deals are out there. I was able to grab one recently for Duccmann for $180 shipped with the front wheel too! Split that in half and the 8 spoke was $90! Less if we sold the front wheel for more. I almost went for buy the "whole bike" to get the wheel, but in this case the seller only wanted $500 for the bike, which is fairly reasonable, as I could have easily modified my 5 spoke to fit and resold the bike for the same money. IMO, $1680 is too much of a difference in value for the gain.

• Member Contributer

Keep an eye on international eBay. I just got a 8 spoke from Germany for just over $200.

So are there a bunch of 5th gen wheels out there just collecting dust and available for cheap?

• Member Contributer

Keep an eye on international eBay. I just got a 8 spoke from Germany for just over $200.

So are there a bunch of 5th gen wheels out there just collecting dust and available for cheap?

Find me an 8-spoker and I'll give you a 6th gen with no dust on it! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

There's another one on there now that's been there for a while - for $375, but the seller is not offering shipping - local pickup only. It's in Bradford, Ontario.

• Member Contributer

There's another one on there now that's been there for a while - for $375, but the seller is not offering shipping - local pickup only. It's in Bradford, Ontario.

I always find it funny that someone would post to eBay, the most global site known to man, and yet the only option is local pickup. Kinda limiting their audience.

• Member Contributer

Lots of good ideas. US bikes are out for me (too much border hassle). Lowballing that bike is a VERY good idea. I'll watch and wait.

Thanks guys!

If the bike is 15 years or older it is quite easy to import into Canada.

About 5 years ago I bought a Honda HawkGT in Seattle. Made sure the customs paperwork was in order so bringing it back was no problem. Just had to pay the GST at the border.

Didn't even have to get it inspected to license it.

• Member Contributer

I always find it funny that someone would post to eBay, the most global site known to man, and yet the only option is local pickup. Kinda limiting their audience.

And then you have companies in the US that won't ship to Canada. I don't understand that. They package it, pay postage. What difference where it's going as long as the customer is paying for the shipping cost.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Can't find this one, does anyone have the link.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure, but I was heartbroken when they sent me an email after purchase, stating that after they pulled the tire off, they noticed the wheel was bent. Luckily, they had another one, which they sent instead.

I don't plan on selling my 5th rear. I'll likely keep it and have it powdercoated to match the others so that I can sell the 8 spoke separately if that time ever comes.

• Member Contributer

silverbullet132 is requesting opinions as to the value of a 5th with an 8-spoker. You never know ...

• Member Contributer

Here's an 8-spoker but it's attached to a '94 with extras.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/hamilton/1994-honda-vfr-750-w-extras/1060451157?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's actually one of the better RC45 paint jobs I've seen on a 4th gen. And it has a left exit exhaust but curiously no pictures of that side of the bike. Or maybe owner has just removed the exhaust for the photo as it still has the centrestand, which would interfere with a LEE.

• Member Contributer

Search for "vfr rim" and then sort by newly listed. It's still there as I write - listed on April 2nd.

• Member Contributer

Search for "vfr rim" and then sort by newly listed. It's still there as I write - listed on April 2nd.

Thanks, found it.