Mail Order Rvf 800 – Some Assembly Required…

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

Soooo... I was advised by a friend to get my fat a$$ moving and make some progress on this RVF800 track bike...

I got some parts in the mail and made some time tonight...

Got my triple tree installed... it was a bit of a job to get the All Balls roller bearings properly greased. They came dry from the manufacturer... a long time ago I was shown by a mechanical engineer how to properly grease roller bearings by forcing the grease into the bearing through the cage and race gap... if you don't have a bearing grease packing tool this is the proper way to do it. It's messy but works... I use nitrile gloves to help minimize the mess.

Start with a large glop of grease in your left palm if you're right handed, hold the bearing in your right hand and chip away at the edge of the grease with the bearing forcing the grease up through the gap in the race and the cage... when done correctly you will start to see the grease push out from between the rollers; rotate the bearing and work you way around the whole circle... flip, and repeat doing it from the top of the bearing. You've now packed the bearing spaces between the rollers with grease, an even coat on the outside of the rollers and install. Sorry no pics... my hands were full and greasy ;)... and my apologies if everyone already knew that; hopefully, it helped at least one person.

gallery_19432_7528_1430103.jpg

Anybody recognize anything strange in that picture?

You've got a Canadian bike? :happy:

Ciao,

That is what I thought and the VIN plate states that it meets Canadian MV regs; however, my Honda Parts Catalog (14MBGWE1) lists Canadian models as having frame serial numbers of ...RC461... and US bikes as ...RC460... this holds true for all years of 5th gens. This frame is ...RC462... ???

Any ideas why or what market?

gallery_19432_6921_75720.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Soooo... I was advised by a friend to get my fat a$$ moving and make some progress on this RVF800 track bike...

I got some parts in the mail and made some time tonight...

Got my triple tree installed... it was a bit of a job to get the All Balls roller bearings properly greased. They came dry from the manufacturer... a long time ago I was shown by a mechanical engineer how to properly grease roller bearings by forcing the grease into the bearing through the cage and race gap... if you don't have a bearing grease packing tool this is the proper way to do it. It's messy but works... I use nitrile gloves to help minimize the mess.

Start with a large glop of grease in your left palm if you're right handed, hold the bearing in your right hand and chip away at the edge of the grease with the bearing forcing the grease up through the gap in the race and the cage... when done correctly you will start to see the grease push out from between the rollers; rotate the bearing and work you way around the whole circle... flip, and repeat doing it from the top of the bearing. You've now packed the bearing spaces between the rollers with grease, an even coat on the outside of the rollers and install. Sorry no pics... my hands were full and greasy ;)... and my apologies if everyone already knew that; hopefully, it helped at least one person.

gallery_19432_7528_1430103.jpg

Anybody recognize anything strange in that picture?

You've got a Canadian bike? :happy:

Ciao,

That is what I thought and the VIN plate states that it meets Canadian MV regs; however, my Honda Parts Catalog (14MBGWE1) lists Canadian models as having frame serial numbers of ...RC461... and US bikes as ...RC460... this holds true for all years of 5th gens. This frame is ...RC462... ???

Any ideas why or what market?

gallery_19432_6921_75720.jpg

In this context, "AC" refers to California, and "A" to 49-state bikes. Canadian-spec bikes are not included in the Parts Catalogs published by American Honda; you have to look in the "worldwide" Parts Catalogues to find European, Australian and Canadian bikes... (And there is yet another version of the parts catalog for Japanese domestic market bikes!)

The "2" in Honda motorcycle VINs has traditionally referred to Canadian market bikes, and it is also true in this case (I just checked my RC46 Parts Catalogue): you indeed have a Canuck VFR!

Ciao,

Wow. This thread has inspired me to try to do something similar with my mail order bike. Right now I have:

- 1999 full engine with the swing arm attached.

- 2004 R1 full front end with rotors, wheel, calipers, master cylinder, levers etc

- Rear wheel.

- Red Gas tank

- vfr 800 subframe

- Clean 2000 Texas frame with title.

Of course, I will wait until you are done to since I am new to wrenching on things still.

• Member Contributer

Rush, yer in St. Louis? I am in the Metro East. If you need an extra hand some time I'd be happy to swing by and help.

Thank you for the offer! I'm actually in a little town about 30 miles SW of St Louis... I just use STL because no one would have heard of where I actually live :)

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Any more news on the project Rush, haven't seen any updates in awhile.

Hey ZZ!

Thanks for checking up on me... I put down the trackbike parts and spent the last 2 weeks before TMAC getting my road 5th gen ready for the trip; which included installing your beautifully polished pressure plate and access cover along with Seb's clutch window! Thanks again for the amazing work you did! I put 2,400 miles on it in 8 awesome days of riding! A minor mishap sprained my right thumb so I have been avoiding wrenching until I can put some pressure on my thumb...

However, the past few weeks was not spent totally ignoring the project :D I worked with JD the suspension guru and he made me a custom modified 929 shock to fit the 954 swingarm and 5th gen frame to give me the right spring rate, valving, and ride height... our resident machine artist Seb has fabricated the custom swingarm collars/bearing races to help me adapt the 954 swingarm to the 6th gen lower cushion and machined 1mm off the front wheel spacers to help them fit the USD forks mounted in the 929 triple trees....

Collars/races & spacers are in the mail and the shock is here... looking to pick back up where I left off this weekend and should have pics & updates in the near future.

