Official 12Th Annual Texasmac Event Thread 2015

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I do!!!!

(About #9 or so, Timmy might recognise the place......)

post-8974-0-77161600-1431729515.jpg

By the way I see we only have four novice riders signed up this year and a bunch of new people in the advance groups. Please check your egos and go to the appropriate group until you figure out what your pace is compared to the others. Our intermediate guys are pretty darn quick.

This is my 1st Trip up there, I registered as an intermediate but I can go novice to fill out a group if needed. I just want to ride and enjoy the experience.

Before you select a group to ride in, give a list of your favorite on ramps in FL so we get a sense of your style for the curves. :goofy:

Just kidding, but everyone should check their twisty road and track day experience before selecting a group. The roads in Western NC and Eastern TN will tire you out much more quickly and a fatigued rider is prone to making mistakes that can ruin everyone's ride.

A friend of my son wrecked his bike a couple of years ago ending everyone in the groups ride, he had to two up back to the hotel and get a recovery vehicle then haul butt to the accident site and load up the bent Viffer to return to hotel after much bench racing and revelry were missed. I asked him how he felt when we finally got back to the Microtel because he took a pretty good knock.

He replied that he was "okay other than my ego." I quickly asked why he didn't leave his ego at the hotel that morning.

Bottom line, we want a safe and fun experience and there is no trophy awarded for fastest time down Highway 28 (unless you count the awards issued by local LEO's).

I moved here from Florida but I register as an intemediate anyway. Used to take the trip up to the mountains and it always took a couple of miles to get in the groove but I used to do 350 mile days with ease. If you can ride all day in the Florida heat the mountains are not too bad, but you really need to just ride your pace and forget what everyone else is doing. If you start using lots of throttle to keep up then you need to just back it down and stay calm. The great thing about riding in the area is navigation is a breeze so getting lost is nearly impossible and a good ride sweep will always keep you pointed in the right direction.

I led 6 different rides a few weeks ago with some of them my Florida friends and speed was never a factor in how much fun we had. We kept large groups together at all times which is no mean feat and everyone of all skill levels had a great time. Zero stress rides are the best. Except maybe a midweek early AM blast to clear the cobwebs but most peeps don't bother with those flights of foolishness.

KEB

Here I am at a track day to keep up with you, and now you are taking it easy! One of the on track coaches told me I could get more speed out of the straight away, and I informed him that would be great as long as someone isn`t doing 80mph zig zagging across the track over a blind curve when I am doing 150. Plus, Kimball doesn`t do that anymore, so no need. Was the CB500F secret weapon utilized? I am surprised your knees can manage.

Also of note, I had a fantastic ride with a 70 year old guy riding a CB300F. It helps that he was light weight to go along with the bike, but man does that thing corner. Anything under 50mph (which is most of the Snake), he was on rails. Might need to trade in the Beemer.

The CB has a great seating position, it will touch triple digits, is as smooth as most 4 cylinder bikes and yes I used it for the ride leads with 500 mile days to boot, the 200+ mile tank range in sport mode is a major bonus. It also makes a great 2-up bike believe it or not. The only down side to riding the CB is how demoralized some of the guys got that rode high dollar/horsepower sport bikes and could not pace it or when I let them go ahead and then ran them down. Being limited on top speed is the smartest thing I have done since moving here and the bike's unbelievable torque for such a small engine makes you completely forget its size.

The CB is a notch or two quicker than the NC (not exactly most peoples yardstick I know). You can do research and read tests but until you upgrade the suspension and put real tires on one of those little 500s you have no idea how fun and quick it can be. That's all I will say about the CB, as you have not witnessed the mini-missile in person yet but once you ride it you will be a fan.

I went to buy the 300 the day I bought the 500. Ridden back to back the 500 is the

I have one of my own now, really looking forward to it!! That 500 is a sweet bike.

-Ben

By the way I see we only have four novice riders signed up this year and a bunch of new people in the advance groups. Please check your egos and go to the appropriate group until you figure out what your pace is compared to the others. Our intermediate guys are pretty darn quick.

This is my 1st Trip up there, I registered as an intermediate but I can go novice to fill out a group if needed. I just want to ride and enjoy the experience.

Before you select a group to ride in, give a list of your favorite on ramps in FL so we get a sense of your style for the curves. :goofy:

Just kidding, but everyone should check their twisty road and track day experience before selecting a group. The roads in Western NC and Eastern TN will tire you out much more quickly and a fatigued rider is prone to making mistakes that can ruin everyone's ride.

A friend of my son wrecked his bike a couple of years ago ending everyone in the groups ride, he had to two up back to the hotel and get a recovery vehicle then haul butt to the accident site and load up the bent Viffer to return to hotel after much bench racing and revelry were missed. I asked him how he felt when we finally got back to the Microtel because he took a pretty good knock.

He replied that he was "okay other than my ego." I quickly asked why he didn't leave his ego at the hotel that morning.

Bottom line, we want a safe and fun experience and there is no trophy awarded for fastest time down Highway 28 (unless you count the awards issued by local LEO's).

I moved here from Florida but I register as an intemediate anyway. Used to take the trip up to the mountains and it always took a couple of miles to get in the groove but I used to do 350 mile days with ease. If you can ride all day in the Florida heat the mountains are not too bad, but you really need to just ride your pace and forget what everyone else is doing. If you start using lots of throttle to keep up then you need to just back it down and stay calm. The great thing about riding in the area is navigation is a breeze so getting lost is nearly impossible and a good ride sweep will always keep you pointed in the right direction.

