1998 Winter Overhaul

TNRabbit

Finally started tearing my bike down for it's winter overhaul. Planning to repair or replace all the plastic, send out the forks for customized rebuild, replace the rear shock with a revalved CBR 929 shock, new clutch pack, & springs, strip & clearcoat front & rear wheels, clean all wiring contacts, change oil/filter, check stator, & a general cleaning of collected gunk.

She's stripped down most of the way right now.

post-27845-0-70703500-1424553612.jpg

post-27845-0-29326600-1424553781.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hope the weather is not cramping your style. Very cramped here in MN.

GARAGE!!

I have a garage too; but it's not heated. And temps around here have been below zero F.

I am extreamly jealous.

• Member Contributer

Just finished up doing that same project. The weather's so nice here I took it for its first shakedown ride today. I'm very pleased with the new suspension - well worth it. It always feels good when you're a long way from home knowing that everything is sorted and in good working order.

GARAGE!!

I have a garage too; but it's not heated. And temps around here have been below zero F.

I am extreamly jealous.

My garage isn't heated & temps have been around 0 at night here, too. Use a small space heater~

Question: I was able to remove the entire clutch pack without removing the large nut at the center; what's under there & do I need to remove it just to replace the clutch pack?

ALSO, these 2 spacers were under the last clutch plate; is it normal to have 2, and why does one have a concave profile? Normal?

post-27845-0-69918800-1424593235.jpg

post-27845-0-79524800-1424593260.jpg

It is normal. One should be flat and the other one is conical. They are there to help the clutch plates to release so that you don't get clutch drag

perfect! Thank you.

Hey... While you have that cover off... :wink:

I know, right?!?

I absolutely love your covers, but I just can't spring for that much cash you know already dropping a lot of dough on the clutch, forks and rear shock....

because if I got the cover, then I would have to get the painting and the colored washers & the stainless steel bolts etc....

• Member Contributer

How many miles on the clutch? I replaced mine last winter with new OEM friction and springs at 95k miles. I actually measured the old ones one at a time, and as a stack, and found no real difference new to old. Same with springs.

I only did it because I was rebuilding the bike, and had a new clutch cover to replace my battered original one. No idea what life to expect out of it, so I went ahead and changed them.

I've had the bike since 20,500 and not really babied it. Track days, mountain twisties, etc. No drag strip launches or wheelies though.

Almost 50,000 on the clutch now. The bike has a spotty history & multiple owners. It was slipping all last year so just decided to go ahead and replace it. I did notice the original metal plates had tiny dimples on them & wonder if I should keep those versus the smooth plates with the replacement (Barnett)...

• Member Contributer

It's probably just the springs that are worn out, When I started my upgrades 3 years ago, as soon as I added more power it slipped like crazy, when I stripped it down all 5 springs werebelow service minimum, replaced with heavy duty springs & been fine for last 8k miles.

• 2 months later...

I've kept up this thread on VFRworld but not here as it's a PITA to upload pics from my phone...

THAT SAID, did a LOT to my bike this winter, to include new clutch pack, 15% heavier clutch springs, new grips, new Vibranators bar end weights, Jamie Daugherty 929 resprung/revalved rear shock & fork cartridge inserts, new thermostat, new windscreen, painted some scrubbed spots, brushed the rims & painted the wheel spokes red to match the bike. I hope to have it on the road by next weekend.

post-27845-0-18906900-1430539406.jpgpost-27845-0-78692200-1430539572.jpgpost-27845-0-51225300-1430539678.jpgpost-27845-0-61685800-1430539796.jpgpost-27845-0-43935500-1430539897.jpg

I got a set of the highly touted "Vibranators" bar end weights. I'll do a complete review of them after I get the bike back on the road....delays, delays....post-27845-0-91068600-1430849305.jpg

I got REALLY lucky & picked up a MINT upper cowl w/ headlight & turn signals on ebay for only $150.00!

post-27845-0-79872900-1430849421.jpg

I got a set of the highly touted "Vibranators" bar end weights. I'll do a complete review of them after I get the bike back on the road....delays, delays....attachicon.gif20150424_151025.jpg

I got REALLY lucky & picked up a MINT upper cowl w/ headlight & turn signals on ebay for only $150.00!

attachicon.gif20150322_110841.jpg

great buy..there like rocking horse shit over here

Archived