Sport Touring Boots That You Can Walk A Mile In

Q-Dawg

• Member Contributer

Well, I am also looking for new boots.

Waterproof sport touring boots that breathe and can comfortably be walked in for a mile or two.

I refuse to pack shoes on the VFR, and I have suffered on some short hikes for too many years with my Sidi Vertebrae boots which really have great protection but suck for walking. Time for a change.

I am not considering choices with full laces, such as the Alpinestars CR-4 which otherwise look perfect, because I have concerns about getting laces caught up in controls. I have tipped the bike over once because of it (in the driveway, I was wearing my shoes) and it won't happen again. Must have at least a quick lace system with a cover at the top.

All (GTX) boots = GoreTex

Have it down to:

- Sidi Canyon GTX - Looks like a bit of an adventure influence: has one ratchet buckle and beefy tread on bottom. Expensive and hard to find where I have shopped.

- Alpinestars Gran Torino GTX - Tried on. Feel a bit thick but comfortable to walk in. Wouldn't mind beefier sole for rougher terrain but pretty decent. Good price locally, in stock.

- Alpinestars New Land GTX - shorter boot, simlar to Gran Torino. Grippier looking sole.

- Dainese Lince GTX - Rugged Skywalk sole, again a cross between adventure and street like the Sidi Canyon, but appear lighter and shorter.

- Dainese Latitour GTX - More street oriented boot from Dainese. Not much tread on sole.

- TCX Jupiter Evo GTX - More of a tall riding shoe. Not sure if this is enough protection but it looks comfortable for walking. Only GoreTex waterproof boot/shoe I found from TCX

- TCX AirTech GTX - touring boot with a lot of venting, while still being GoreTex waterproof. I don't tend to be too cold, certainly not in the feet. Not much tread on sole

- Rev'it Apache H20 - Not GoreTex but waterproof. More light adv than street, grippy sole.

- Gaerne G-Impulse - Again, not GoreTex but waterproof. Street sole with some tread.

If it were your money, what would you buy and why?

i would love to hear what you think. I don't want to buy anything else for a while.

I also (sometimes) ride a KTM EXC 530 and have very stiff offroad boots, but I don't mind something that can pull double duty between gravel / light trail on KTM vs touring on the VFR. Probably not a great compromise to try to merge the two, but it is a consideration.

• Member Contributer

I noticed that they are not on your list but I have an older pair of the Joe Rocket Sonic boots that have been a fantastic touring boot. I can vouch for the fact that they are indeed 100% waterproof. They are very comfortable and I have hiked up and down the side of a waterfall with them on. The boots I have offer a much more rugged looking sole than the ones they show online now, but they sure are comfortable. The only modification I made was a set of Dr. Scholls custom orthotic insoles like the ones they sell at London Drugs. Having walked across a 10 inch deep stream on one ride I can attest in that they did not leak and have gone on numerous wet rides and come away dry feet. They look very similar to the Alpine Star Gran Torino GTX boots on your list but the zipper and velcro closure and flap continue all the way up the boot instead of only half way.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty happy with the Sidi Adventure gore-tex.

Waterproof so far.

Decent protection but not a real off-road boot.

Not heavy. Breathe ok. Comfortable right from the start. Size is true to US sizes.

If I could change anything it would be to add a third buckle up the side. I think it might affect the comfort, but I'd like it to be held firmer. A very minor complaint.

• Member Contributer

Don't touch TCX with a bargepole...my son had some and they're rubbish.

Unfortunately for you "over there", the best biking boots in the world would probably cost too much and as they have a made to measure service, it may prove difficult to get them properly fitted but Altberg make the best biking boots in the world. I have worn my pair for over 10 years, in all weathers, all day long on many occasions and they have never let a drop of water in, are warm through the winter and not overly warm in the summer. They're all day comfortable and you could easily go for an extended walk in them and be perfectly happy.

And no, I don't get a commission but seriously, they are brilliant boots.

• Member Contributer

Another not on your list, but definitely worthy of consideration are the Frey Daytona, Trans Open GTX. All day comfort on and off the bike. Rates right up there with my Stich as best money I've spent on gear.

Kenn Engstrom

• Member Contributer

Just as a counter point, I am a huge fan of TCX and have been using their boots for years now. I have owned Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, Sidi and a few other brands but TCX has been by far and away the best for me.

I'm currently using the TCX Competizione S GoreTex and they have about 2.5 years and ~80,000 km of riding on them with only minor wear and tear. I've been in every conceivable weather condition and temperature and they still perform like new.