:beer:

Wow great build. New to the site and the VFR world. Coming from Vintage 70's and reading and seeing vintage builds this one is sweet as they come. Looking forward to updates and subscribed!

• Member Contributer

Hi Rush.

I would like to know if you have some idea about the exhaust pipes routing, once installed the new swinging arm, don't seems there's much room for the tubes. Especially for the final pipe, running to the slip-on.

CIao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Hi Rush.

I would like to know if you have some idea about the exhaust pipes routing, once installed the new swinging arm, don't seems there's much room for the tubes. Especially for the final pipe, running to the slip-on.

CIao, Luigi.

Hi Luigi,

I plan on running a two muffler system similar to the Lucky Strike bike on the first page that has no bodywork... Essentially, the rear two primaries will take the conventional route down under the bike and merge and the secondary pipe will be a left exit up to a high mount CF cylindrical muffler; front primaries will pass underneath and merge with a secondary pipe exiting on the right to a high mount CF cylindrical muffler... if possible, I may try to replicate the 5th gen cylinder pairing (1-2, 3-4) underneath, but that would be much more difficult and may not offer any benefit other than different exhaust note.

• Member Contributer

Russ, What is the difference in weight between the 954 and 5G swingarms?

Looking great with the pics on page 7!

• Member Contributer

Russ, What is the difference in weight between the 954 and 5G swingarms?

Looking great with the pics on page 7!

Thanks Keith! I've never had a 5th gen swingarm in my hands... or on a scale for that matter, so I can't help there. I did weigh the 954 swingarm earlier but I can't find the notes. I know it was lighter than the 929 swingarm; I'll re-weigh it with the axle, adjusters, new bearings, and necessary collars+races that Seb made to see what the resulting total is and post the numbers.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. You re-weigh your part and I pick up one of the VFR swingarms that I trip over on my way to the garage fridge and weigh it.

• Member Contributer

Hi Luigi,

I plan on running a two muffler system similar to the Lucky Strike bike on the first page that has no bodywork... Essentially, the rear two primaries will take the conventional route...

Hi Rush.

I quote too this solution, is the easiest to try when there's space problems. I think too to install a 919 rear swingarm on my project and having no room to exhaust pipes is most trouble. Here in Italy many VFR owners in the italian forum snort the nose when they hearing about rear swingarm swap, 'cause for many of them the OEM swingarm is one of the VFR "distinction sign" with V4 engine scheme, but pulling out a track bike from a VFR, essentially born for sport touring, weight reduction and handling is the first goal, almost more than the engine power.

I'm according with you for the difficult to meet exhaust pairing (1-2 and 3-4) the pipes measures and the work of junction for the different distances of each cylinder makes this design hard to reach

For the moment i choose to keep the OEM swingarm 'cause i've finished the all four cylinder routing primary pipes, i just to finish the compensation chamber e decide for final pipe routing. The scheme is a "four in one " that are permitting a more easy solution about the single pipes connection, mantaining the same lenght for all four of them

I will follow your work, i find it very interesting.

Ciao, Luigi.

• 2 months later...

I think the best thing about living in the future is that when I have a great idea (and I have a lot of them), there's usually someone who's already figured out what I need to know! Thanks for your posts, Rush2112, this is really great.

Can you share the dimensions of the swingarm collars that Seb has machined for you? I'm dying to know them, as well as whether you had to account for sprocket offset.

Also, did I understand correctly that you're using a 6th gen "cushion"? Now that you've blazed the trail, I'm getting more and more eager to follow in your footsteps!

• Member Contributer

Hey Rush

Not sure how I missed this thread.

Woo Hoo

This is cool.

The profile of the frame, engine and swingarm looks great.

Keep up the good work.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Hey Rush

Not sure how I missed this thread.

Woo Hoo

This is cool.

The profile of the frame, engine and swingarm looks great.

Keep up the good work.

Phil

Thanks Phil!

With inspiration like you I feel a little embarrassed when I slack off and don't get anything done for a few weeks (... or months)... meanwhile you swap a motor in an afternoon between lunch and tea!

I should have a little time to wrench and will be posting some updates including Sebs pretty little swingarm spacers in the near future...

• Member Contributer

Can you share the dimensions of the swingarm collars that Seb has machined for you? I'm dying to know them, as well as whether you had to account for sprocket offset.

Also, did I understand correctly that you're using a 6th gen "cushion"? Now that you've blazed the trail, I'm getting more and more eager to follow in your footsteps!

I am using a 6th gen cushion to allow for the installation of proper rearsets. I'll share the collar dimensions when I post up the installation pics...

...unless Seb wants to start a side business selling kits :goofy:

Regarding the sprocket offset... surprisingly, the 954 swingarm pivot outer dimensions are identical to the VFR800 swingarm so there is no adjustability side to side with the swingarm... I have the measurements somewhere, I'll post those up too. The collars fill the space between the inner swingarm pivot bearings and the rear engine center mount casting. The sprockets lined up perfectly with the 954 wheel and spacers installed and the front and rear wheel center lines were perfectly lined up too... I checked both with lasers during the dry fit, I will confirm when I get the everything installed and buttoned up proper tight.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rush

No embarrassment needed.

What you are doing to really well thought out.

I agree with Luigi, the rear pipes are going to be a challenge but doable.

Keep slogging away.

Cheers

Phil

Archived