Sport Touring Boots That You Can Walk A Mile In

Q-Dawg

• Member Contributer

Well I ordered up the Mono Fuse from Alpinestars, and they arrived a couple days ago. Tried on and they initially seemed like a good fit (but a bit more snug width wise compared to my Sidis), but I kept them on for a while sitting at my computer desk and I could tell they are too tight accross the side and top bridge of my foot. Too narrow! I guess they go back.

Going to try on some other choices, but it is looking more like wider boot choices needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

"Sport Touring Boots That You Can Walk A Mile In"

Worried your bike will run out of gas? :491:

Honda VFR, probably worried the R/R will fail. :wink:

If I ever end up on that side of the Atlantic I might consider a visit to Alt-Berg but the cost model is unattractive otherwise.

I've had a few pair of TCX boots, only one pair ever had an issue, that was the shifter protection pad coming loose from the leather, on the right foot. They were always comfy, perfectly waterproof (even the damaged one) and sported a wide fit, crucial for these EEE flippers of mine. The newer version of the model I like supposedly has a larger toe box which not everyone seems to like.

A pair of BMW boots that were supposed to be waterproof were not, but a replacement pair was OK. Very comfy too, though not as much room as the TCX for my ginormous calves.

An acquaintance of mine spoke very very highly of his $350 Sidi On Road boots but for $350 I should hope he was happy.

I have Sidi Adventure Rain boots. Lean more towards adventure touring, good protection, comfy and are walkable if you want to go on a short hike/walk. They are also goretex and waterproof.

They fit fine for length but are relatively narrow for width across the balls of the feet.

• Member Contributer

Daytona Roadstar GTX - a German boot available in US for about $450. Best boot I have ever owned. Waterproof, great quality and I have walked miles in them.

Don't touch TCX with a bargepole...my son had some and they're rubbish.

Unfortunately for you "over there", the best biking boots in the world would probably cost too much and as they have a made to measure service, it may prove difficult to get them properly fitted but Altberg make the best biking boots in the world. I have worn my pair for over 10 years, in all weathers, all day long on many occasions and they have never let a drop of water in, are warm through the winter and not overly warm in the summer. They're all day comfortable and you could easily go for an extended walk in them and be perfectly happy.

And no, I don't get a commission but seriously, they are brilliant boots.

+1 for Altberg. Brilliant boots if they fit you and they are available wider fittings (their standard fitting is also wider than most Italian-made/sourced boots). The Daytona are also a very good boot for a slightly wider fitting, even in standard trim - well worth trying.

Waterproof sport touring boots that breathe and can comfortably be walked in for a mile or two.

I refuse to pack shoes on the VFR, and I have suffered on some short hikes for too many years with my Sidi Vertebrae boots which really have great protection but suck for walking. Time for a change.

Well, to walk comfortably for a mile or two, waterproof and breathable, is a pair of hiking boots. ( Danners are what I prefer.)

Sport-touring cross country I wear my full on Gaerne Moto-X boots with a pair of Chacos or Tevas quickly accessible; usually they are carabienered to a webbing net I'll have covering the rear.

The list of what you have for options are what I wear on the track, and that's about it. Maybe for a day ride if the forecast is perfect. Most of my old racing boots are comfortable for walking around as long as you want to, but that's not what they're made for and wear out quickly.

• Member Contributer

I picked up the Alpinestars Gran Torino and very happy with them. First and foremost, they are a riding boot. But they are comfortable all day long, waterproof (Goretex) and easy to walk in. Only gripe is I wish they had a bit more aggressive tread on sole, but a replacement sole can probably fix that too. Pretty good compromise for me, and the most comfortable boot I tried on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I own a pair of Oxtar (Pre TCX) gore-tex sport bike boots with primo ankle protection:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/

I wear size 14 sized shoes so motorcycle boots can be a problem to find. However ,two things about the Oxtars stood out (besides the gore-tex). First, if you have big calves there's enough adjustment to handle those with Steers (not calves) in addition to those with normal sized legs. Second the fit was true to size...not too wide, not too narrow...right on.

Mine or 13 years old...I wear them for about 7500 to 10,000 miles a year on my Honda VFR...they work, I've hiked miles in them...but they aren't the best for hiking. However in general they are comfortable and they will do some hiking, but not the grippiest soles.

I've been very satisfied in them...they've survived two accidents and saved my right ankle from being crushed by the front wheel of a BMW R1150S...I just got a sprained ankle...the ankle joint of the boot popped out, but it went right back in and works to this day.

My sliders need replacing though...gotta find some better toe sliders...good news is they don't fall off like some other brands...

Matt

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the Gaerne any they are comfy and waterproof. Even forgot my dress shoes and had to wear them at work all day. A little warm, but comfortable. Quality seems good so far. Took some time to break in, but it was worth it. TCX are not that great. Tried a pair and sent them back.

• Member Contributer

Alpinestars SMX-5wp and SMX6-wp have served me VERY well in Raincouver. I bought the Web boot first and it leaked immediately, so spent my refund on the upgrade to SMX-5wp. Five years and about 50,000km later I had worn them out and so bought the SMX-6wp to replace them. More protection, same fit and finish and comfort. And they saved my right foot when Mrs Hip tried to kill me. I'm a fan.

• 1 year later...
On 3/1/2015 at 7:38 AM, Switchblade said:

fastlane.jpg

I got a pair of these coming. Let you know later.

Way old thread, but I did not revive it. Anyway, how are they? My favorite boots and most comfortable footwear ever outside a pair of slippers is my Z Custom boots. Too bad they do not do boots now, I will have to try Bates, the Z's are over 10 years old. Holding up, but getting old.

• Member Contributer
On 6/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Way old thread, but I did not revive it. Anyway, how are they? My favorite boots and most comfortable footwear ever outside a pair of slippers is my Z Custom boots. Too bad they do not do boots now, I will have to try Bates, the Z's are over 10 years old. Holding up, but getting old.

Bates are great boots BUT they are a  little heavy.

12 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Bates are great boots BUT they are a  little heavy.

Thanks. I'd think that means they are good foot protection. :fing02:

Archived