Mail Order Rvf 800 – Some Assembly Required…

Rush2112

The VFR1200 fork width is 214mm as per most large Hondas (latest 'Blades excepted) which means the top yoke would be interchangeable with that from a CB1000R since they're both 35mm offset and for 50mm forks. So clip-ons or regular bars - your choice. :smile:

Be aware however that the VFR1200 fork diameter at the bottom yoke is 55mm and NOT 54 and so doesn't fit with any other Honda forks which are mostly 50/54.

The stem though looks to be exactly the same as many Hondas. I think it's 224mm from lower bearing seat to top, but that's just from memory. Anyway, you could swap the VFR1200 steel stem for a nice Al stem from one of the other bikes, not that the bottom yoke is any use to any other bike though.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'll dig out my spare 2012 yokes and get a better measurement. I am sure that 2008 on are all the same, i.e. from when they switched to the narrower 204mm width. I am even more sure that the 929, 954 and RVTs were all 30mm (with 214mm width). It's the 2004-7 that I've never handled, but assumed to be the same 30mm as their predecessor. Apparently not. I've since looked at some pictures that indicate they are indeed a smaller offset, but impossible to be precise.

However, with now some doubt as to whether it's 25 or 27mm, we need to confirm. Hang on that was 08 you thought might be 27? Now I'm getting confused.

I might just be getting hold of an 04-07 bottom yoke and I already have 954, RVT and 2012 CBR, so then I'll have the set. :laugh:

Anyway, today I'll dig out the 2012 ones I have and check them.

Again, "FWIW", this article from Superbike Planet on the 2008 CBR1000RR helps to confirm that bike's 204mm fork spacing and 27.5mm offset (as well as confirming the previous version's 214mm spacing and 25mm offset). Thanks for getting the '12's measurements. I have a box full of various upper triple clamps from eBay when I was trying to determine fork swappage options for my bikes--they're relatively cheap and measuring yourself is the best way to know for sure! I may actually have an "MEL" upper, so I shall pop out to the shed later and have a rummage...

Ciao,

Fork swappage. I like that. :biggrin:

Generally I would take what magazines say with a pinch of salt, but it sounds like they know their onions as it were.

• Member Contributer

Sadly, no MEL triples in stock...

I agree about journalists--they usually get their info from the manufacturers' press departments--but this wasn't the only source I found, so I think it is probably accurate in this respect.

Ciao,

Hey, who cares, right? It's only information junkies like me (and I suspect thee) who have any interest as even 30mm offset is I think too low for VFR use.

On that note, I'm going to get some nice lower yokes and stems made at 35mm for 54mm forks. So if anyone's interested...

• 7 months later...

Archived