Braking In Courners

RogueWave

Braking into corners is what is called trail braking, you shouldn't touch the brakes again once all your braking is done for a corner except if an emergency because it tends to want to stand the bike up as well as unsettle things. ABS on most bikes doesn't really work when at lean angles as needs extra sensor inputs more than just wheel speed. There are only two bikes I know of that have a ABS system for lean angle & that is 2015 R1 & ducati panigale.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, it never is a very good idea, unless if the alternative is a worst one... But you can experiment a bit (and I DO mean a BIT) with it to see how it feels, and how quickly the bike will stand up. It's pretty amazing. I am of the opinion that even maneuvers that upset the bike should be attempted, although in a controlled environment and at slow speed to see what it feels like in the case you are caught doing it. But again very carefully, slowly and gradually. That's what I do with my car as soon as the snow come down in the fall. I go to an empty parking lot and try and upset the car in any possible way to see how it all responds and how the tires respond. All interesting to see and you are more capable and ready to respond in case you start losing traction.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

C

• Member Contributer

Bosh has a new system in the works that is supposed to help when braking in the turns. I think BMW was testing it.

What works for me is simple ....Either know the road and its turns before you go into corners, thus, ride it accordingly .... OR ..don't ride the road like you know it when you don't know it ...all this adds up to is the "gradual" approach to how to deal with corners of varying geometry. .

• Member Contributer

Braking into corners is what is called trail braking, you shouldn't touch the brakes again once all your braking is done for a corner except if an emergency because it tends to want to stand the bike up as well as unsettle things. ABS on most bikes doesn't really work when at lean angles as needs extra sensor inputs more than just wheel speed. There are only two bikes I know of that have a ABS system for lean angle & that is 2015 R1 & ducati panigale.

New BMW S1000 XR?

brakes at lean angle/corner entry is quite doable and actually can settle the bike and assist with smooth cornering. However, it takes smooth input and transitions. For most riders who really only seldom ride the twisties...just get all your braking done before the corner entry.

Also the 2015 Multistrada

Bosh has a new system in the works that is supposed to help when braking in the turns. I think BMW was testing it.

BMW has got cornering ABS. You can have a software update at a cost for the HP4 and the 2015 S1000rr and will also be avalable for the new S1000xr when it comes out in may.

Sounds like it's something for experienced riders. I live in an urban environment, so canyon carving isn't even an option. But I do experience gradual curves when getting on the interstate.

Sounds like it's something for experienced riders. I live in an urban environment, so canyon carving isn't even an option. But I do experience gradual curves when getting on the interstate.

Pretty accurate in many senses, but even experienced riders today are out of our breadth in the terms which you phrased this question, as there are MANY ABS variables across the board.

I started racing on a '96 BMW twin with ABS which was great for the track, it was non-linked braking. Progressed onto more race specific bikes which did not have ABS, and things were just fine.

A friend has the new 1290 Duke R and that thing sounds like it has the electronics package of a WSBK machine. I have no point of reference for riding something like that!

I'm no too far way from you in Janesville, just across the border. We can do a spirited day ride to a rally/camp, or go over to the track for a day at BFR.

• Member Contributer

Wave,

There are many, many things, if done wrong on a motorcycle, that will put you in the ER. Braking is only one of them. Local is right, it's all in the variables when you are dealing with physics. In any lean situation on a motorcycle, as soon as the side forces exceed the downward forces on you tire's contact patch it changes from some amount of grip, to some amount of slide very quickly. This will sometimes be controllable, sometimes not.

I do not have experience on any new ABS system, yet, and if they have developed a computer that can cover all the variables fast enough to keep that coefficient of friction high enough to retain control of the motorcycle, that's fantastic. I would still have my doubts about leaning over on wet grass and squeezing the brake.

There are many discussions here on "trail braking" in the Riding Technique forum here, like "More on Trail Braking" from July last year.

Hey, Wave, is a courner a British turn? Like, on a Triumph? :tour:

Ded

PS: Trail Braking is an excellent technique to learn for being safer on the street, in any situation!

PPS: Polarbear, the bike only "stands up" if you fail to apply an equal amount of counter steer to keep the lean angle. Practice that, a lot!

• Member Contributer

Please understand that Trail Braking is FAR different than grabbing a handfull mid corner! The only issue is changing what you are doing. Braking into a corner to the apex is fine. The act of applying the brake mid corner is what upsets the bike. And even that can be mitigated as long as you understand the forces being applied.

Simple answer is don't brake mid corner because that will stand your bike up. Gyroscopic effect, etc....

• Member Contributer

Somewhere I came across an excellent article on braking in corners. It may have been The Pace II. Bottom line, as I recall: smooth application is everything. If riding at 8/10, one has a little less than 2/10 of braking remaining, if applied smoothly. As speed is reduced, you gain more braking room. Hope some of our better researchers can point to that article. Deadofnite has great point about "standing up".

Found it:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/become-a-better-street-rider-with-the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills/

Archived