It's unfortunate your son had a bad experience with them.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the Sidi Adventure gore-tex. Have them and love them. Only complaint is they are a little noisy.

• Member Contributer

While somewhat unconventional, my Asolo GoreTex backpacking boots have served my feet well, through all weather and many crashes. And they are as comfortable as slippers. Protects the ankle bone with padded very thick and tough leather and soles. I wear them year round and they last many years.

I use Alpinestar Gran Torino GTX - they have been great since day 1, straight out of the box. Full use through an Oz summer, so not too hot. Plenty of warmth thru winter, and excellent waterproof qualities.

Have plenty of times parked up in a National Park and gone on a number of walks, so they have utility for what you have identified as your needs.

It's a good boot.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

It's not on your list, but I'm really happy with my Dianese Long Range D-WP.

i crossed a couple things off the list, those are now in consideration. I think after some chatting with folks who ride and sell the stuff, I will stay away from flimsy ankle protection so a couple boots off the list from the TCX line are probably off.

+1 on the Alpinestar Gran Torino GTX.

Love 'em!

Since I actually tried these on, I know I could be content with them too. Better protection than a lot offer too. They are at the top of my consideration, bang for the buck.

• Member Contributer

Do check out the Daytona range if available in the USA.

• Member Contributer

I've had Alpinestars Web boots for several years now. Dry, warm and very comfortable for riding and walking. Not sure about traction for serious hiking though. They've held up well, think I got them in 07.

I would have to give a thumbs up to the TCX Jupiter boot. Just ordered my second pair, after seven years. I have worn them on long tours through torrential downpours and was always dry. I have worn them for the daily commute to work and often just left them on for the day. Super comfortable and I think a good amount of protection.

• Member Contributer

I've had Alpinestars Web boots for several years now. Dry, warm and very comfortable for riding and walking. Not sure about traction for serious hiking though. They've held up well, think I got them in 07.

decent looking tread and on closeout pricing at the moment too!

• Member Contributer

i think it will be between the Alpinestars Gran Torino GTX, Alpinestars Mono Fuse GTX or Dainese Long Range D-WP for me. Hard to choose between GoreTex outer on the Alpinestars vs better sole for walking around in the Dainese. They all seem good. Leaning towards the Alpinestars Mono Fuse.....

• Member Contributer

The Gore-Tex is pretty nice. Gets a little warm in the middle of summer, but it's great for the cooler days. For me, the waterproofing makes up for some extra warmth.

The sizing on the AStars stuff varies from boot to boot too. I have the Webs and a set of SMX-5, both 43. The Web has a much larger toe box and is very comfortable, whereas the SMX are quite cramped, almost feeling like my little toe is forced up over the next one. Pretty sure it's not, but it's a much tighter fitting boot. It might be worth your while if you can get to a shop to try them on.

• Member Contributer

Just as a counter point, I am a huge fan of TCX and have been using their boots for years now. I have owned Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, Sidi and a few other brands but TCX has been by far and away the best for me.I'm currently using the TCX Competizione S GoreTex and they have about 2.5 years and ~80,000 km of riding on them with only minor wear and tear. I've been in every conceivable weather condition and temperature and they still perform like new.It's unfortunate your son had a bad experience with them.
It may well have been a one-off but it happened. Like most things, nothing is 100% good or bad and I'm pleased you have had good experiences with them.

I'd still recommend Alberg....hand made and fitted to your foot. The fact that police and military use them a lot is testament to their quality.

• Member Contributer

I have the TCX AirTech GTX and love them. My feet get hot, and they do a good job of keeping them cool. Have yet to test out the waterproofness of them, but with them being GTX, I'm not too worried. They are comfortable for me to walk in short term, but have not worn them all day off the bike. Usually pack a pair of tennis shoes or hiking boots to go with the activities that I'm planning. I have worn them on some all day riding without problem.

These are my first pair of TCX, I've had them for about two years and so far with quality, I would buy another pair of TCX.

I have a pair of alpinestars which are waterproof ( I've walked in puddles up to my ankles and not a drop soaked through) but I think what makes them comfortable enough to walk in all day long is I removed the insoles and put a pair of orthotics in

• Member Contributer

You might also consider Aerostich's combat touring boots (or the Lite version). I don't have them, but a couple of my buddies have worn them for years, and absolutely love them. Not Gore-tex, and not cheap.

Archived