Brake Piston Damage Gen 8

vtwindr

From memory, it wasn't too bad. I think there was a total of about 25% of taxes (VAT and import duty), which sounds bad, but the cost of buying the parts from somewhere in the uk was so much more expensive it was ridiculous. 

Having said that though, not sure if the current exchange rate makes the costs a bit more equal...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
4 hours ago, StubyDoo said:

Did you get stung with import tax?

HMRC allows $25 import of commercial goods before taxes are payable on all of it

The taxes are cost of goods Plus shipping and insurance X 20% vat, Import duty may also be applied at 10%, if it's sent USPS then the Post Office will charge £10 handling fee .... these fees vary and can be different for the same item going through different offices

I would estimate your total bill for 8 to be around £280 

Ive sent and received stuff from the USA for years, sometimes it can take weeks before you get the bill then longer to get the item, sometimes less than a week and it's yours .... it's quicker now as you can pay online

Good luck

• Member Contributer
On 2 April 2017 at 8:38 PM, vtwindr said:

Just like mine were . I use an independent now who gives them a good coating in red rubber grease each service and the new ones have been fine

If you have the old ones Poeton Abtec are willing to look and see if they can help

• Member Contributer

Thanks JZH I spoke to Powerhouse, this is their reply:-

We don’t have replacements for the original plated mild steel Tokico pistons -  we can get them OEM but don’t,  because they rot like tin foil.

Instead, we have them made in stainless steel.

They’re £19 each or we do the full set of 8 for £119.

They also do the seals

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Thumbs said:

Thanks JZH I spoke to Powerhouse, this is their reply:-

We don’t have replacements for the original plated mild steel Tokico pistons -  we can get them OEM but don’t,  because they rot like tin foil.

Instead, we have them made in stainless steel.

They’re £19 each or we do the full set of 8 for £119.

They also do the seals

Excellent.  I went to the dealers on Saturday but my bike is now out of warranty so I'm not hopefully of any help from Honda though I feel this is a safety issue.  Once I hear back and Honda won't help I'll be getting some from Powerhouse.  Anyone know the cost of the seals?

• 3 months later...

I've just found the same thing on my 2015 VFR.  (Pictures attached).  I agree: no way this is corrosion.  Bike is out of warranty, but I'm going to drop into the dealer and see what they say anyway.

By the way, what I did find was the pads on one side were worn out, but the pads on the other side were hardly-touched, because they had seized in the calliper so tightly that .  (The pad backing had corroded quite badly, and the calliper was quite rough inside too.) Took a fair bit of whacking to get them out.  So, I'm wondering whether the chips are caused by uneven pressure caused by the corrosion on the backing?

Is the problem that these Tockico callipers are rubbish?  (p.s. I replaced the stock pads wth SBS, and the improvement was astounding!  Not saying SBS is great, just that they're like chalk and cheese compared to what was on there before.)

20170801_201916.thumb.jpg.9b7fdc98c9546c3afbc5d69a1918d4fe.jpg

20170801_201906.thumb.jpg.bbab8232def59508f3ea44ea2c2c62ac.jpg20170801_201912-1.thumb.jpg.c8309d2d1a1318de077f91c27d31e979.jpg

• Member Contributer

The problem is the Tokico pistons are rubbish, see my post above where Powerhouse refuse to stock them as "they rot like tin foil"

Powerhouse do a replacement set of a vastly superior product for £119, this is for both sides

The rear piston is a Nissin and doesn't suffer from this problem 

Archived