I led 6 different rides a few weeks ago with some of them my Florida friends and speed was never a factor in how much fun we had. We kept large groups together at all times which is no mean feat and everyone of all skill levels had a great time. Zero stress rides are the best. Except maybe a midweek early AM blast to clear the cobwebs but most peeps don't bother with those flights of foolishness.

KEB

Here I am at a track day to keep up with you, and now you are taking it easy! One of the on track coaches told me I could get more speed out of the straight away, and I informed him that would be great as long as someone isn`t doing 80mph zig zagging across the track over a blind curve when I am doing 150. Plus, Kimball doesn`t do that anymore, so no need. Was the CB500F secret weapon utilized? I am surprised your knees can manage.

Also of note, I had a fantastic ride with a 70 year old guy riding a CB300F. It helps that he was light weight to go along with the bike, but man does that thing corner. Anything under 50mph (which is most of the Snake), he was on rails. Might need to trade in the Beemer.

The CB has a great seating position, it will touch triple digits, is as smooth as most 4 cylinder bikes and yes I used it for the ride leads with 500 mile days to boot, the 200+ mile tank range in sport mode is a major bonus. It also makes a great 2-up bike believe it or not. The only down side to riding the CB is how demoralized some of the guys got that rode high dollar/horsepower sport bikes and could not pace it or when I let them go ahead and then ran them down. Being limited on top speed is the smartest thing I have done since moving here and the bike's unbelievable torque for such a small engine makes you completely forget its size.

The CB is a notch or two quicker than the NC (not exactly most peoples yardstick I know). You can do research and read tests but until you upgrade the suspension and put real tires on one of those little 500s you have no idea how fun and quick it can be. That's all I will say about the CB, as you have not witnessed the mini-missile in person yet but once you ride it you will be a fan.

I went to buy the 300 the day I bought the 500. Ridden back to back the 500 is the

I have one of my own now, really looking forward to it!! That 500 is a sweet bike.

-Ben

Nice! Hey... Where did mine go? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

A quick question for the locals.

Do the Leo's in your area get fussy about louder aftermarket pipes? I've got a scorpion can and no db killer, that isn't excessively loud, but has "for track use only" stamped on it. Never had any problems in my area but sometimes in places where motorcycles congregate the Leo's have spot checks.

• Member Contributer

Do the Leo's in your area get fussy about louder aftermarket pipes? I've got a scorpion can and no db killer, that isn't excessively loud, but has "for track use only" stamped on it. Never had any problems in my area but sometimes in places where motorcycles congregate the Leo's have spot checks.

If TTC's coffee can is ok I think you're fine...

• Member Contributer

But ttc can flash his bagde..... :-)

I rode Gradus' fully gutted vtec for a week. On the Tail of the Dragon, but also TN, NC and SC. Passed (and got tailed by) cops. No problemo.

But if you can fit a db killer, I would.

If not for the cops, do it for the other VFRD member riding behind you...

• Member Contributer

Never heard of anyone being harassed for loud pipes and there are thousands of stoopid loud HD pipes singing their 50 HP song. Painfully annoying. Hell, you will probably get a letter of appreciation from the local government for breaking up the monotony.

Have the Friday and Saturday long routes(300+) been posted yet? I apologize if I missed it. And in case it makes a difference, we will be riding at an advanced group pace. We will be traveling on Monday and riding the area on Tuesday-Sunday...so would prefer to ride different routes than what is officially planned.

Thanx!

Now it looks like we will be able to get away on Sunday so we will be riding Monday through. Not sure we can get 6-7 days of riding out of a set of tires so bringing the tire changer, balancer and set of tires. So if anyone runs into tire trouble we will have options for changes.

• Member Contributer

Now it looks like we will be able to get away on Sunday so we will be riding Monday through. Not sure we can get 6-7 days of riding out of a set of tires so bringing the tire changer, balancer and set of tires. So if anyone runs into tire trouble we will have options for changes

Decided to get away from those boring AR roads I see!! :fing02:

• Forum CEO

Have the Friday and Saturday long routes(300+) been posted yet? I apologize if I missed it. And in case it makes a difference, we will be riding at an advanced group pace. We will be traveling on Monday and riding the area on Tuesday-Sunday...so would prefer to ride different routes than what is officially planned.

Thanx!

You can probably hook up with Kebrider or some of the other locals, lots of advanced riders.

We are running T30's and figure better safe than sorry. If this extravaganza is anything like the AR get togethers...someone will need tires before the week is out!

And yes Dutch, gotta get out of here for some good roads. Arkansas sucks, nobody should ever come here to ride!

Thanx HS. Already chatted briefly with Keb and he was good enough to invite me along for some rides as we would prefer 300+ days. Just hoping to learn where we will be riding Fri and Sat so we can experience other roads prior.

• Member Contributer

I hear the only places with worse roads than AR are TN and NC. And this may be the year we get 007 to lead a ride though I suspect we may not keep up.

We are running T30's and figure better safe than sorry. If this extravaganza is anything like the AR get togethers...someone will need tires before the week is out!

And yes Dutch, gotta get out of here for some good roads. Arkansas sucks, nobody should ever come here to ride!

Thanx HS. Already chatted briefly with Keb and he was good enough to invite me along for some rides as we would prefer 300+ days. Just hoping to learn where we will be riding Fri and Sat so we can experience other roads prior.

Sounds like you should bring several sets each! These roads Eat tires.

Thanx!

I'll post some former route threads and will just let Leads pick their own rides as most folks do that anyway.

BR

Archived