Alternative To Factory Fasteners

CHUCK2

• Member Contributer

I've toyed with the idea of replacing the factory ones for a while.

Has anybody tried the Dzus type ones?

Not sure how well they grab and.

• Member Contributer

Dzus fasteners are great, a half twist & they are open. The retained ones are best, as they stay attached to the fairing panel. Not used them on the VFR, but have on previous bikes. Made for racing where they need to remove & replace bodywork quickly !

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

HispanicSlammer has used this type.

Wish I would have seen this before I bought a kit of the factory type. :huh:

• Member Contributer

I've got Dzus for all my '99 front fairing fasteners. The upper ones that connect the sides to the front were simple using the clip on backs. The others required some creativity...

Just those are a simple upgrade and save time when removing the sides. Personally, I just wanted them all to be 1/4 turn. Couldn't manage tool-less, as the front V fairing is too recessed to fit D ring Dzus. Had to settle for 4mm allen head. Leaving the lower side fasteners as stock 5mm allen head bolts of course meant 2 tools required. So finally I got the sides as tool-less 1/4 turn Dzus specialty fasteners. (Long working length)

I've still got two of the plastic Honda fairing clips to contend with. Can't have a Honda without those! :goofy::wacko:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Djeezus never fell of the cross did he? So them fasteners must be pretty good............... :cool:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I've got Dzus for all my '99 front fairing fasteners. The upper ones that connect the sides to the front were simple using the clip on backs. The others required some creativity...

Just those are a simple upgrade and save time when removing the sides. Personally, I just wanted them all to be 1/4 turn. Couldn't manage tool-less, as the front V fairing is too recessed to fit D ring Dzus. Had to settle for 4mm allen head. Leaving the lower side fasteners as stock 5mm allen head bolts of course meant 2 tools required. So finally I got the sides as tool-less 1/4 turn Dzus specialty fasteners. (Long working length)

I've still got two of the plastic Honda fairing clips to contend with. Can't have a Honda without those! :goofy::wacko:

Are there any on this website the same that you used?

• Member Contributer

Do you mean KurveyGirl? I got all of them from her, with the exception of the extra long ones I used on the side. They came from ebay and are intended for Honda (I think) Insight wheel covers, or something...

• Member Contributer

I believe I saw a complete set, looking quite fabulous, naturally, on Warwoman's Y2K, Possum .

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I bought 10 of the DZUS fasteners with the black button head (the type a 4mm allen wrench is used with).

Unfortunately, I'll be returning them.

They're considerably smaller than the factory screws. A 4mm allen wrench is used with them. And with both being so small, they're difficult to use. I had to drill the holes they fit thru very slightly. They also seem slightly too short. The D-ring type is probably easier to use since you have more to grab onto. But I wanted abit cleaner look.

This is really disappointing. I've been wanting these for years.