New Oil Thread For Winter!

Baileyrock

My brother sent me this link, Seems like pretty solid info.

Something to read this Winter!!!

540 RAT – TECH FACTS, NOT MYTHS MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Top Rated oils w/o additives added: ( This first one is Not recommended on any vehicle with a Cat )

4. 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi
This Motorcycle Road Racing oil is from France and comes in liter bottles (slightly more than a quart). At the time this oil was tested in spring 2014, it cost $24.25 per bottle. And with the shipping cost added to that, the final cost was about $33.00 per bottle (shipping was all inside the U.S.), making it THE most expensive motor oil I’ve ever tested. But, since this oil is in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category and is ranked number 1, for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives, you could say you at least get the best possible wear protection available, for that super high price. This is an extremely impressive motor oil just as it comes, right out of the bottle. So, no aftermarket additives should be used with this oil, because that would only reduce its capability overall.
zinc = 1724 ppm
phosphorus = 1547 ppm
moly = 481 ppm
calcium = 3141 ppm
TBN = 7.4
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

7. 5W30 Oil Extreme Motor Oil, API SM synthetic (per the Oil Company, even though synthetic wording is not shown on the label) = 110,286 psi

The Company claims this oil contains their proprietary formula of calcium petroleum sulfontate EP (Extreme Pressure) technology that is NOT found in any other motor oil. They also claim that it will provide 5 to 7 more HP, 7 to 10% better fuel mileage, cut engine wear in half, and will extend drain intervals two or three times safely. This oil is endorsed and promoted by Tech Author David Vizard. And he was so impressed by this oil’s performance that he also became a share holder in the Company. The results from the “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” performed here, fully supports their claim regarding wear protection. So, their hype about that, turned out to be absolutely true. And since this oil beat nearly every high zinc oil I’ve ever tested, it also proved another one of their claims, that using zinc as the primary anti-wear component, is outdated technology.
zinc = 765 ppm
phosphorus = 624 ppm
moly = 52 ppm
calcium = 7,652 ppm
TBN = 23.2

10. 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 105,875 psi

zinc = 801 ppm
phosphorus = 842 ppm
moly = 112 ppm
calcium = 799 ppm
TBN = 7.5

Looks like I'm staying with Mobil 1 5w30.

BR

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Rotella T6 121st on the list of best oils. Not good.

Here's you a quote :

"BOTTOM LINE: Thinner oils are better for most engine lubrication needs."

• Member Contributer

I'd like to see his test apparatus. I wonder when BLS-Larry will chime in. I have been running his M1 0-40 in my '97. STOS. (slicker'n owl snot)

• Member Contributer

BR--Don't you have to ban yourself now?

Isn't one of the commandments: "Thou shalt not intentionally start an oil thread." :goofy:

As to oil, I'm in favour ...

• Member Contributer

I'd like to see his test apparatus. I wonder when BLS-Larry will chime in. I have been running his M1 0-40 in my '97. STOS. (slicker'n owl snot)

When will Larry chime in???? Heck... I read most of the article and it sounds like Larry wrote parts of it!!!

They author and Larry are certainly in agreement on topics of oil flow, lubrication, and internal engine component temperature as it relates to oil flow and viscosity... the author, along with actually testing the oils, also carries the following credentials:

Mechanical Engineer

U.S. Patent Holder (Mechanical Device for Military Jet Aircraft)

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)

Member ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)

actually that motul is fine with a Cat as long as you don't burn oil. However the add pack is very strong, and more than likely is trying to get that 5w30 to hold up in a motorcycle, it definitely has a far better chance than those light weight car oils 5w30's.

• Member Contributer

How about cold weather performance? I want to know what oil to run when it is so cold your snot freezes in your nose......

• Member Contributer

:mad:

121. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL = 67,804 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

• Member Contributer

:mad:

121. 5W40 SHELL ROTELLA T6 Diesel Oil, synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4, SM, SL = 67,804 psi

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

Article Quote: "The poor wear protection performance of all but the one particular top ranked Diesel oil, makes it very clear that in general, Diesel oils are a poor choice for High Performance gas engines."

• Member Contributer

Rotella T6 121st on the list of best oils. Not good.

Here's you a quote :

"BOTTOM LINE: Thinner oils are better for most engine lubrication needs."

The only good thing for me is I always change my oil between 1500-2000 miles so even tho Rotella T6 was 121 I changed it early .

The new bike has T6 in it now because I just changed it 5 days before Kevin post this thread so back to Mobil 5W30 Syn.

• Member Contributer

I had just picked up a case of M1 5w30 based on Larry's feedback and this gentleman's test results strengthen that argument and really eases my mind...

I almost want to drain the T6 without running and warming it up first!

• Member Contributer

I stress my engine every time I ride... the engineer did oil wear stress tests on 151 types of oil and M1 5w30 is in the top ten and available almost everywhere. I've been using 5wXX oil for a decade for the same reason Larry and the blog author state and I agree with the logic & physics it is based on. The oil I'm currently using ranked #121. I'm a scientist by training and pride myself on intelligent decision making based on the best available data... that is not a sheep.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Bailey... I love oil threads and that author too... it's like I found a brother... have you sent a sample of your oil off to Blackstone Labs???

• Member Contributer

I know BLS has not for any useable runs.

I decided to test whether a motorcycle specific oil produced better

numbers than a Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO)... Selected were Asmoil

MCT 10w30 and Mobil 1 AFE 0w30... granted the miles are low but they

are miles not in moderation either more like tracks speeds which

simulates the distant my customers cover in a year of racing or track

days... my customers are usually consummate riders with enough spare

cash to afford to own any exotic homologated racer they desire from

the Golden Years of World Superbikes or a Desmosedici... ..

You can see the wear and shear slightly favored the M1 but was up to them

whether they want to spend $64.75 OCI @ $12.95 qt for Amsoil or $27 OCI

@ $5.40 qt Mobil 1...

Mobil 0w30

MrRC45BlackStoneLab1.jpg

Amsoil 10w30

Mr.RC45UAO58K_zpspzoymbiu.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think there is some damn good data here, use it as you wish! :beer:

Adding to that sentiment here is a good explanation how oils are graded...

[video:youtube]

• Member Contributer

How about cold weather performance? I want to know what oil to run when it is so cold your snot freezes in your nose......

API ranks the first number and the letter W from the newest to the

oldest on its ability to lube your engine during critical start up...

Watch the Amsoil video in my post for details...

0w

5W

10W

15W

20W

If you wish to employ the latest in cold start technology then you want an one with an API

rank of 0W...

I LIKE MOVIES, THX LARRY.

• Member Contributer

I LIKE MOVIES, THX LARRY.

And popcorn !!!

Archived